Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scramblers and ohlins shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 11:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is time for an upgrade on the shocks in the Scrambler and am seriously considering the ohlins or Works shocks. Has anybody used these on here and which are the best? I know that I want adjustable compression and rebound damping as well as preload adjustment, so that is why I am considering these expensive alternatives but if I get them at these prices and as in choosing the Scrambler I don't want second best(imho)!

Old 10-31-2001, 12:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I know Works units are available, but didn't know about the Ohlins. With over 100lbs removed from my quad I get beat up pretty badly, even with softened Fox's with some mix and match dual rate springs. I just spoke for a set of HPD's shock for next spring. He only builds about 10 sets a year, so kinda rare, but I know they work. I know the Works units have had some great feedback. Please keep us posted on the Ohlins if you go that route.

KT

Old 10-31-2001, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

Jerry,

You're talking about the rear shock, right? I can give you some insight on the Works rear shock. The shock I recieved was one step down from their top of the line Ultracross rear shock, in other words, it had rebound dampening adjustment and a remote reservoir but no compression dampening.

For my use, the compression dampening is just about spot on. The shock will collapse about 3 or 4 inches and then the dampening starts to get hard. I know it isn't the spring, because it's only a single rate. This works great for me because it allows the quad to respond to small bumps and big jumps equally. It gives a nice cushy landing (sort of like landing on pillows) from any major jumps. Needless to say I've never bottomed it, even on a MX course near my house.

Old 10-31-2001, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

Well after checking with ohlins you can forget them. I was told they have no intention of offering anything for Polaris. Works however has quite a range of options.

modquad: Appreciate your input, I will look at HPD as well.

Mike Chero: As well thanks for your input. Actually I should be more specific, I am being lazy. I will be replacing the front strut cartridges as well as the rear shock. I guess my main focus right now though is on the rear shock.
Question: do you feel that looking for adjustable compression damping is asking to much when using the bike only for aggressive trail riding in the mountains and sand dune riding. The sand dunes I ride at have trails that include a lot of whoops. I hate having to travel thru these like an old man (toung in cheek).

Will keep you all posted as to my progress and thanks again for you guy's help.

Old 10-31-2001, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

If I remember correctly; AEEN use to sell an Ohlin's shock for the rear of the Polaris.

Old 10-31-2001, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

jerry i know jim had his fox rear shock revavled by pep i think he said it was around 200 bucks thats a new spring with it too you may want to check that out.

Old 10-31-2001, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Jerry,

The front struts are another story. I've had the Fox and Works front struts on my machine (not at the same time of course). The Fox struts have better compression dampening than the stock struts, which have no compression dampening at all. The Fox struts have a straight dampening rate. They are stiff at the top at the travel and just as stiff at the bottom of the travel. The Works struts have a progressive dampening rate. They are soft in the first few inches of travel, and then harden up for the last few inches. The Works are clearly the superior design in this case. Compaired to the stock struts, both the Works struts and Fox are clearly better designs. If you want to run the Fox struts, may I suggest getting the Hot Seat Dual rate spring kit. These springs will give the struts a more progressive feel. I have the Works struts and the Hot Seat Springs on my Sport. I wanted to lower the ride height and leave the front end cushy (I don't hit many big jumps). If you do hit big jumps, the hot setup might be to leave the stock springs on and go with the Works struts. Or order the Hot Seat springs and the Fox struts.

Hope this helps

Old 10-31-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Jerry,

The only thing I've heard about the Ohiln shocks were that they were about as good as the stock Fox shock. I've heard that because of that, they didn't sell as many and discontinued them. They were popular at one time because the Fox shock wasn't offered on all machines.

Old 11-01-2001, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

Get the rear shock rebuilt at a good shop. This will save you some cash to get some front struts and springs. I have the fox struts with the hot seat dual rate springs and I can tell you that it is night and day compared to stock. Now if you really like to hit big jumps by an mx bike. The stock suspension on them is all you'll ever need! Trails are fun on my scrambler. But the tracks are awesome on my bike!