Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > Brand Discussions Area > Polaris
Reload this Page >

1987 Trail Boss front clutch cover does not fit tightly on rear clutch cover

Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Trail Boss front clutch cover does not fit tightly on rear clutch cover

Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default 1987 Trail Boss front clutch cover does not fit tightly on rear clutch cover

Hi All,
My front clutch cover (p/n 5430771, big and bulbous) does not fit tightly to the rear clutch cover (p/n 5430772, flat and mounts against the engine/transmission). These parts are supposed to fit together tightly and I have two rear covers and they both have the same problem with the front cover. When a bolt is installed at one end of the covers a bolt at the other end is off by 1/4". I was able to manipulate the covers to get all the bolts to align but when you tighten the bolts the front cover separates from the rear cover creating a gap where there is no seal.

Any suggestions beyond keep purchasing front clutch covers until one fits?

Thanks

Last edited by pigseye; 03-17-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: correction and added pics
Old 03-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the covers were known to have warping issues which makes not fit together such as yours. not a real good design since clutches expel a lot of heat in them causing the warping issues.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Stendori,
Really appreciate your response and I totally agree, what a poor design. They obviously didn't account for tolerance stack up and clutch heating of the covers.

I've ordered the three clutch cover clips (p/n 7670051) and will see if I can squeeze the cover on with a c-clamp to install the clips. Hopefully that will make it fit better. If it doesn't I will probably use clear silicone RTV to seal the gaps. It will be kind of a pain if I need to take the outer cover off but after all the work I've done to get the inner cover sealed on the engine and against the transmission, I am not going to go half *** on the outer cover.

Thanks!

Last edited by pigseye; 03-22-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you nailed what I was going to suggest that a lot of us did which is using the rtv gasket material or silicone to prevent water getting in as that is a belt killer. good luck with it for sure.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by stendori View Post
you nailed what I was going to suggest that a lot of us did which is using the rtv gasket material or silicone to prevent water getting in as that is a belt killer. good luck with it for sure.
Glad to hear others have taken a similar approach to what I am going to try.

Thanks again

Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warping

They had a bad issue for several years I ended up buying a new one you could see they redesigned it.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I know they came up with a better cover for the Gen. IV ATVs like my older Sportsman 500s, but that was a Gen. II and I haven't heard if they made a better cover for those or not. Or if the Gen. VI cover would fit that too.