Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Am I an idiot??? Is my name HOMER??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal. In my last post I spoke of high, out of control revvs, stalling, etc... Could the fact that my gas tank be empty have anything to do with these symptoms?

If so call me HOMER!

I just spent 3 hours re-installing the stock carb and stuff.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2001, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, Homer, it's VERY possible!

Machines (especially 2 strokes) tend to do this. As it starves for gas, the mixture leans out (air/fuel), and lean symptoms start occurring (like high reving).

I'm happy to hear that this is a possibility, since it looks like you've been having some problems recently. Hope that's it!

ogre

Old 07-03-2001, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

D'OH!!!!

Old 07-03-2001, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

I used to have a little 2-stroke 3-wheeler and 4-wheeler and whenever they were about out of gas it would just run without touching the throttle. It was kind of scary the first time it happened because I didn't know what to do. Although all I had to do was turn it off.

Old 07-03-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

On Memorial day I did the same thing with my Sportsman. The kids were rideing it all day and that evening when I wanted to go for a ride I could not get it started.
The first thing I did was look in the tank for gas, it was dark so I shook it back and forth, noticed what looked like plenty of gas sloshing around, and continued to try starting it.
soon the battery was dead, jump started it with a charger, still no go.
Thought the gas line was obstructed and started removing the gas lines, just then I thought I better try reserve before I go any further,
OOPS, that was the problem. Ran like a top after it had gas going to the carb.
Humbling isn't it!

Old 07-03-2001, 12:10 PM
Range Rover

You must now bow down in front of the Mod Gods and ask for forgiveness.
...for they have mysterious ways of stopping non-believers in their tracks. (He,He)

Old 07-05-2001, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Didn't you notice that the fuel line & carb bowl were empty when you were pulling the 39 PWK off ????

Brian, where is your jetting at now that you've had some time to work with the EGT gauge?
I had changed from a 38 slow jet to a 40 and had a large improvement in drivability, I need to order a couple more jets so I have a good assortment.

Old 07-05-2001, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

Capt, I am running a 172 main jet at about 1100 degrees WOT. I have the EEG needle sanded down to about 2/3 to 1/2 it's original width. I sanded it almost halway up the needle. Midrange seems to be around 1000 to 1050 degrees. By the way I am on the middle clip now. Every time I upper the clip (from the bottom)the low end seems better and more responsive and midrange power and temp seems to stay the same. I have not yet understood the width vs. length ratio as to how it affects the low and midrange power. 38 pilot jet. Before the Homer incident, top end was running great, midrange seemed fine abut a tad bit on the hot side and the low end was boggy.

Tomorrow I will try and sand off a bit more of the needle's width and raise the clip one more notch. Since the higher I go with the needle, the better low end (1/4 throttle to be precise) I guess I will raise it and thinning out the needle seems to richen 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

Any ideas?!?!

I fealt reall stupid after doing all those hours of work and cussing to find out the tank was empty. The carb still had some gas left in it and when unplugging the gas line I kept it up high to avoid spilling the "gas" on the floor. It's only when putting a big tie-wrap in the tank to stir up teh oil/gas that I heard the infamous empty tank sound: "clink clank" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2001, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Homer

hahahahahaha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Good Luck Xplor!

EC

Old 07-05-2001, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

heh heh heh... homer

Quick Reply: Am I an idiot??? Is my name HOMER??