Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

When became ATVing really popular in America? When did you guys start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 01:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a kinda boom over there, isnt it? When did it really get popular and when did you guys start with Quading?

Did you never hear any comments from neighbours like >>This guy must be crazy: He is an adult and still playing in the mud<<????

Would like to get to know some of your ATV history?

Rgds Martin

Old 11-06-2001, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

I bought my first quad in July of 2000. I rode a couple of my friends quads, but was not hooked untill I went riding with a buddy on a 400 4x4 scrambler all decked out with mods. After that all I wanted to do was ride and play in the mud. My wife has rode quads in the past but will not ride hers after she wrecked it this spring. Anyone interested in a 2001 Kawasaki 220 Bayou? It's red and has around 12 hours on it.

If I don't sell it I will trading it in this winter or early spring on a Suzuki SV650S, Bandit600S, Z400, Polaris's new sport quad, or I don't have a clue.

Old 11-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mr Martin,
in the early 80s,three wheelers were promting their biggest popularity gains.Than around 1985,the Consumer Product Safety Commission [CPSC] stuck their nose in it,all in the name of INJURIES.Some time in 1988,the manufacturing of 3 wheelers was banned.The true life of 4 wheelers followed this ban.

The rest is history.In Michigan alone,there is an excess of 70 thousand REGISTERED ATVs alone,thats not including the dirt bikes/ORVs.Michigan ranks 4th in the world in total registered ATVs.

I got started out on 3 wheelers in 1983.I switched over to 4 wheelers in late 1986.Been riding them since.I currently have three 4 wheelers.

2000 Xplorer 4x4 400cc
2-2001 Kawi 300cc Lakota's

I love an ATV!

Bill

Old 11-06-2001, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Ah yes, three wheelers! I remember the late 80's in Michigan having hill climb competitions against the three wheelers. We loved watching them flip backwards, often. Unfortunately the son of my brother's friend was killed on one. Not so funny after that. Back then we seemed to prove two wheels were better than three.

It has been ten years since I rode when my friend introduced me to quads. Shortly after that we went to Silver Lake (Michigan) and watched all the quads in the dunes. A week later I bought one. That was this past July. I'm hooked!

Hey MUDDY4LIFE, all I remeber about living and riding in Michigan was ditching the cops and the DNR. Good ol' Michigan seems like they came around a bit. Unfortuneatly there were no designated trails and riding areas where I lived.

Old 11-07-2001, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

about 3 years ago(fall '98) i had an itch to buy i dirtbike so i bought a XR250l ans started riding with my older brother.
about 2.5 years ago(spring '99) i went to oregon dunes with a friend for a 3 day weekend, i borrowed his brother's '86 lt250r,it had only knobbies on it, but it was enough to hook me. then later that summer(aug '99) i bought a '91 lt250r, that i keep modding slowly... and riding when i get the chance to, both local trails and dunes... and may even try to race locally.
i still ride the XR but not as much. they're both fun in their own element and present different challenges.

Old 11-07-2001, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider

I got started on ATVs in the mid 70s. Most of my friends and I were into dirt bikes at the time. Another friend of mine asked me to go riding with him on his new 1975 ATC90. We went riding and after maybe 10 minutes I insisted that I had to have one of these right now! I proceded to buy one the very next day. Most if not all of my dirt bike pals thought I was crazy and so did my dad. After taking all the teasing from them about not being able to balance and having to ride a "trike" they eventually came around and asked to "try it". Needless to say I spent a lot of time riding their dirt bikes while they rode my wheeler. My dad was also impressed enough to buy his own 3 wheeler in 1982. By the early 80s thats all we rode. My wife even had her own bike and we rode alot. I went through the whole line up of models from sport to workhorse. There were no trail systems or designated riding areas. We just went where we pleased and it seemed as if everyone that tried riding an ATV wanted one. I was a diehard 3 wheeler until 1987. I had always said I would never ride a 4 wheeler unless they made a 4 wheel drive model. They came out with the TRX300 in 88 and I was the first one of my group to make the switch. Again I took the teasing until the first time I showed them what it could do in mud.
Since the first time I ever sat on an ATV I was hooked and I still am. Most of my neighbors say exactly what you brought up! I still act (and usually feel) like the oldest KID on the block. I still like to get muddy, and do wheelies down the road now and then. None of them complain about my antics because I usually plow their driveways. But they are often seen shaking their heads and wondering if, not when, I will grow up. I just smile!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2001, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

I started riding 15 years ago when I got stuck in my Jeep. I hit the gas so hard to get out I hit a tree and ripped off a bumper. I decided ATVs would be cheaper & better to beat on. I still love it!

Old 11-07-2001, 07:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i was born this way.Always been on a bike or something with wheels for the past 42 years.I still love the trails better than any thing. -------------------------------Brad 1996 425 magnum 1996 400 Sportsman 2001 Breeze (sons) 1972 FLH Harley 1996 GMC pick up

Old 11-08-2001, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my first atv in 1988, it was a 1987 polaris cyclone.
I took a lot of heat from my honda and yamaha friends when I
bought it. People really got a laugh when I would start it
with a pull rope, no elect starter, theyed asked if it had
a Briggs & Stratton engine.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

My first was a ATC 70 brand new when I was 4, then I moved to a 110, then a suzuki 250 quad runner.

I've been atv'ing for about 20 years.

Quick Reply: When became ATVing really popular in America? When did you guys start?