Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP700 Overheat / Mud clogging radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 11:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of buddies and I went out to The Mounds near Flint, MI (sorry MUDDY4LIFE, I only had about 30minutes notice or I woulda let you know) on Saturday. Lots of thick gooey clay mud. The 700 with the Goodyears does REAL well in it BUT the radiator became clogged COMPLETELY and the temp overheat indicator came on eventually (it took almost an hour of riding with virtually no air flow!). Other than NOT hitting 3 foot deep mud holes, anyone have some tricks that will help keep the mud from sticking? I have heard that a liberal application of WD40 can help but would like to know if you all have any better ideas?

Old 11-26-2001, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno about other folks but the wd-40 doesn't sound like such a "hot" tip ( sorry bad me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) At the minimum it[wd40] will roast off the lighter oil compenents and have a sticky coating waiting to gather dust on the radiator. That sort of stuff doesn't wash off easy, and would cause overheating by itself. I also can't really see it helping with mud too much either.

Within fifty miles of here they make fire bricks, and heat ceramic tile, out of slightly refined missouri mud, it's one of the few suppliers in the world for the stuff(including supplying nasa with tiles for various uses, not limited to the shuttles). It's okay, they're cheap, it is after all only slightly refined mud. The local mud is also somewhat like glue, so after it's globbed on, it dries into something like concrete, and makes a suberb heat barrier.
THE SOLUTION, and the only one I know of, wash it off before it becomes the concrete stuff.

Some other types of mud may repelled by a waxy type coating, but I don't think that WD40 would be the coating of choice anyhow.

Old 11-26-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I do not know how much of a "hot tip" this is but here it goes. Maybe bring a water bottle, one that you can squeeze water out of, similar to the squeeze GatorAid bottles, and fill it up with some clean water from a stream or from home. When you notice mud build up you can do the best you can to spray some of it off. LOL Thats about all I could think of, but at least I tried.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It might not work for the thick a** mud, but it might help somewhat.

LOL Hope I helped. Just a ghetto idea.

Tom

Old 11-26-2001, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I used to do the water bottle thing until Marango last year. Those water bottles only go so far. Get High Lifters ATV Shower. You drop it in a stream or pond and wash that radiator off. I use it all the time now. I have even gone so far as to carry a 5 gallon bucket in the back of my truck for quick washes of my radiator during lunch.

Old 11-26-2001, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Did anyone ever try that MuddOff spray on stuff in the Dennis Kirk catalog? It sells for $7.99 a bottle and says it supposed to make mud easily clean off any part of your ATV.

Just wondering...

Old 11-27-2001, 04:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
I was out there on Sunday,we missed each other by one day.I did some mudding also,not nearly as much as you.I just busted up 3 legiments in my right ankle playing basketball,so I had to be CAREFUL.

My brother Joe owns a collision shop and I use a product called DO-ALL.Its like Armour All but more than 2 times as effective.If I know im going to be doing ALOT of mudding,I spray the entire front of the radiator down with a liberal amount of this stuff.Never once has the hot light come on.Who knows,with as much trouble as I've had from this quad,it maybe dont even work???lol

Bill

Old 11-27-2001, 08:44 AM
Range Rover

MUDDY4LIFE: What brand is that DO-ALL stuff marketed under? Maybe I can try to find a bottle of it somewhere. I kind of figured that some sort of Armor-All type product might be the best idea. For now I have spryed a liberal amount of a product called "Engine-Brite" on the radiator- it's kinda like Armor-All for your engine compartment. It may not make the mud not stick while playing but should help with removal later on when using the garden hose! Do you use the priovate messaging part of this forum? If you want to you can send me your e-mail address and I will then send you mine so we can get together next time we plan on a trip to the Mounds more easily.

Old 11-27-2001, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

Jack3689-

About the only thing I can think of is to root around in the weeds until you find an old oil can. Cut the top off and then just keep filling it up in the nearest mud puddle and splashing it on your radiator. Either that or buy a Grizz! hahahahahahahaha

Old 11-27-2001, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

<< Jack3689-

About the only thing I can think of is to root around in the weeds until you find an old oil can. Cut the top off and then just keep filling it up in the nearest mud puddle and splashing it on your radiator. Either that or buy a Grizz! hahahahahahahaha
>>

Oh wait, that IS what I did! You must be psychic! (Or maybe your the guy who has a Grizz 660 that I rode with?????) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Actually, had I actually splashed the radiator (and not the guard in front of it) that trick probably would have worked!

Maybe next time you will drive that purty new Grizz in the deep mud too and actually get it dirty! LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2001, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
Just click on my profile and there's my e-mail.Im going to have to give you the phone number of this DO-ALL stuff in your e-mail.First I gotta find it.I'll get back ahold of you by e-mail.

Bill

Quick Reply: SP700 Overheat / Mud clogging radiator