Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's with all these huge mud tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does every one want these 26-27-28 inch mud tires that require a lift and chew up CV's like candy? Yeah, it gives you ground clearance, but a 27 inch tire when you think about it only gives 1 inch more ground clearance than a stock 25? So my question is why not just put on a big lift kit and stock sized mud tires and not lose power and not eat CV's instead of putting huge tires and a small lift that robs power and kills CV's?

Old 05-20-2001, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

On both my 99 Sportsman and now my 00 Xplorer I added 26 inch Mudrunners on stock rims and have never busted up a joint cause of it.I stopped concidering a lift kit when I read about all the CV problems associated with adding one.

I like the little extra lift the bigger tires give me,and I really like the added traction supplied by having a REAL mud tire.I dont advise installing a bigger tire on the smaller CC ATVs though,just not enough engine,
Bill

00 400cc Xplorer 4x4
Modified PSI pipe w/Scrambler silencer
Delta V-Force reeds/w spacer kit
26 inch Mudrunners
Hot Seat clutch kit
RcR airbox mods
KN filter/Uni filter
Brass Brakes
Custom Cargo Box

Old 05-20-2001, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

I agree , My sportsman with stock tires on it is far better in the mud than any other brand no matter what they have for tires and lifts. Large heavy tires seem to reak havoc on the Polaris drive train, we already have superior mudding capabilities built right into our machines from the factory. Talked to a guy they other day who used to run Vamps on his Xplorer 400, he said he never would run Vamps again unless it said 1400 Xplorer on the side. He went back to a stock sized tire, Bear Claws and has not had a problem since with drive train parts. And he has stock speed back and goes everywhere he ever did with the Vamps. Not that I am saying that people cannot put whatever they want on there machines they can, but when things break, I hope they won't call there Polaris junk because it won't turn 28 inch tires in 3 feet of mud with out breaking something. It is one of the downfalls (basically the only one) of the Polaris full time 4x4 system, the other guys can run those tires easier than we can, because of the inferior 3x4 system found on them. when 4x4 kicks in on ours there is no give it is all power to all wheels all the time.add that with the extra weight and extra traction is a recipe for breakage. I almost think we needs some wheel give in the mud espcially when we are hard on the gas in low range. but they look cool as hell with those huge kick butt mud tires.

Old 05-20-2001, 10:34 PM
wyd
Range Rover

Everyone I seen with big tire kits have broken parts in the mud. 1 Honda, 1 Artic Cat, and 1 Polaris. Seems it is not worth it for the little peformance gain in the mud vs. cost.

Old 05-21-2001, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I have been running my 27" Mudbugs for almost a year now with no problems at all. If you think about it the tires are not affecting the angle of the CV joints. Its the lift kits that raise the frame of the atv, increasing the angle and creating more potential for breakage.

Old 05-21-2001, 09:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

psychoman,
i have to tend to agree with you that the stock tires do a great job in the mud and that giant mud tires are quite costly..........but DAMN THOSE GIANT MUDDERS MAKE MY QUAD LOOK MEAN!!!!!!!!!(LOL)
see-ya!

'01 sportsman 500HO
2000lb warn
26" outlaws on itp alloys
rest is stock and love it!

Old 05-21-2001, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that they are really hard on your machine. I am replacing 2 broken cv joints, rear axle, and hubs right now because of my tires. I have already spent 750 bucks on wheels and tires so i want to get the most out of my money. Unfortunately about 9 cv joints later i am sick of it. There is no way my stock tires would take me the same places as my outlaws do. It's like night and day. The stock tires just don't clean very well and weigh the machine down. My outlaws make my machine look awesome. Everytime i go riding i always have everyone looking at my machine and want to see how it performs. So they find the worst stuff imaginable and there i go. I can go through anything as long as nothing breaks, which is really rare. If i had it to do all over again i would have never bought the tires and the other mods. I never had a problem before all the mods.

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2001, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

I am running 27 inch mudbugs and without a lift kit. I am like a few of you that decided a lift kit is not a good idea. Its the weakest thing on our atv's and they often break, plus the added stress on cv's and other things. I did have to have the outer tierod ends replaced but that was back when it was decided the old type were not very good. I do have from highlifter, the progressive lift heavy duty front springs with adjustible cams. Did this to reduce tire fender rubbing. So I am running 27's and no lift kit. I do have to say. that going from stock tires and rims to itp magnum billet aluminum rims and 27 inch mud bugs. My machine now can go through mud better then when stock. Plus the atv can go through deeper water now. I thought that was important. In real mud. These tires will slip. Its usually something else that causes breakage. LIke pulling someone out that is stuck or something like that. Ya, it is expensive to move up to these type of tires and rims, so don't do it unless its important to you. thats how I look at it any how. rangerchet 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

Old 05-21-2001, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont agree that the stock Polaris tires are as good or better than aftermarket mudders.My local riding area is living proof of that.

I cant tell you how many times another rider on ANY manufactures 4x4 ATV has said''yah,if I had your mudders,I'd of made that mud hole too''and this INCLUDES some Polaris ATVs too.I dont lift mine,but im surely convinced that the mudders are far better than what Polaris runs stock,
Bill

Old 05-21-2001, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

psychorider,

Some quads can run those tires with a lift kit. I think you have your statement backwards. Its not the tire that is killing CVs, its the lift. The lift puts them at a more severe angle causing them to wear and be weak. With big tires and no lift you will be LESS likely to clow a CV than you would with small tires and a big lift. Rider skill also needs to be taken into consideration here. With some quads if you are in reverse and cut the wheels all the way in thick mud you will blow a CV real quick.....so dont do that. If you think stock tires can get you everywhere we go....follow us. Heck come to Marango this year.

Quick Reply: What's with all these huge mud tires?