Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Shaggy500HO

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you have a pipe on yours.

what can you tell me about it. I've been away for quite a bit, but was considering a pipe system...

Old 09-25-2001, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
You have a private message.

Old 09-25-2001, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I caught the fit/rubbing problems, but what about design? Can you explain the design, and performance.

Old 09-25-2001, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

The muffler is a good piece with a good fit. Looked nice when new but is stained with mud now. Some polish would cure this. The exhaust outlet is large and open so deep water could create problems if you were to stall. I would not call it quiet either. It has been rack deep in water several times with no trouble. I have stalled it when stuck in a mud hole. When the back end was sitting in the deep mud it choked the exhaust off. I plan on a snorkel for it as I tend to try most of the deep stuff.
The header pipe is where the main trouble was. It is tapered and the muffler end is huge. It is also a little short and it pulls the muffler into the shock/spring. I saw two different header pipes and there were several differences between the two. HSP may have taken care of this by now. I know of one person who has his HO there. Maybe he knows??? I think someone was being sloppy with the setup of the weld fixture for the header pipes.

The performance gain with the header/muffler were not that great. I was not surprised by this as other's have said this about the 500 Fuji. It does pull harder and smother but I never timed it to test for any real gains. I also added a K&N at the same time as the header/muffler. For jetting I have tried a 157.5 main jet, this was too much. Loss of low end and picked up a bad off idle stutter. Dropped to the 155 main jet, it feels good here. I may drop back to the stock 152.5 jet after the winter as it felt good this way too. It still needs some tuning but I have been to lazy to mess with it much as of late.

The hypershift clutch kit is very aggressive. I need/want a tach as it feels like the RPMs are a bit to high. I lost a few MPH too. I added some 55 gr weights(RPMs dropped) over the weekend and picked up two mph. The kit came with 53.5's. I was not happy with the hypershift kit as is came and it may still need some tweaking. I need a tach now to try a few other combos. I have several sets of weights, springs and two helix's to test again.

Hope this helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Shaggy

Old 09-25-2001, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks,

I'll try to keep up to date a little more :-)

I design/sell my own (have production built) exhaust systems for the GM diesel trucks, and have seen some of the production crap that is out there.

There really is no excuse! Sloppiness just doesn't cut it.

I think I'll maybe just try a larger outlet and add a flange so I can bolt on a snorkel.

Is there an air jet up in the slide chamber???

I think that opening up the air box is still the answer, but siome vacuum slide tuning will be necessary...

Anything going on with riding any more this year in MN???

Old 09-26-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't played with the carb much yet. I know the spring in the vacuum slide seems to be the same for the SP500HO and the SC500HO. I don't know if a change here would be good or bad. Its the same with the dynojet kits, Same spring for SP and SC. I did try running without the airbox lid when I had the 157.5 jet in. It ran even worse. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I know a few people who want go to Nemadji state forest, MN(day ride) and/or to a cabin(overnight stay room for 10+) 10 miles east of Gordon WI on Y. Let me know if you are interested in either one. No dates are set as of yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2001, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

I'd have to know in advance.

There's all kind of crap you could do to the slide. There is a hole in the slide, and generally an air jet to regulate opening vacuum etc.

I think the slide is staying shut with the lid off. A guy would need an extra slide or 2 and a bunch of the air jets to play with.

OR a 40mm CV like the one off of my Harley...