Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 Magnum 500 reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 12:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost 2000 miles on mine so far and no reliability problems yet. I hit a big rock a couple weeks ago and broke a few bushings in the front left a-arm and that shouldn't cost to much though. I have been very impressed with this machine. It offers the best ride of and atv I have ever ridded, it is one of the fastest (working) 4bys available, and holy crap; it can work! Has anyone had any reliability problems with this model yet? All I have heard and experienced are good things.........

Old 01-10-2000, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

I own a 99 500 Magnum. I bought it just before summer let out. I have only 27 hours on the bike. I know that is not alot. But I haven't experienced anything that ever went wrong with it. I do a lot of riding when I ride. But as you can tell...I don't ride often. I ride around the house and pick up limbs and stuff, I pull trailers of wood in the winter. That is just about the heaviest thing that I have every pulled. Oh, both tires were flat too. Damn things won't hold air for some reason. Anyway, I definately love the machine. I plan on owning it for a long time. I know for sure it is going to last. Unlike one other brand that I have previously owned. I'm not going there though. Have a nice day.

Old 01-10-2000, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Big Nasty; I have a suggestion for you on the tire problem. try inflating your tires up to around 20lbs or so and leave them like that for a few days while you are not going to ride it. The problem with running low air pressure is that a lot of times the beads do not seat well at the lower pressures. I put a set of Terra tires on a friends Honda 300 and thought I would never get them to stay up. That finally cured the problem though. Don't try to ride it that way ,It will beat you to death. As for the Magnum 500 mine has been flawless. I have over 1300 miles now and have had no problems. There are 2 more in my riding group and they also have had no trouble whatsoever. I think the Magnums are some of the toughest Quads Polaris has come out with yet as far as reliability goes.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 01-10-2000).]

Old 01-10-2000, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

Well, I have only 457 miles on it but mine too has been totally up to the task every time it's asked. I have used it to pull heavy loads, used it for play, used it to pull stuck quads out of my own mud pit appx 200' long (latest victim...suzuki king quad but before that ....my son on his sport 400). Have only performed the regular maintenance items and clean it every time before putting her up!

I want another quad for the wife and having a tough time deciding whether to go with another 500 Mag or just the 325. She doesn't really need all the power and doesn't get to ride that often any way. Just wished they made the 4x4 325 in the 2x4 blue!

------------------
Donald J. Dickinson 99 Magnum 500, 99 Sport 400L Ooh yeah!

Old 01-11-2000, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

Bignasty, might I suggest a squirt bottle of soapy water (snoop) and spray the beads. Look for ANY bubbles (if the leaks are slow give it plenty of time), which indicates you have a leak/s. also check the valve stem and valve too. If your bead leaks deflate the tire by removing the valve stem. Lay the tire down flat on the floor and press down on the tire next to the rim thus separating the tire from the rim. Look into the crevice you have created and if there is any debris remove it. Do a small section at a time until you have been all around. Make sure you do both sides. Now that it is free of debris install the valve and inflate to desired pressure.
Dave Formstone
98 SP500 EBS

Old 01-11-2000, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Jerry, if you haven’t yet, you should check out the thread “magnum 325 help” here. It contains opinions from present and past owners of the machine. I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy one, it may be just perfect for your wife, but at least you’ll have the perspective of owners for your consideration.

One other note, the Mag 325 we had vibrated terribly at idle and low rpms. Others report theirs don’t do this so it may be that some do and some don’t. Be aware of this when you test drive the machine you’re considering buying. If vibration bugs you (her) pick a different one.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 01-11-2000, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99 500 and I have had several problems with it. The first problem I had was a factory defect. It never would make the power I thought a 500cc should have. It would barely run 48mph. I couldn't outrun my wife's honda 300 2x4. Turns out I had a hole in the carb diapham. It got really bad when we went to LL's ranch to ride. I also have already replaced the brakes at 300 miles. The speedo sensor had to be replaced plus a few other minor things. I now like my 500 but it is not as reliable as my 98 honda 300 2x4 was. If honda ever comes out with a part-time 4x4 I will sell my polaris. Jonathan

Old 01-11-2000, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Magnum 500 is up top with the toughest of all quads. Although I have no personal experience with this quad, I can gather from all the articles and testimonials that this is one bad dude, and is gonna' stay that way for a while. That will be my next quad, I believe. If I get another any time soon. Bushings are only $1.50 each, I replaced one a few weeks back on my Sportsman.

Old 01-11-2000, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

To tell the truth, Mag500, a certain some one i know doesnt like Polaris at all, and i think that your magnum is one of the toughest utility quads that polaris makes. just my thoughts. by the way i am a Honda owner

------------------
RangerSX 1987 Honda 250X(completely stock)

Old 01-12-2000, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for replying guys, I have been really impressed. I was even suprised at ranger's comment. Thanks for being honest and admitting when another company has a nice machine..

Quick Reply: 99 Magnum 500 reliability?