Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HPD New Race Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001 | 01:36 AM
|
Pro Rider

I am looking to purchase HPD's new race pipe and was wondering how it stacks up against the competition. A buddy claimed that he did not notice much from HPD's old race pipe. I currently have a DG on my '97 Sport. I have a full race motor on alcohol and I want to buy a pipe that will perform the best for dragging. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Jay

Old 07-10-2001 | 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

The new HPD pipe is but ugly, but does work. Get with Jason at Midwest Sports Center, I thought he was working with FTZ on a drag pipe. Or, call RCR I had him build me a side exit drag pipe but I never bought it. I went with a G-Force. I bet he still has it at his shop and would sell it cheap $200?

Old 07-10-2001 | 11:32 AM
|
Pro Rider

I talked with Ritter yesterday and he sold the drag pipe to a guy in Ohio that is going to do some dyno testing. Jason never took his bike to FTZ for a head pipe fitting. I've seen FTZ drag pipes and they look good, no hydro forming, all stamped. HPD is out of race pipes but will have 20 ready by the end of July. HPD is tooling up for stamped mass production according to Mike. The stamped version will be selling for $269 compared to the hand built hydro formed $300 price tag. How does your G-Force compare to Erics HPD, fit, price and most of all performance?

Jay

Old 07-10-2001 | 01:21 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Jay;
There's no comparison between HPD's old race pipe and the new one. The new one is much better and has a wider powerband. The fit on my new pipe was questionable. Daryl fixed it for free and even paid the postage. The FTR is much better looking, but they don't have a clue how to clutch their pipe. This leaves the consumer at a loss as how to clutch their bikes for maximum power. HPD takes all the guess work out of it for you by extensive testing of clutch kits with onboard computers and timed runs. You have the HPD race porting; go with their race pipe. They're a matched pair. No other pipe builder can prove higher gains by way of dyno runs than HPD. They make bold claims, but Daryl has it on paper. FMF admitted to me on the phone that they had copied HPD's old race pipe. Yet FMF claims they are the most copied pipe manufacturer in the world. Ironic; isn't it. FTR's pipe design was copied off of Mike Hair's design. FTR's pipes aren't designed or manufactured in house. I'd definately be interested in seeing dyno sheets on Ricks drag pipe. So far; I haven't been able to find one pipe builder with dynoed proof that they can offer more h.p. than HPD's new pipe with race porting. Keep in mind that all the h.p. in the world is useless if you can't get it to the ground with proper clutching. Hope this helps!

Old 07-10-2001 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

i traded a guy out of a Hpd racing power dome head, what i was wondering is what other mods must i do to my 400 scrambler in order to run this head? i also got a keihin carb with it too.
i trail ride my 400 alot so if the head and carb will be to radical i guess i will just sell it.
thanks for any reply.

Old 07-11-2001 | 04:54 PM
|
Pro Rider

I'm buying a HPD race pipe from Midwest Sports Center Thursday. I think you are right Fasterthangas, a mis-matched pipe with race porting could and probably would compromise performance. My buddy with the new race pipe complained that it took him awhile to install the pipe.What exactly did Daryl have to fix. I don't want any exaust leaks.

Thanks
Jay

Old 07-11-2001 | 06:03 PM
Range Rover

Good decision; Jay. Exhaust leaks were my concern also. Here's what I did. I dry fitted the pipe first and installed all springs. I marked where the stinger enters the pipe with marker so I could line it up off the bike. I then welded the stinger directly to pipe and ground off the spring clips. This makes the pipe more rigid and stops the leak by your leg. Then; I put a piece of hose over the silencer-stinger junction and clamped it. The only reason I suffered any leakage was due to the gobs of oil used with an alcohol motor. It seeps out everywhere. Also; when doing the final install; put some Space Age Chamber Seal brand tape around the manifold in generous quantities. Everything must be clean first. This stuff works great and can be found at most dealers. Bronze RTV silicone won't hold. It just blows out. Good Luck!!!
P.S. Sell my FTZ carb for me will ya?