Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help! - Popped Front Drive Shaft out - Polaris 2K1 500HO

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installing heavy duty springs on front shocks - I popped the drive shaft out of the hub! Can't seem to get it to go back together - suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 09-17-2001, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

You pulled it apart within the rubber boot of the cv joint??? If this is the case its just a splined shaft with a circlip at the end. The manual says to slide it in place(tap if needed). This is with the axle out of the atv though.

Good luck

Old 09-17-2001, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

OUCH! Those can be TOUGH to get back in without loosening back the boot, which will cost you at least one clamp. If you are patient, you may luck out and get it to line back up. The end of the shaft is held in by a spring clip just like Shaggy said. If you can get the shaft lined up where it is supposed to go, it should lock back in.
Good luck

Old 09-18-2001, 09:08 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Farmer 123

Last year you stated the pheasant hunting was poor to average. Any word on this year?

Old 09-18-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the pheasants are coming back better than they were. They are still harder to find than in previous years, but every now and again, a person comes across a small pocket of them, and finds several. Other times, about all you get is excercise. They will be much easier to find after the corn gets picked. They have a habit of disappearing into the cornfields, and are impossible to find in that 7 ft tall stuff.
Still got OODLES of turkeys, though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I almost wonder if they aren't competing with the pheasants for habitat.
There are a few hunting lodges springing up around here, and they have 'for pay' pheasant hunts. People have better luck there because they stock them. I never 'seeded' birds, but, then again, I don't feel right charging anyone to hunt, either. I just let about as many go as I feel there are birds for. If interested, I can get back to you in October, when we open up the cornfields, how many there seem to be.

Old 09-18-2001, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

I have been looking for a set of heavy duty front springs but my dealer can't seem to find the part number. We only looked for a few minutes. Also does anyone have instructions on how to install them? I have found a set for the front and rear through Dennis Kirk but aren't sure about them.
Thanks

Old 09-18-2001, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

Yup - I have the Dennis Kirk heavy duty springs - just putting them on this week. You NEED a spring compressor to put the rear springs back on the shock. If you don't have one, take your shocks and springs to the dealer and let them put them back on. Impossible comes to mind when thinking of getting them back on without the compression tool. I used a automobile sized spring compressor (which is too big) and 1) I'll never put myself at that much risk again and 2) It takes 2 guys, one to hold the "spring bomb" and the other to tighten the bolts. Also - be carefull when you pull the springs off the shocks - there is some pressure and could hurt unprotected body parts. As far as the front springs go - I dont know yet. I pulled the axle out of the hub and thats as far as I gone. Will post a report on how to fix that when I know how. FYI - the rear springs made a big difference. My wife and I like to ride together and the fenders were nearly to the tires. With the HD springs and a highlifter kit we can ride just slighly higher then when a single person is on the bike. Again, I'm looking forward to having the stiffer springs on the front also.

Old 09-18-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Part #'s for the heavy polaris springs are.

Front 101 lb/in. 7041450-067
rear 140 lb/in. 7041519-067

The standard fronts are 64/113 lb/in dual rate.
The standard rears are 100 lb/in.

They also sell a soft front 61 lb/in part #. 7041238-067

Old 09-18-2001, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the Dennis Kirk springs. Any suggestions either way?

Old 09-18-2001, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Get the cheapest. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Odds are good they all came from the same manufacturer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
The heavy fronts really help in the rough stuff. The stockers bottomed allot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Good luck

Quick Reply: Help! - Popped Front Drive Shaft out - Polaris 2K1 500HO