Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at purchasing a 96 Polaris Scrambler 440 4X4 at what looks like to be a steal. I can only find two issues with it that I am not sure about and wanted all of your opinions.

1. When I fill the tank with gas it will leak out the rubber breathing tubes at the back under the quad just above the axle. It seem it leaks no matter what I do and will leak until the tank is empty. When you ride it you don't notice any power loss and the engine runs steady all the time.

2. The started seems to miss when you try to start it at times. you will try 4 times in a row and get it but then the next 3 or 5 will miss. There is no consistency with it. Sometimes it will miss sometimes it wont.

Also, does anyone have any tips on things I can do when looking at, kicking the tires so to speak, to check and see if it is worth it or if it is a piece of crap. I am new to this, as I'm sure you can see based on my questions above, and am not really sure what to look for. I live in a small town where the closest dealer is a 2 hour dive. I would appreciate any hints, tips, tricks, and basic info anyone can give me about this ATV. Thanks for your help.....

Dean

Old 11-04-2001, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been discussed many times in this forum and again here recently. This quad seems to have the 440 kit, so it probably has a few other mods maybe. We tend to tell people like yourself to stay away from quads that have modifications. And in this case, something is already messed up, gas leaks in a tube I have never seen gas leak out of, and the starter is screwed, from what you say, it sounds like a new starter. The only way I would take this quad is if they gave it to me.
My .02