Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP!!!! SCRAMBLER 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 11:24 PM
scr
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a scrambler 500 and a sportsman 500. I am actually getting them for Christmas so i have only riden them about 2 times. However, I am already looking for some ways to improve them both on acceleration and top end. As far as the scrambler 500 I have thought about a Supertrapp IDS2 pipe, K&N filter, and possibly a new 44 mm carb but i am not sure how the carb will affect everday riding however it will be aggressive. On the sportsman 500 I could also put the Supertrapp pipe on it along with the K&N filter but am not sure about the carb. If i got the 44 mm carb for the scrambler i could put the old 40mm carb on the sportsman and mabey order some scrambler cams. I am not sure if this will effect the low end and pull of the sportsman. I am also not sure about jetting. exactly what is it. I am not sure about messing with the clutch, i would kind of like to leave things alone in there. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Mark G

-00 Scrambler 500
-00 Sportsman 500

Old 12-13-1999, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I would reccomend to you is to let the warranty run out before you start modifiying these machines. There are a lot of good pipes out there for both of those Quads but one thing that will really help you is a roller clutch kit the engagement will be quicker and give the quad a more aggresive feel.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 12-13-1999, 11:37 PM
scr
Trailblazer

you are right about letting the 6mo. warranty run out. Who makes that clutch and around how much does it cost? Also, would affect the top end speed any?

Mark G

-00 Scrambler 500
-00 Sportsman 500

Old 12-14-1999, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

i must say that's a hell of a christmas gift!!!!! congratulations!!! enjoy and ride safe!

Jera '00 400ex

Old 12-14-1999, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

scr, that is one bad-*** christmas present...two brand new quads? TWO? Did you brainwash your parents...or kiss their ***...ALOT?

just wondering,
Trent
Houston, TX

-93 TrailBoss 2x4, wiseco pepp'd

Old 12-14-1999, 07:12 PM
scr
Trailblazer

Well, me and my brother do not usually get presents like this. But we are moving onto about 70 acres of land in a few months and my dad thought that it would be pretty cool and functional for us to have a fourwheeler. Actually he was going to get us one(the scrambler)so we bought it and my mom talk him into getting another one so a week later we went back and bought the sportsman 500.

Now lets try to get back to my first question of how to get them faster.

Old 12-14-1999, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

do they even make 44mm carbs. i would never bye a hotseat pipe for the 500 it is junk ill be getting a fmf for christmas. but there clutch kit worked really well and the kn did to

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-1999, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

scr: Similar to you I'm looking for the same info. Here's some info you might find useful:

I recently ran across an interesting article in the latest Dirt Wheels (Jan '00 issue). The article (page 137) was on a Hot Seat Performance (HCP) modified Polaris Sport 400(4x2). Basically, the article raved about the HSP modified machine giving it high marks for being fast, good trail riding, good handling characteristics and a strong zippy motor capable of outgunning the Honda 400EX on straight-aways. Suspiciously, it didn't say if the 400EX was stock or modified though.

HSP's focus is on Polaris mods, so I called HCP and talked directly with Robb Johnson to get a better feel for what they could do with the scrambler 500.

Here's the basic take-a-ways from my conversation with Robb:

1) They can make the scrambler quicker and handle better but it's not cheap (a couple thousand dollars if you want to go wild). The modified 400 in the article was $8,000!

2) Even with all the mods, don't expect it to handle or take the same abuse a true sport class quad can. It's fundamentally larger, heavier and not designed to take extreme punishment.

3) If you ride it aggressively, be prepared to spend some time and money in the shop. Not in a bad way but the faster and more powerful you make it, the more attention it will need. This really goes for just about any modified machine however.

In summary, HCP, which only does Polaris performance upgrades, felt the Scrambler series is one of the best overall machines out there. If fast trail riding in mud snow or climbing conditions are what you're into then it's right up your ally. Don't expect it to take motocross type whoops and jumps however, it isn't designed for it even with the mods.

Old 12-14-1999, 09:36 PM
scr
Trailblazer

whisky, did the clutch take any power away from the low-end, midrange or top end power of the scrambler? As far as the 44mm carb i am not very sure. When i went to pick up the sportsman 500 at the dealership, i was waiting around for my dad to finish up the paperwork when I saw one of the mechanics flying in the parking lot on something missing half of its plastic. I had to go see what it was. By time I walk up in the garage I could tell it was a scrambler 500. I ask him what they had done to it and he said they put a 44mm carb on it and a Supertrapp pipe on it. But he might have not done it and might not known what he was talking about. He also said it would do 75 mph and that seems pretty fast for those 2 mods. They also said they were working on a sport 400 that could do 100mph but i think that is a bunch of b.s. But anyway, he said that the man that put the 44mm carb on his scrambler put the old 40mm and put it on his sportsman along with ordering new cams.

Mark Gullatte

-00 Scrambler 500
-00 Sportsman 500

Old 12-14-1999, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

it just makes the clutch ingage at higher rpms i gave it a big boost off the line that is if you get traction thats what bearclaws are for it didnt hurt my topend at all but if you barly give it any gas it wont ingage at all

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! SCRAMBLER 500