Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Upgrading to SP500, Any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AS Chicken man will tell you , We normally run in High range here , but this is mostly flat country with our main obstacles being mudholes and a few hard pulls. I use low anytime I pull a heavy load or feel the machine begin to strain in High.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 01-28-2000, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Our SP500's are in high 98% of the time. They are switched to low for something particularly technical, and for all towing. Other than that they are always in high. Neither machine has ever had a belt problem or the belt replaced. Neither machine has had any belt slip problems. Mine has almost 800 miles on it now, my buddies is approaching 2000. They are both 98's (one new 2000 SP500 coming soon for my wife!)

DJ

[This message has been edited by deej (edited 01-28-2000).]

Old 01-28-2000, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had problems with my belt starting to smell (slip) when going through deep snow. I don't know if it was the snow getting into the belt or just
the torque caused by the snow I was pushing.
I have also been splashing in water, deep enouph to get my feet wet with no problem.

Old 01-28-2000, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a pig headed, know it all, riding partner with an RSE sportsman that doesn't believe in low range. I've seen him up against berms and logs just gassin' it till the wheels finally spun. He made it a little over 500 miles before his belt shredded. He tried to limp it back until it finally broke, taking out the cover and the snorkel. I imagine it was a pretty big expense, but i doubt it will change his riding habits. He isn't fortunate enough to have the likes of ya'll to enlighten him. He won't listen to me. Maybe the long tow back through the mud (on a short strap), made an impression on him. It did me! hehe He does have a spare belt now.
Sorry about the rambling, but I have no doubt if he was a little more considerate to that machine, he would never have had a belt problem.

Oh BTW, I really do like him.

Brian

Old 01-28-2000, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Don't feel bad Dusty ,I think we all know at least one person like that. I know I do.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 01-28-2000, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thnks for all the reponses and keep em coming. Do any of you run the DACO belt and does it really last longer? I am also considering the grizzly. Any of you know anything about its durablity? I heard the grizzly is faster, anyone drag raced one?

[This message has been edited by Billjfish (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone have any comments on my last remark?

Old 02-01-2000, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

The Grizzly may be faster than the Sportsman 500 but... When I was at the ATV Jamboree in Hurley Wisconsin, last year the Grizzlies had a lot of trouble in the mudpit that the Polarises were breezing through. No, it wasn't because the Sportsman 500s had mud tires and the Grizzlies didn't. It was all about "serious mud capability". To some people muddin' is a major factor and to others it is a non-factor.

------------------
Sportsman 400 " I love the smell of two stroke in the morning."

Old 02-01-2000, 03:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bill, just to let you know the Grizzly and Kodiak has a different type of belt drive system that has the belt always engaged and it operates off of a sprag clutch. This makes for very little belt wear and my dealer told me in the 3 years that the Grizzly has been out he has only replaced a belt on one so far. I drive mine in high all the time except when i'm going through mud or really rough terrain. The SP is a better mud machine though. Yes the Grizzly is faster too but not by alot, you could beat one with just a few mods to a SP.

Old 02-01-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Grizz my hats off to you as I began to read your post expected something different.The griz and sportsman both have thier own strenths and weaknesses.If speed is big concern your looking at wrong machines.

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Quick Reply: Upgrading to SP500, Any comments?