Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Honda FourTrax Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't it all the guys from the Honda forum who belittled us when the specs came out for the SP700? "Man, what an OUTDATED engine! Pushrods are such an old technology!"

What's this thing got? Ohh, that's RIGHT, PUSHRODS!

How ironic.

Old 09-23-2001, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Just curious, but if the transmission fails on this "Rincon" (they must have had Suzuki pick that name for them) do you have to send it back to Japan like with the Rubicon? Nice looks, though! I do like SOME of the features on it, but how did they get it to weigh in at 600 LBS? I'd love to see how they did that with the Rubicon weighing in at 600lbs while adding IRS and other features.

I hate to say this, but the Kawasaki 650 has just been knocked off as the best "Monster ATV". You guys do know that (at least in the magazines) Hondas are always the best, no matter what. It doesn't matter that the Honda could be slower than most 400cc quads or have wood spoked wheels with friction brakes, it will still be the best (at least in the fantasy world that is 4 Wheel Action or Dirt Wheels).

Old 09-23-2001, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

It doesn't have the same type of transmission as the Rubicon. This one is more like an old Automobile 3 speed automatic. It has separate and distict shift points.

Old 09-23-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I really want to know how a fully automatic 3-speed is better than a manual 5-speed, or a belt-driven automatic. You've got less gear ratios, and less control of what its doing. More of a chance of getting into a situation where you're between gears, whereas that NEVER happens with an automatic, and it rarely happens when you've got 5 gears to choose from. I dunno... seems like an old technology that's more expensive, and less efficient than the newer technology...

Old 09-23-2001, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Just think if it this way, next we will have are 650ex!!

Old 09-23-2001, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one call Bull$hit! If you look at the spec sheet for the rubi and the Rincin side by side they both wiegh 600.0 pounds. I think Hondas scale is broken there is now danm way both of these machines weigh the exact same....
1)irs
2)all around larger machine
3)more sophisticated tranny w/ touque converter
4)bigger engine
just to name a few. Makes me wonder if polaris is the only company with the guts to publish the true weight of their atvs?

Old 09-23-2001, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

"Makes me wonder if polaris is the only company with the guts to publish the true weight of their atvs?"

It's called: Mild steel = More steel. Or in Polaris terms more weight = better quality.

Old 09-23-2001, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

I was at the ATV Jamboree too and saw the Rincon in person I my Dad and my wife all think it is butt ugly I don't like the styling at all.
I wish they could have used the Rubicon but added IRS I think the Rubicon is a good looking bike.
One other note at the ATV pulls and mud drags Polaris dominated the HO out pulled the new Grizzly and no one would take the Grizzly through the mud I think fear of humiliation the Grizzly has the rev limiter in diff lock and I think that would cause it to get stuck. When I was there no one tried the mud or tried pulling with the new Kawasaki 650. Also in the mud the Rubicon got hung up really fast it did not go very far.
One thing my Dad noticed that he pointed out to me for ever 3 Polaris there was a Honda Yamaha or Kawasaki. Now there are a lot of people who come in the Polaris forum to bash Polaris but it was obvious at this Jamboree that the majority of what people rode was Polaris for being such a over weight POS like most Honda Yamaha and Kawasaki people want you to believe there sure are a lot of people buying them.
After owning 5 Honda's 1 Yamaha 1 Kawasaki and 2 Polaris I can tell you Honda's do not holdup any better than my Polaris Kawasaki and Yamaha have.

Old 09-24-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the pics 3tv ! How does the tranny seem to be set up,I only see hi and d ? Did you get any information on it? Any info you could pass on would be great as I am sure we will not see it for atleast a year here in Canada. Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2001, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

3TV,

The Rincon (geez that's a stupid name, they must have subcontracted Suzuki to name it) seems like a pretty slick machine. The idea of saving weight using aluminum A-arms sounds like a good idea in theory, I'd just like to see how well they work in real life. If they work as well as they look, everything should be fine.

The transmission idea is a good one in theory too. If worse comes to worse you could just take it to AAMCO to get it fixed. If the transmission on the Rubicon was so great, why didn't they use it on the new model? Frankly I think they should pitch that transmission in the sea and go with the one on the Rincon for the Rubicon. The up shifting and down shifting on the Rincon sounds like it would drive me nuts. I'm used to SMOOTH power delivery on my machines.

I'll take my snowmobile with tires on any day. If I decide to bump up the power, I can always change the clutching on mine. Let's see someone come out with an aftermarket stall converter for the Rincon.

Also, I don't think that buying that machine will make you that much slower. I'm in the same boat that you're in as far as that goes. I ride for five minutes and wait for ten. It really sucks to be fast sometimes.....

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda FourTrax Rincon