Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil premix inquiry-->

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pre-mixing 32:1 Klotz. I was reading an interesting article on ATVRiders that got me thinking once again. If I were to adjust my oil ratio to lets say between 40:1 and 50:1 that would mean more gas which could result in a richer mixture. This in effect could help a bit with my lean jetting problem. What do you guys think? Could I safely go to 50:1? Anybody running 50:1? My Scrambler with the 32:1 literally burns my eyeballs when running so I think I have a fair margin.

If I remember right, my buddy Zorro runs 50:1 Ipone in his and revvs his Shee like a madman and has never had any lubrification problems.(Tons of other problems- hehehe...but not due to the oil/gas mixture) Could I do this with the Klotz or the Polaris synthtic or just go with what has proven to work for him, the Ipone?

I am getting closer every day to fixing this lean jetting problem! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2001, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

In good oils like Klotz, Amsoil, Maxima, and Bel-ray you mix what the oil calls for. Not what the machine calls for. For instance we here at our shop run Amsoil. There are 2 different types of Amsoil pre-mix. A 50:1 and 100:1. Our old parts guy ran the 100:1 in his 250r. Our salesman ran the 100:1 in his NOS breathing Ski-Doo Mach Z 800 triple. Hell, I run it in my chainsaws and trimmers. It sounds extreme but it works. I'm not sure what Klotz calls for. If you can find a number give Klotz a call and ask there tech guys what they think.

Old 07-21-2001, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Old 07-23-2001, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

uflg95,

Have you been running Amsoil 100:0 in a Polaris 400? If so, how long (approximate miles/tanks of fuel)? Is there any smoke? How does it smell?

I just went to Klotz SuperTechniplate, per Rick Ritter's recommendation. The bike runs good and doesn't foul plugs at all, but it smokes a good bit, and nobody wants to ride behind me. They say the smell makes their stomach hurt. I'm sure the engine is being protected well, but I like to lead the pack too. Thanks for your response.

Old 07-23-2001, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

walexa, actually I have no customers running 100 to 1 Amsoil in their Scramblers. I do have a couple of customers who run the 50 to 1 in them though. They have very minimal smoke if any when they ride. They love the stuff. None of us here at our shop have a 400 so I can't give you a hands on opinion, but we have ran it in other machines and have had great success with it. None of the machines we ran the 100 to 1 in smoked. It doesn't have a bad smell at all, sort of a normal 2 stroke exhaust smell but not as strong.

Old 07-23-2001, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

uflg95,

I appreciate your response. I was really hoping you had some experience regarding the Polaris 400 engine. I hate to be the guinea pig on something like that. I noticed that Amsoil said that their 100:0 was not for premix with alcohol fuels. I may have it confused with another oil, but I thought it was on the amsoil website. Some guys comment that the Klotz smells good, but the guys I ride with don't like the smell. It didn't smoke nearly as much running the injection with Polaris gold oil, and they didn't complain.
I may try the amsoil anyway......just for grins. It just seems that the Polaris 400 is a finiky engine. Some people have great luck with them, while others can't keep them running. Personally, I don't have any reliability problems with my engine or bike. I have no major modifications to my engine either.....just air filter, rad valve, and standard wiseco piston. No real performance mods.

Old 07-24-2001, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

The simple fact you had very little smoke with the injection is at an idle it runs 100:1 and at full throttle it runs 50:1. That is the one nice thing about the injection system. Alot of guys love the smell of Klotz. As far as alcohol, couldn't tell ya.

Old 07-24-2001, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Xplor,

This is totally off the subject of jetting, but I have a question about the Bear Claw tires, and I know you have experience with them. I'm wanting to get a set of 25" tires for my Xplorer 400 mounted on aluminum rims, and am wondering how pleased you are with the mud performance of the bear claws. I have the stock dunlops on mine. I am wanting a tire with excellent trail riding qualities, but with much more traction than stock. I know the two contradict each other in that more traction usually hurts the ride. Also, how well do the bear claws hold up. I put some miles on paved roads in order to access trails. What would you guess is the tread depth on the bear claws when new? Any other comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. BTW, what did you decide to do on the premix? Changing brands, ratios, etc.?

Waylan

Old 07-24-2001, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Walexa, The Bearclaws are the best choice in my opinion. I just went out and mesured the tread on the Scramblers Bearclaws and it was around 3/4 inch. About the same on bigger ones I think. They have not shown signs of wear on either one of my quads yet. They are a teeny tiny bit stiffer than the old stockers but very comfortable to ride on. They widen the Xplorer on each side and make it more stable. Turning is very easy. Traction is by far superior to the stock tires. They are not as good as the 26" Mudrunners but do a great job in mud, rocks and at higher speeds on the trails. They are fairly lightweight yet very puncture resistant. Basically I feel that they are the best compromis between a mud tire and an all-pupose trail tire. If I had to rate them, just to give you an idea, I would give the stockers a 6, the mudrunners a 9 and the beraclaws a 7.5. Halfway between.

As for my pre-mixing...it was a no-go! It was running even worse so I am stepping away for a couple days to try to clear my head. Maybe I will tear her down completely and change all the seals/gaskets...or maybe just tear her down to stock form, sell all parts and trade her in on a 400ex. Time will tell.

later. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]