Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer having problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001 | 10:19 AM
|
Range Rover

My dad's 2000 Trailblazer, which has an HPD pipe and silencer, HPD clutch kit, and Fox rear shock, is acting up. When he goes to accelerate, the rpm's will reach the clutch engagement point, and then the engine will sound like it's bogging down and he doesn't have any power to even move. We thought it could just be a fouled plug, so we replaced it and that didn't work. Thought it could be jetting, but if he rolls down a hill and plays with the throttle, it will pick up and he can hit high RPM's, stop for a couple seconds and get going again. But if he idle's for more than a minute, he can't get going again. Someone mentioned that maybe it was the V-belt clutch, so we sprayed it with some Gunk out, and it worked for a couple minutes but then started to "bog" again. This didn't happen for the first couple times he rode it, it just started happening this past week. So my question is, has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have and ideas as to whats going on? Thanks.

Old 08-25-2001 | 11:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm familiar with the Gunk engine degreaser, but not with Gunk out. NEVER spray your belt with anything....unless maybe a slight wipe with a non-residual brake or electric cleaner....say if you had a localized spot of oil or debris. You should spray some brake-cleaner on a perfectly clean paper towel and wipe all your clutch surfaces. Use compressed air to blow out your clutches, but don't inhale the dust. Give Daryl a call at HPD, and he'll help you out. They have their modded 250 launching like a rocket. While you're waiting for them to open on Monday, check the minor maintenance things like your airfilter and fuel filter....not saying you neglect things, but sometimes it's the little things that compile into bigger probs. Good Luck!

KT........if you want to ride this weekend, just switch back to your old clutch setup, you can try just changing the primary first.

Old 08-25-2001 | 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Did your clutch kit come with the secondary spring? Kinda sounds like it might not be wound right or the buttons on the secondary might be smoked.

Old 08-25-2001 | 02:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Good point Todd400, A good cheap trick to stabilize your secondary,is to place a roll of tape down on the floor, that way you can let your body weight do the work. Also there are clutch holders available, they run around $80 though.

Good Luck,
KT
Jet mechanics have more thrust!!!!!

Old 08-25-2001 | 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

het atver14 how does your dad loke his fox shock ?? and has it made a big differance ?????

Old 08-25-2001 | 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

atver14 my wifes is doing pretty much the same thing ,ive tried everything ,from cleaning the carb,air filter ,new gas.hers dosent have a clutch kit though .does it sound like something is smacking the clutch cover when your in neuatral .one guy said it might be the reverse limiter switch ,still gotta get one to see if that works .let me know if you get it working ,&what you did

Old 08-26-2001 | 09:24 AM
|
Range Rover

Ok, here it goes.
Modquad and Todd400, please explain what you mean by "secondary" and "primary". I'm not familiar with Polaris terms (ask me a Honda question and I can answer it though). Also Modquad, I always clean his air filter after every ride, but where is the fuel filter, I went out there and looked but I couldn't see it. What do you mean by place a roll of tape on the ground to stabilize it?

SpankyLowe, my dad says that the Fox Shock seems like a smoother(sp) ride and it jumps a little better.

MadMan223, We tried the reverse override switch, but that didn't work. No, we don't have that smacking sound when were in neutral.

Everyone- We called the Polaris dealer, and he said that it might be a loose baffle in the exhaust that is causing too much back pressure. When you go down hill and the engine can freewheel, it gets going fast enough to blow that baffle away, but then when you idle it slowly works its way back. So we're going to try to put the stock exhaust back on, and it that cures it, problem solved, we just have to find the loose baffle. Where are the baffles? Are they in the pipe itself, or in the silencer. I took the silencer apart but didn't see anything unusual (but I didn't really know what I was looking for either.) The Polaris dealer also said that it could be the ignition coil, but then it wouldn't run good 24/7, so most likely it's not that.

Thanks for listening guys, the Honda forum isn't this informative!!

Old 08-26-2001 | 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

To check to see if it is the reverse override is also controls the throughtle sick safty control. When you take the nose off an look where there wires are look for a green wire an white wire. Disconnect those wires but make sure you remeber where they go. That will disconect the safty box an you will be able to see if that is the problem with it. This box controls alot of things went riding yesterday on our 400 scrambler 4X4 an a new 660 Griz one of the scramblers the 4X4 would not work an did earlyer so I disconcected the safty box by the white an green wires an then it worked agine. I would try doing this an see what happends I have seen 2 go out.

Old 08-26-2001 | 03:34 PM
Range Rover

ATVer 14,

Is this a problem with the engine, or the clutches? The way to find this out is to take the clutch cover off and remove the belt and see if the engine revs normally. If it does, your problem is in the Rear / Secondary clutch or transmission. If it doesn't the problem is in the engine.

If the machine revs normally when you take the belt off, it is a problem with either the secondary clutch's buttons being loose (or non existant) or the tranny is frozen. Also make sure that you have the helix wound properly. 1/3rd of a turn should do it.

If it doesn't rev while the belt is off, then the problem is in the engine and electrics. First take the oil tank off and remove the reverse rev limiter. If this doesn't cure it, remove the ignition coil and check for any gaps or cracks where water could get in. If there are gaps or cracks, dry out the coil usig a hair dryer and seal it with silicone sealant.

I don't think the theory of a loose baffle is going to fly unless you have an MSA spark arrestor muffler. Most of HPD's mufflers are a glass pack design and use fiberglass to deaden the sound. The MSA is different as they use a small baffle as the spark arrestor.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-16-2001 | 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

WHY DID YOUR DAD GET A REAR FOX SHOCK ON HIS TRAIL BLAZER. I HAVE A 2000 TB AND MY STOCK REAR SHOCK IS VERY STIFF. I AM SAVING UP FPR A FOX ONE. ERIC

2000 POLARIS TB
STOCK

Quick Reply: Trailblazer having problems, need help