Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 02:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking to see if anyone out there experiences problems with the clutch assembly in the sportsmans
I have a 2000 with 1200 miles on it and after the warrenty was up I took it for service (stupid) and the dealer said the cluch was worn and needed to be replaced.
I just got the new 2001 in May and I put 250 miles on it and I had to take it back to the dealer because it had blown a mechanical seal and was leaking antifreeze. When I picked it up I was told that there was a new clutch ordered for this one as well because it is already worn!!!
Someone tell me, am I doing something wrong to make the cluch go bad, or is this just another case of bad quality control from Polaris.
fyi, I use a lot of low range on mud trails and I never let the machine poweridle in tough situations. If anything, I thought since it happened before, I could prevent it by always keeping the trans at a constant speed.
Please let me know what you think!

Old 07-17-2001, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Does either machine drive funny? What I mean is does it act like there is something wrong in the clutch?
If it was me, and warranty wouldn't cover it, I would probably keep running it, as about all the harm you will do is ruin the clutch (and the dealer wants to replace it anyway). If warranty did cover it, I would let them do the work, as it is never a bad idea to put new parts in if they are free. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I suggest you go to the dealer and have him SHOW you exactly what is worn, and why he thinks it got that way. Maybe the wear isn't all that bad.

Old 07-17-2001, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

The dealer is a buddy of mine and we go four-wheeling together. This is the tip to know if your clutch is going bad;
1. If it is hard or difficult to put into gear, it should be able to be done with little effort
2. If when you put it in gear it starts to creep off on you. It should just stay in one place like a good little polaris
3. It feels like the rpm's rise up fast between 0-15mph, and then suddenly they drop and the machine feels like it shifted into another gear. A normal clutch will provide even power throughout the curve.

I know that the clutch is bad because I can feel it. I am planning on getting the one under warrenty repaired, but my 2000 I'm going to ride until the thing only drives downhill. I asked my dealer what causes it, and he basically told me that it doesn't get the "quality control" that it should. He also stated that they have shims in them that have to be to a very specific spec, or else they have premature wear. Just another reason for us to shake our fists at Polaris and wonder why they don't take better care of its best customers![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2001, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had about 1500 miles on my 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4 and my primary clutch is worn.I raised so much hell to the dealership about it so the mechanic got Polaris to buy me a new clutch assemble.I had to pay for an hrs labor to install it though.

Bill

Old 09-05-2001, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

1. If it is hard or difficult to put into gear, it should be able to be done with little effort
2. If when you put it in gear it starts to creep off on you. It should just stay in one place like a good little polaris

In some cases these two things can be cured by the purchase of two 99 cent washers and one half hours time.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] PN 7556401

Wahoooooooooooo!

I installed 2 of these washers with the worn current washer behind the secondary clutch and the clutch creep is a thing of the past!!! I tried just one washer and the belt was still catching the inside sheave of the primary, added another and voila!!!

Try it, you'll be happy with the results.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Is this the proper clutch tool for a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500

SNO Stuff Spider Tool for Polaris 725-285 11-2120 725-285 | eBay

Old 04-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsavoie

No need to post in different places on the same question.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Trailblazer

For somebody searching in the future that may not find the other thread - Related thread
They're all pretty close to each other and I'm sure it will work same as this one listed that includes atvs.POLARIS RZR SPORTSMAN RANGER TRAIL BOSS SPIDER NUT LOCKING TOOL LOCK MAGNUM BLAZ | eBay

https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3357071

Old 04-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jrsavoie

This clutch tool will not work with my 2001 Sportsman 500 - so said the seller

Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This one will.EPI Spider Tool for Polaris All ATV/UTV models All | eBay Just google Polaris atv spider tool and see if you can find one cheaper..

Quick Reply: Sportsman clutch problems