Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Quick questions about my 39mm Keihin carb-->

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of re-installing this monster.

1- The brass fuel intake part. Is it supposed to be pointing downward? If not do I turn it up?

2- Next to the fuel intake there is a tiny brass screw head towards the rear of the carb...what does this do? Do I need to touch this?

3- Any tips on the choke adjustment?

4- Whats the lever with the rubber boot on the other side if the carb for?

5- Should I check anything inside the carb? The float is level but soemone spoke of taking out a pin to give it more fuel at WOT???

6- Last question. I have those two clear tubes (attached together) coming off the carb. HPD sent another clear tube which I didn't install. Whats it for?

Thanks a million once again...together we will get her working! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2001, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Here Goes:
1) Yes. No. Don't fool with it.
2) That's the airscrew. It controls air / fuel mixture at Idle. about 1 to 1 3/4 turns out from seated is normal. Adjust it with the engine at normal operating temp for the smoothest idle.
3) About 1/8" of slack in the **** is factory spec ( from memory check the book, mine's out in the shop ).
4) That's a vacuum tap. Leave the cap on it. If it suddenly starts running lean, inspect the cap for splits ( AFTER YOU CHECK THE FUEL TANK LOL ).
5) Float level and float drop is about all you can check inside the bowl.
Make sure everything is tight and clean before you button it up.
6) The 2 tubes are vents, run them up between the body plastic and the fuel tank. Take a small piece of one of your wifes old panty hose and put it over the ends of the tube to keep big trash out. The other clear tube was a fuel supply hose. I hooked the stock tube back up, I thought the rubber hose more durable than vinyl hose.

Here's a link to Carbparts.com They have exploded drawings and a lot of info on ATV performance carbs. Print out a copy for the shop.
Don't mention it, that's what we're here for. I hope this helps some others in the forum as well.

Old 07-06-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks!