Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking about getting rid of the CAT and getting a HO

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I have been think for a while about getting a HO. I have had my Cat500(shift) for 4 months now. It has been to the dealership for brake problems 4 times. Part of the problem is that the dealership that I got this thing from will not give me the time of day. I have talked with the big boys up at AC and they have been very nice to me and have said many times that your problems will be fixed. The AC has spent more time in the shop then the days that I ahve been able to ride it.
When I brought it in 2 weeks ago for broken fuel guage, brakes plain old suck, hi/low shift lever and it back fires like a mad man. They told me that the gas guages are just that way, and it will fall apart again but they will fix it. I dont even know what is going on with the brake problems, i was out ridding a month ago and the fitting from the master cylander to the brake line came off, so brake fluid came out and dis-colored my plastic but they say that is just wear and tair on the finders, Im not stupid i know what brake fluid does to things. The high/low shift lever will not go back in to high unless i put the think into gear and let it make a bad grinding noise, and what does the dealership say, "thats the way its going to be and there is no way anyone can fix it" and to top it off the thing back fires like you can not believe.
To make a long story short what are the good things and what are the bad things about the Sportsman 500HO's. I dont want anything suger coated, just say what is good about them and what are the down falls.
Thanks for any of the help
sorry about the spelling, very tired today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2001, 06:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2000 HO Scrambler, I am dissapointed with the lack of power.Other points which I think are weak are appalling front mud guards for winter riding...they are for style/looks only. Ground clearance and performance in mud is not as good as my previous two stroke 350 Polaris. Front steering tends to sledge with poor initial turn in. On the positive side it is good on forestry roads and has a comfortable ride.

Old 08-21-2001, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

We bought two Sportsmans,both 2002 models a 400 and 500 H.O. We instaled last last years model of K&N air filter with pre socks.(parts are hard to get due to no listings yet,some of polaris parts listed in 2002 catalog you can't even get.)Top speed is now close on these two 58-62 mph,H.O. will pull away a lot faster.Both have around 500-600 miles 30-35 hours.Both quads have had no problems,ride is great and will take on anything.I replaced the belt once on the H.O.(my fault inproper range for hill, burned it)dealer just handed me a new one.Warrnty work and problems depend on the DEALER,some ony care till they have your money and you leave and others treat you as if you could be back as a future customer.Sorry to hear your problems it sounds like you got the ONE USE DEALER.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Stretch,
I don't wanna start a b*tch match, but he was talking about a 500 HO SPORTSMAN not a 500 HO Scrammy. I pretty sure ya know that, but the one thing that made me reply was the fact that you said you were dissapointed with the power.(err???) I don't understand where you are coming from. I mean, the Scrammies have more power than the ol' 600 Grizzlies! The only way I see where your point is if you went from a Raptor to a Scrambler, then you would be dissapointed. I mean, sure, anyone would always want MORE power, but I just don't understand how you are so dissapointed with the Scram's power now. I mean, what more did tou expect?

Just curious. Maybe I took your reply the wrong way.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:56 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I like mine. Great power and incredible 4wheel drive. It is a big machine with a great ride. Very comfortable for two (my wife and I ride together).

Old 08-21-2001, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry about the confusion over the sportsman/scrambler...I just reacted to the HO reference. I'm a 52 year old rider...have ridden most things most weekends. Our rides very from steep muddy hill country to fast private forestry roads.(very little Baja type conditions) I like the torque of the HO motor, but am disappointed with its get up and go. As I live in NZ, aftermarket parts are double the price because our dollar is US.44c!!!!!!
I am investing in a local tune shop muffler whiich should help it "holeshot" a bit stronger...but overall I think its a heavy quad and needs a good tweak to really make it out perform the farm quads in our conditions.

Old 08-22-2001, 10:19 AM

Hey Stitch,

Been a long time (Snake River). We will have to try it again when you get the HO! If your looking for a GREAT dealer check out Northway Sports in East Bethel. Talk to Danny Richards (owner) and tell him Chico sent you. Later