Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Age old question SC400 or SC500?

Old 01-07-2000, 05:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that similar subjects have been touched upon already several times in the past, but I am looking for any input I can get. I am going to be buying a new quad soon and it's looking like the Scrambler is the only quad out there that has what I need (reverse, power, 4WD, sportiness, comfort). The big question at this point is which engine do I want. I am right now leaning toward the 400L because it is so much easier to get more power out of it than the 500 thumper and I really like to tweak things. The only quad I have ever owned was a ‘87 Warrior (fun ride, not enough power) and I have little experience with 2 stroke engines the only 2 strokes I currently own are my two Yamaha Pro VXR 700 Waverunners and my weedeater I will mostly be riding wooded trails, not really tight trails though, most are large enough for a 4 wheel drive jeep to pass through. I know that 2 stroke engines do not normally have huge amounts of torque on the low end and that they tend to develop most of their HP on the top end of their power band. I guess I am worried that I will have problems with the 400L if I am riding some of the slower, rockier, more technical sections of the trail I might not have enough torque at low speeds to get me through without bouncing on and off the throttle a bunch. I was originally planning on getting the ‘00 SC500 but my local dealer has some leftover ‘99 400's still in the crate for what he called "a good deal" at the time I didn't ask the price because I only wanted the 500 but the more I think about it, the 400 might be just what the doctor ordered. What do you guys think would be a good price for a ‘99 SC400? I could obviously save some money here by getting last years model but don't want to do this if the ‘00 model has anything on it that is "new and improved". OK I am rambling here so anyway let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Old 01-07-2000, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

The '00 model has a few things different. Check <A HREF="https://atvconnection.com/editor/review/atv/polaris/00intro/index.htm">this page</A> and browse around and you might see some. The major thing is that they have a different shock, springs, swingarm, and shock mount location, which all combined give it 10.5"'s of rear travel over the '99 8.8". Other things I know of is that the coolant resavoir was slightly changed, better/stronger tie-rod ends, and of course graphics.

Besides being a left over '99, the 400 is already a good bit cheaper than the 500. You might be able to get a great deal. If it were me, I still like the 4-stroke, but that's just a choice you have to make for yourself.

Old 01-07-2000, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

The 400L is fairly torquey as far as 2 strokes go. It's power is not made near where say a Banshee makes its. You can always adjust clutch settings to suit your riding taste too. The 500 is cool though. Sometimes I wish I had the 4 stroke, but I'm happy with mine 99% of the time. But if you like a torquey Thumper....
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 01-07-2000, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

like andrew said, the polaris CVT is very tunable and you can set up the clutches to your kind of riding. and you don't really miss the bottom end torque because of the automatic tranny. i have a 99 400 and love riding it in all kinds of terrain: rocky, muddy, and whatever mother nature throws my way. i can ride it slow in more technical situations or fast on the straights. i paid $5000 for mine in the fall of 98.

------------------

Old 01-07-2000, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Hey scramblinman, what exactly do you mean that the cvt is easy to tune? I would love to tune the clutch on my 00 SP500 for my type of ridin. I will probably look at a scrambler next 'cause I lack the jam and sportiness that I heard the scranbler has. If I could tune up my sportsman, I would probably be very satisfied with it. I know its heavy, but I'll tell ya, it rides like a caddy, I would love if it had the performance of a vette.

Old 01-07-2000, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

SWAC,
Go here: http://www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports/

check out Jacks Sportsman 500.

Old 01-07-2000, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input guys, I talked to the dealer today and he wants $4799 for a '99 Scrambler. What do you think about this price? Sounds a bit on the high side to me, he said that he won't budge on the price because he only has 3 left and they sell well. A 2000 model will cost about $500 more, do you think it's worth it? Quadman, you mentioned that the '00 Scrambler has better tie rod ends, are the older ones known to wear out quickly? If they do it sounds like a reason to pay a little more for the '00....of course I but you could retro-fit the older scramblers with the new tie-rod ends. I took a quick spin on the '99 SC400 today while at the dealership and thought it felt pretty good once it got warmed up, but I guess I was expecting a bit more power. Of course I plan on piping it anyway, would that void the warranty?

Old 01-07-2000, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

i would think that $4795 is a pretty good price, it is afterall still new and with factory warranty right? as far as the tie rods i think after you wear out yours you could buy a new set for less than the $500 price differance.
well i have to admit that i did let the dealer tune my clutch for me, by installing new springs and shaving 1/2 gram from the fly weights. if you check out some of the aftermarket companies, you will see that there are lots of springs to choose from to use in your clutch. there is also a neat book out on clutch tuning.....chris

Old 01-09-2000, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

Ok where can we get ahold of the clutch tuning book?

------------------
Hawk - stock (for now) 99 Scrambler 400