Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Front Racks

Old 11-25-1999, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's cut out in the front for the 2-stroke oil cap, but the same parts are on the 4-strokes so there isn't much there either.

Old 11-25-1999, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I was looking at my uncles front rack on his 97 Sportsman 400 and I noticed the racks were real small. The width was good but they werent long enough I didn't think. When I stuck an ice chest on it, it fell off. It was still warbley when I bungied it on. I don't know how it is on a 500 or 335 because like I said I just noticed It the other day. Has anyone else noticed this or was it just on that model?

Old 11-25-1999, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I don't like the front racks on most Polaris machines either. They don't go deep enough. A tall rack extender helps though.

For the rear, same thing. Not deep enough.

Just my opinion!

Old 11-25-1999, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Is it like that on the 500 and 335's? I know the reason on the 400 is the front below the handle bars slopes too much. I didn't take a good look at the back racks. I guess I could always get my uncle rack extensions for Chrismas ha ha.

Old 11-25-1999, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

The front rack is still somewhat short on the 335 and 500 (Sportsmen) but the rear rack is spacious.
BushHog
'99 Sportsman 335

Old 11-25-1999, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

The front rack on my 325 mag is the same as the others. All they are good for is to sit on when you stop and talk with your buddies. I made another front rack with side extensions out of 3/4" squrare tubing and MIG welded it then powder coat finish. It sits on top of the plastic rack. It sticks forward even with the front bumper and I made it cut back toward your knees on each side of the handle bars. This made a good place to put on fender bags. On the top side rails of the rack I have two tubes about 6" tall welded 6" apart. This makes it easy to haul long stuff likd posts, weed eater, yard tools ect. It will hold a cooler or a couple of 5 gal. buckets. On the rear rack I put on a milk crate to hold chains, and other small stuff. I know this sounds like a real red neck set up but it works great around the farm.

Dan Daugherty

Old 11-25-1999, 11:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

dand11- Sometimes the real redneck looking setups are great ideas. Your homemade model seems like a good idea. I have a homemade mount for my kolpin gun boot that is made of 1/4 inch angle iron, and seems much stronger than some of the mounts that you can buy. It also came dirt cheap. A little welding and a can of black Krylon.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-27-1999, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah have to agree My Xplorer 250 with the way the headlight is I cant put anything on it at least not if i am going too see at night. I am going to get some other light configuration for it. not that much would fit on it anyway. Thought about taking it off all together.

Old 11-27-1999, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I personally don’t like to have much on my front rack. Initially it’s distracting but there have been times when we’ve really loaded them down for quad camping and I’ve gotten used to all the stuff sitting in front of me. The other problem with any cargo on the front is if you have the “pod” or handlebar headlight you can’t use it if your load is taller than 4 or 5”. At least Polaris gives you the option of using the upper or lower lights, although I wish the high beam switch turned on all three. When you turn the lights on on a Honda with the handlebar light all three light up, you have no choice. Mighty poor planning for a machine with a large front rack capacity. If you put anything tall on there you're blinded by the reflection.

For me the SP500 fits a Fuel Pack perfectly and doesn’t interfere with the Pod light. The only time it leaves my rack is to freshen its contents. On her Mag500 front rack my wife carries a couple folding camp stools in a bag which only stands about 4” high and that works out fine, although because of the narrowness of the rack the stools rest against the “hood” plastic and have it all scratched up.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

[This message has been edited by floodrunner (edited 11-27-1999).]

Old 12-01-1999, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

xepathfinder. Did you mean you were going to take the front racks off all together. If you do that what are you going to do about racks? I guess you'll just use the rear racks. The rear racks on Polaris seem to be big enough. I know I have been on with an ice chest on back with me so I guess it wouldn't hurt to take the front off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polaris Front Racks