Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New 700,,V-twin or inline, look at the pic.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001 | 07:56 PM
|
Pro Rider

http://biz.50below.com/freedom/templ...TYID=ps2688800[/L]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Why else would it be overhead valve instead of overhead cam, which is easy to do on an inline twin?, How else could they keep the width in check? This is an old rumor, the inline twin has been the popular rumor as of late because of the snowmobile engine already in use by Polaris.
I would much rather see a V-twin than an inline twin here. An inline twin is not a much better design than a single cylinder! In a 4-stroke the two pistons travel up and down together, firing on alternate strokes. Two-stroke twins are dynamically balanced, with one piston up while the other is down, but not 4-strokes. So a 2-valve/cylinder, pushrod inline twin is an engine fit for a forklift. Kinda like an old Triumph or BSA. On the other hand, a V-twin with a cam in the block, pushrod/rocker set-up is a,,, well,,, it's a Harley!! Look at the pic. Somebody with a Sportsman, print it out and go out to your garage and compare the side of that motor. IS this picture Real or Fake??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] 700 Twin Pic

Old 08-08-2001 | 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

Not to Be bashing or any thing but it looks dumb but who cares what it looks like on 700 cc Quad

Old 08-08-2001 | 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Fourlix...The color matches what others have said about the new Sportman700 but is it me or is it darn ugly??? Looks like a home-made modded 500. I hope it's a fake because I was really hoping Polaris would come out with something totaly new from looks to engine...

Old 08-08-2001 | 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yes that's the real deal. I've a seen a bunch of picturs of it, not just Polaris promo pics like that one, but real 35mm pictures in my hands. I've also seen all the cutaways and motor pictures.

Don't be fooled by the fenders. This is an all new frame and chassis. It's 740lbs because Polaris decided to build it tough, and not go for the light-weight cheap componets. This is an incredible machine to say the least. It only puts out a few more HP than the Grizzly 660 though.

The motor is wet sump, it's got a new small transmission with a seperate rearend gearcase. Not one huge one like the 500. No biggy to you unless you work on them like me, also the weight bias won't be so far back anymore so it shouldn't push. It's also got a VDO speedometer with all kinds of features built into it, if you know VDO stuff, it's pretty cool.

Anyway, I have a full spec sheet too but Polaris should be announcing it soon. All you guys that have been saying BS for so long, it's here. And it really has been for a long time. Polaris wasn't even going to release it this early, but they decided to go for it to avoid losing customers to competitors.

Also, see the Jeep-like grille? That removes to mount a winch, looks really sharp! The radiator is also larger, and easier to access. They switched to the Ranger type demand system, no more hubs, nice! So many little things, and a few big things. Polaris should announce stuff soon.

Also, the Sportsman 500 HO X is sharp! It's blue, has chrome wheels, Rawhide tires, tow hook, special seat covers and graphics, and comes with the multi-mount system and 2500lb winch. It looks really sharp!

Old 08-08-2001 | 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have a spec sheet in front of me, it's 683cc's. I thought it came with chrome wheels, a dealer reconfirmed that today about the chromes. That new 500 HO X has a retail of, $7700... That's no typo! Even he was shocked, he's going to sell them for $7000 even.

Tony

Old 08-08-2001 | 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RE:700SP
it's kinda strange that polaris uses BLACK on the part of the fenders that i scratch the MOST!
it's to bad.

MT

Old 08-08-2001 | 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Fourlinx

Dont count the sp700 out yet. It may be big and heavy but i bet it will have lots of torque and hp. I doubt that polaris will build something that would be inferior to the competion. Someone said that polaris made a beefed-up frame, what are they trying to make a Kubota tractor?? LOL maybee this frame will have less flex.

I hope they offer it in other colors.

later
jon

Old 08-08-2001 | 10:42 PM
Range Rover

polaris has been building inferior products for a long time :
680 ultra spx (crap)
700xc (gas hog, 9-10mpg)
800xc (gas hog, 7-9mpg)
thats why when the snow flys i ride a yamaha 145hp and 13-15mpg
will be ordering new sportsman(probly cost 6000$in canada)in spring, i hope they make it in black
as for weight who cares as long as the thing handles good and rides nice. weight is irrelivent when it comes to wheelers. Who is foolish enough to lift on the things at 600Lbs. in most cases if the power is there, weight equals traction.

together we will crush the grizz

betheviper

Old 08-08-2001 | 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

where is the picture at?i used the link but still never seen nothing but suzukis.

Old 08-08-2001 | 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have a copy and it is also my wallpaper now. Do you want it?

Quick Reply: New 700,,V-twin or inline, look at the pic.