Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EXPEDETION 425 TO RANGERCHET/TSTAND/PFELECT/WOLFMAN

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-1999, 09:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT IS THE TOP SPEED ON THE 425S? HAVE YOU RIDDEN WITH ANY 500 AUTOS ? HOW DO THEY COMPARE IN TERMS OF LOW END TORQUE,ACCELERATION,ETC.

Old 12-05-1999, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

My Xpedition tops out at about 52mph according to the speedo. A buddy of mine has the Remington version of the sportsman and his tops out about the same. I've heard others here claim the the 500's will do 60. The remington model has just about every add-on Polaris makes, so I'm sure the weight keeps the top end down. As far as low end I don't think you can really compare the two. Personally I think the manual trans has a definate advantage. Never really done an all out drag race but I don't see much difference in acceleration either. he sure looks like he gets a better ride through whoops, but the xpedition still is stable and comfortable.

Old 12-05-1999, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Dusty, the low end torque is awesome on the Xped but in a drag race the SP 500 will just keep pulling due to the auto tranny. My top speedon the Xped has only been about 45mph but that is fast enough for me since Im still somewhat of a rookie at atving. Also, I weigh about 300 lbs myself so Im sure that keeps my top speed down a little. My buddy has a SP500 and he claims to have had it close to 60mph before. He also just got a Scrambler500, I dont think I want to know how fast it will go!

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-06-1999, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ride with a Mag500, but where we do most of our riding, the Mag is in low range, so when we get to an open spot, I can walk off on him. However, if we are at my ranch which is wide open, the Mag gets to speed quicker than my Expd. As for low end power, the Expd425 takes the win. The ability to stay in 1st or 2nd gear at full power is very useful when you are pulling a load.

Old 12-06-1999, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

My Expedition tops out at 45 mph, I weigh 240 lbs and also have vampires on all four wheels. These tires are heavy compared to the stock tires. These same tires slowed my 400 Explorer by 8 mph. Oh and don't worry about low range, you don't need it. The first gear is plenty for any pulling or hill climbing.

Wolfman

Old 12-06-1999, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my xpedition 425cc up to 57 miles an hour. I weigh about 150 lbs. The speed is reduced substantilly when I have a rider behind me. The 5th. gear is overdrive. I think it may even go faster then 57 if I had the guts to really push the throttle all the way. In all gears except 1st. maybe, I see a drop off of speed when I have a passanger. So
if the sp500 goes 60 and we can possibly go near 60. Were almost right there with them. We can excellerate faster then they can but on a long race they would probably catch up and over take us. For my needs, deep in the woods. There is no need for speed. Only power. getting through deep mud/water holes. I currently only have the 25" bar tred tires that came stock. Plan to put 26 or 27 inch deepwater vipers on next spring. I understand
however that due to the front suspension we have. We cannot put a lift kit on the front. All they can do is put oversized springs in the front which will raise the front about 1 and 1/2 inches. I dont know if you can put 27" tires on the xped. then. I nice to here that some people found we can put 26" tires on. 3rd. gear is my usual gear when crusing slowly through the woods down logging roads. 4th. and 5th. seem like they are only good on
better roads. The heavy machine dont take corners real well either. I like the gear power however. chet lake - rangerchet
year 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc......