Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 Spec sheet

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the facts straight from the dealer supplied spec sheet.

displacement 683cc, Liquid cooled, 4-valve, 4-stroke,carburetion 34mm-cv Mikuni (I would imagine 2) Fuel capacity 4.75gal. Alternator 300watts, Shaft drive, Engine braking system,Thumb-switch engage on-demand true 4-wheel shaft drive. Front suspensionMachPherson with 6.7" travel, Rear shock 2 in gas-charged monolube shock with tractionline mount. Tires: front-25x8x12, rear 25x11x12. Wheelbase 50.75", Turning radius 76", Dry wt. 740lbs, Length 85", width46", height 47", Hitch towing cap 1500lbs, Hitch tongue cap 150lbs, 1 50 watt handlebar light, and 2 27 watt grill lights. DC outlet,

Most powerful, smoothest riding 4x4, largest displacement engine, 11.25" ground clearance.....if I didn't like sport quads so much, I'd be in line
KT

Old 08-11-2001, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

They are only running a single carb on the 700, to keep tuning and reliability simple they claim.

Old 08-11-2001, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know where you guys got your information on specs. but they seem strange to me. If modquad is right about a 34 mm carb., he must also be right about two of them. Quad_man said that they are only using one carb.. If this is true, it must be much bigger than 34mm.. The Yamaha Grizzly 660 uses one 42mm carb., and the Kawasaki Prairie 650 uses two 32mm carbs.. One 34mm carb would not supply enough fuel for a twin cylinder 683cc. engine, plus a carb. for each cylinder should give much better response.
It also seems strange that they would use a smaller gas tank than the one on the Sportsman 500. Just the way I see it.

Old 08-11-2001, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

i would think a single carb is used becaus it is only feeding one cylinder at a time. Each cylinder is about 341cc and a 34mm carb can easily feed one that size. I hope polaris made it more fuel efficient because of the smaller fuel tank. Remember this is a siamese twin engine.

later
jon

Old 08-11-2001, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

ledebuhr1 got that right, since the cylinders fire on different strokes, they take in fuel on different strokes. A 34mm carb is plenty big enough to supply each cylinder at opposite times. In a way, the carb will be thinking it is on a 2 stroke, being that it would pump fuel every 2 strokes....but to two different cyclinders instead of one.
The Grizz has a huge carb because it is one huge cylinder. The Kawi 650 is a v-twin, and it is easier to use two carbs on that setup. (But one carb can be used if one wanted too.)
Overall, the twin polaris with one smaller carb, will probably make about as much power as the twin carbed or huge carbed compeditors. Plus it should get better fuel milage.

Old 08-11-2001, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

What about the single rear shock? I also have a set of specs in fromt of me but the fax did not print very well. From what I can read all the specs look like the first post.
I am not sure about the rear shock set up though?
Is there a different set up than the current sportsman? Or is a single shock just a misprint?

Old 08-11-2001, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

The single shock is a misprint, although my sheet doesn't say it's a single shock. It's got 9.5" of travel at each wheel like the current Sportsman. The actual shocks look like the same design, but to me, the shock tube seemed to have a larger diameter and the springs looked heavier. They are also progressive rate, we'll see how they work.

Another big reason for the small carb. is the gas mileage. I have no idea about the fuel tank, but I'm assuming it might have something to do with not having enough room to make it a big one unless it was taller, which might increase the center of gravity and also make everything else not line up that would be effected.

They put heavy-duty prop shafts and wheel hubs on it also, as well as all metal skidplates. They made the plastic thicker, and also made a stronger floorboard support.

I don't know what the difference in the clutches is, but they claim it has a smoother belt engagement than anybody. They also claim to have a new stronger belt.

The inline shifter will work much better, because it has no adjustable linkage. You can program service intervals on the speedometer, as well as plug into a diagnotics mode in the shop. It's got hydraulic valve train, no adjustment needed. It's also got a tow hook on it standard, just like the good old days.

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2001, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

My dealer is taking down payments now. He expects to get at least 4 in before christmas. $500.00 down. His pricing will be at 7,200.00 W/ $200.00 in accessories to whoever puts money down.

Old 08-11-2001, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

One thing that I don't see in any of the posts that I see on every big bore coming out is a locking front end. Does it have one, The four wheel drive system is nice, but I would like to have all four wheels turning at the same rate when I want them to, not when the rears slip.

Old 08-12-2001, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The front of the key features sheet states "Industry leading On Demand True 4-wheel drive with on/off thumb switch.

KT

Quick Reply: 700 Spec sheet