Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP! HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went riding today on my '99 Scrambler 500 4x4 and it was doing great. About 1hr into the ride it wouldn't idle by itself so I stopped to adjust the idle a little. About 30 minutes later, we were running about half throttle and it started sputtering and would barely go. Now it won't idle or run for $#!t. When I do get it to start, which isn't a problem, is sounds like it is stopped up or water in the fuel but we haven't ran through any water all day. The girl is totally stock all the way down to the tires. There is a bolt under the exhaust/muffler, what is this for? Why do you have to tear the 4-wheeler apart just to check the plug? Is there an easier way? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2001, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Mine did something similar to that once and it ended up being bad gas. I drained the tank and filled it up with new gas and it started running fine.

Old 09-16-2001, 02:26 PM
Range Rover

Ok, I changed the gas to some from a totally different station and changed the plug but still the same problem. I did a compression check and I'm only pulling 80-85lbs, what am I supposed to have?

Thanks
Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2001, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Ok, disregard the compression, I have a bad guage. I finally got it to run right and now I am fouling plugs. What would be causing this? It usually happens after about a 1/4 tank of gas has been used. Please help!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Scott
99 Scrambler 500 4x4

Old 09-17-2001, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe your choke is stuck, causing it to be too rich?

Old 09-17-2001, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

You have checked your air filter to make sure it's not plugged right?

Old 09-17-2001, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

Thanks guys but I have checked them both and all is fine. It runs great and then all of a sudden it starts missing with no hint of any problems. Its like a light switch, on or off, great or fouled. There isn't any warning at all and it has me confused!!

Thanks
Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2001, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

It RUnS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Be sure the plug wire is connected solidly. Both the connection to the plug, and the wire in the boot. The boot is merely 'screwed' on to the end of the wire and can come loose, causing a weak spark, and untracable plug fouling. It is a long shot, but I say start with what is easiest to do & lowest in cost.
Could also be rev limiter going bad, cutting spark, which will also foul plugs.
Or a weak coil
Or CDI unit going out
Choke somehow engaging, over-richening mix, also fouling plugs
Lotsa things it could be, just gotta keep looking.

Old 09-18-2001, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

i don't own a polaris but the bolt under the muffler is used to clear the soot build-up inside the muff. on my ac 500 i take the plug out park the cat on a steep incline and rev the engine until no more soot comes out. it seems to make a difference of course it may be all psychological. any how there is my two bits.

texascat