Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

FMF vs. IDS vs. Other

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which pipe is best for my '00 Scrambler 500? Costs? Ease of install? Confused as to which way to go, or is their an even better pipe out there? All suggestions appreciated.

Old 11-22-1999, 12:56 PM
Range Rover

I have no complaints on my FMF MEGAMAX II. It took 15 minutes to install, it costs around $185.00, you can adjust the sound level and performance level by changing the discs. BTW I just bought 12 extra discs to put on it but the screws that came stock weren't long enough so I ordered longer ones. Well I did fit 5 more discs on but without the quite core and what an improvement!! I can't wait for the longer screws to get in then I can put all of the discs in. I saw where somebody said that the discs get clogged with mud unlike the IDS (internal discs) but I have yet to run into that problem and I do not shy away from the mud. As for the great improvement in sound, this pipe will make it THUMP real good!!!

Steve 99 Scram500

Old 11-22-1999, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Steve, I have heard the same about the IDS, running around 24 disc is supposed to be the good setup.

I am coming close to getting an IDS, or now, the IDS2 pipe. I like the FMF completely, except for the exposed disc.

Steve, down here the mud is really clay-like in some areas. My whole header pipe is brown with a layer of dirt heat-baked on it that I have to scrape off all the time. After a good mud ride, the exhaust pipe is solid mud, and even the opening has some mud around. I guess it just depends what type of mud you ride in.

I am still debating it, but I am probaly going order the IDS2 somtime in December. I wonder how it will compare to the IDS1 pipe. I will probaly do some timed runs before & after, and also get some good pictures, for the curious. I also want to expierament with different disc, seeing how 6 disc, 12 disc, and 24 disc compare sound wise, power curve (where the power is), and then in a timed drag. Of course real world data too, like hills, mud, trails, whatever.

By the way, I heard worn belts can be caused by running hgih range too much, and ATV Connection said that as well in the Magnum review. Do you think your 25" tires are doing it?

Old 11-22-1999, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

I found a sweet spot with the number of discs. I added only 5 more to the stock setup (i'll count tonight) cause the bolts aren't long enough but now I have more pull and stronger torque than I had before I put the 25"s on. I will tell you the truth I think anybody that has added bigger tires to a scrambler and wasn't happy had to be on a 400. The 2 strokes do not have the torque or raw thumping power to turn these tires but the 500 High Output has more than enough. Just look at the Sportsman, people put 27s on them and they say but it has a low gear, so they don't ride in low gear all of the time and it pulls them fine plus they don't have the High Output engine. I have not come across one mudhole or hillclimb that has required low gear. This bigfoot Scrambler kicks some serious azz. I think I might need the jet kit after I stick the next 7 discs in but maybe not, it has only gotten stronger! I am going to wash it up this week and get a good close pic of it. I just added the M.U.D offroad utility lights on the front fenders for $39.00 and they are twice as bright as the stock lights and look good. They give off a white light instead of a dull light. The tire size has not affected the belt because I know it was probably misaligned before I traded for it. The belt was rubbing the cover when I got and each belt last about three months and then wears out on the outside edge. I just put a dayco max belt on it so it should last a while at least until I find a good clutch shop to fix it. Maybe I should just change the clutch setup, any recommendations on which company and which kit? Woods, mud and hillclimbs and I ride pretty aggresive and I weight around 165. Oh yeah we have alot of clay around here in NC and my head pipe is covered in brown baked on mud like yours but I haven't scraped it yet, I have not had any build up of mud around the discs and I have been in the deep stuff. I do wash it when I get home from mudding and clean around the pipe so it doesn't have a chance to build up.

L8R,

Steve

Old 11-22-1999, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Misalighned clutches could definatly do it! I have the Polaris shop manual that the dealer has. E-mail me privatly and give the details, I'll let you know what it says. I need to do some clutch work too, getting some slippageness (cool word eh?).

Old 11-26-1999, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

has anyone heard anything about the white bros scrambler pipe it is in the new atv sport mag because i need a new pipe and cant decide on which one. it is between the fmf the supertrapp the e seris but not the hotseat all ready have one it sucks

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Old 11-26-1999, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Whisky,

Is it just a picture of the WB on the Scrambler, a press release,or is it a full review? Or just an ad that says "now availble."

White Brothers has a good reputation, I can't wait to see how their turn out.