Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do you check an oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001 | 02:16 PM
|
Trailblazer

I have posted before that my 250 Trailblazer doesn't seem to be using alot if any oil. Of course as much as I have ridden it I'm sure it would have ceazed up by now?

I took the supply line off the filter side and oil runs from the tank through the filter.

I then moved the oil pump lever on the pump by hand to full position while idleing, and I thought it should smoke profusely then and about starve itself on fuel to run- but it doesnt?

Is there a bleeder screw on the pump, is there a supply line to unhook to see if it is pumping? Of course again the manuel SUCKS and is of little help.

Thanks

Jack

Old 07-28-2001 | 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

I have the same questions as you do. But mine does use oil, I can fill the tank up and run two tanks of fuel and the oil level will be down several inches. So I am sure they are working but their is just know way to know they are working when your out riding. That is my fear that it will stop working when I am 20 miles out in the woods and my motor lock up.

I guess the only 100% way to know is to block them of and pre mix our fuel, But I really don't want to do that.

Let me know if you ever get an answer to this.

Old 07-28-2001 | 06:04 PM
Range Rover

IAJack, this is what I did when I bought my 400 Sport. It was used, and the piston done seized up twice in it. When I got it bored and rebuilt, the first thing I did was remove the rubber piece between you carb & reeds. At least that what it was for mine. If yours is different, follow the line out of the oil pump toward the motor area. What I did was take that rubber piece off, remove the spark plug to make the motor turn over faster, and cranked the motor with the starter while holding the throttle wide open. It's a small hole on the rubber piece, or that's the way it was with mine. So you should see at least a little oil seep out of the hole no matter if it's rich or lean. Mine was obvious that it was working, because my motor is running really rich. If you have no oil peaking out at all, then count your chickens. You might want to check the screw that is used to attach the line to the rubber piece. It has a small hole for the oil to seep thru, and it could get a little piece of trash in it and keep it from flowing. Let us know what you results are.