Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 325 Magnum wont start. Very strange?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 325 Magnum wont start. Very strange?

Hello everyone. I've always gotten good feedback from this forum so once again I'm reaching out for your advice. I've been been working on ATVs, Golf Carts, etc for over 15 years but have never encountered one like this.

I recently worked on a 325 Magnum for a customer that had been sitting with bad gas for some time and had a bad voltage regulator. When I finished it was running (and charging) very, very well. It would start right up without using the choke.

I get a call from the customer after a few months of riding that it was sitting, running at idle and then suddenly died and would not even attempt to restart. So here are the facts.
  • Battery fully charged
  • Turns over strong
  • Has strong blue spark that will jump over 1/2 inch
  • Compression is 75. Right in the middle of the range
  • Fuel pump is working. Gas flows and has gas in the carb bowl
  • New air filter and all vent lines are clear
  • I rebuilt the carb previously and added two new fuel filters and cleaned the tank so the likelihood of trash in the carb is minimum
  • Using non ethenol gas
  • Sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it won't even attempt to hit
  • Removed the air filter and blocked the air flow by hand to truly "choke" it. Good vacuum and plenty of gas flowed out as expected

I'm still scratching my head on this one. Never had this much trouble on any I've worked on. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

Old 10-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

Just wanted to close this out. It was a bad plug that "latebird" told me about on another forum. Although it threw a nice blue spark outside the machine, it would not work under compression. Once the new plug was in it fired right up.

Hope this info helps someone else down the road.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I need some advice

Im having the same issue , new fuel pump, new battery, new spark plug. It turns over by the switch getting fuel in the chamber still wont start up. Was running fine and i let it sit for two weeks and it wont hit a lick. Everything checks out ive read through everything you mentioned in the thread and still have no clue what the problem is. Polaris magnum 325 automatic.