Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installed HPD Pipe and Clutch kit: Results

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rode my Trailblazer for the first time at Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman, Ca) after installing the above kit from HPD. What a difference! My daughter had no problems getting up hills and the acceleration was much improved. The new sound is inspiring to say the least. It now sounds like a 2 stroke!

A couple of problems though.
#1 I may need to rewind the clutch. It does not take off until you give it a lot of gas. Does anyone have any knowledge of the automatic clutch that can tell me what's causing this?

#2 The mounts for the muffler don't jive with the bike. The stock mounts are verticaly placed and the muffler's are horizontal. Therefore I was only able to use one bolt to attach it. I took a look at my buddies Scrambler and his mounts were horizontal. I just wonder if I got the wrong muffler. Anyway, I have a call in to HPD but they won't talk technical until 3pm. I was just hoping some of you can shed some light while I'm waiting.

Old 05-21-2001, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Clutch kits come with a new primary spring,and a differant primary spring will RAISE the engagement speed of your belt.If this is troublesome,have the dealer install the primary spring that is between stock and the one that come with the clutch kit.

Exausts?
Im not certain about your application,however,alot of performance pipes/silencers require that the installer make brackets or necessary adjustments to the newer pipes so that they do fit the ATV.Id check with HDP,and best of luck,
Bill

Old 05-21-2001, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

For clarification, Mike at HPD said that both problems are normal.

Old 05-21-2001, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say it "sounds like a 2 stroke" did tou put this kit on a trailblazer or a trailboss?
I ask because a trailblazer is a 2 stroke isn't it?

Old 05-22-2001, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

"This problem is normal"???

I have a hotseat hypershift clutch and a DG pipe and silencer on my trailblazer and I don't have any of these "normal problems". Everything fits perfect, same as factory, and the clutch grabs harder and has less lag on the take off. Hmmm, maybe something is wrong with mine.

Old 05-22-2001, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

yes the trailblazer is a 2 stroke. I was just trying to emphasize the sound difference.

Anyone else who has installed the standard clutch kit from HPD experience the same lag at start up?

Old 05-22-2001, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

yes the trailblazer is a 2 stroke. I was just trying to emphasize the sound difference.

Anyone else who has installed the standard clutch kit from HPD experience the same lag at start up?

Old 05-23-2001, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

I have the same setup on my wifes 2000 TB.

The clutch spring you installed was bigger (stiffer) than stock so engagement is at a higher RPM now. This is normal, you will also notice that because of this you cannot go in reverse unless you hold the yellow button in (limiter).

For the silencer see my pics here and check out the ones mentioning the silencer mount. I explain in the pictur caption what I did.

I'll take the higher RPM engaging over what it was stock. In another note my wife wants it to be quieter so I will be ordering the HPD S/A forestry approved silencer and selling my nickle MTD muffler (I love the sound, but hey it's her bike )

Old 05-24-2001, 01:30 AM
Range Rover

I think you have wound the clutch past 1/2 way when installing the new spring. I did the same, and similar results. When you install the helix, only turn 1/3.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

Hey OneDollar,
I have an MSA Forestry approved silencer off my wifes bike, it only has one ride on it, she wanted to go back to stock.
I can take pics if you want, I think that they are 129.99 new, I would sell it for 75.00
Email me @ Drew@madbbs.com

See YA Drew

Quick Reply: Installed HPD Pipe and Clutch kit: Results