Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Problem, Shift Selector Jam

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 05:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had a problem with the shift selector jamming? Mine got stuck in reverse. I had to disconnect the linkage and jiggle it, put it back and now all is fine. However, the shifter continues to feel stiffer than it should and I sense it would like to jam again. My bike is a 2000 sportsman with 135 hours. Other than this issue, it is running fine.

Old 12-01-2001, 09:29 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the oil in the shifter

Old 12-01-2001, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

Good recommendation, but unfortunately, it wasn't that simple. The oil level and condition was fine.

Old 12-01-2001, 10:54 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only other thing i can say is clean the shift joints real good and be sure thearent loose. thats all i have ever had go wrong with mine

Old 12-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

You may have to adjust the shifter rods some. There is a lock nut on these, if they get loose during the course of riding they could come out of adjustment. With some practice these are easily adjusted. I had to learn the hard way after having a frame changed(long story), the box that houses the shifter mechanism was welded a fraction off from the original. The Dealer's(townline sales in Flint on Clio Rd.) crack service crew gave me back my quad saying the shifter is notchy, and cant be adjusted in properly. Having decided NEVER to do business with these idiots again I self taught myself to adjust the shifter so it works like it should.

Old 12-16-2001, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

Still looking for some help on this subject. The shifter continues to work but it does not seem right. To put it in gear, i really need to shove the shifter with authority. Maybe this is normal, but i don't think so. Sometimes it wants to stick in reverse or forward (low) and I really need to yank it to change gears.

Any other ideas?

Old 12-16-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Be sure to check that the clutch isn't dragging. This usually makes it hard to shift in/out of Low and Reverse especially.

Old 12-16-2001, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

Farmer, You mention clutch dragging and piqued my interest. ON thing i did not mention was that i recently developed a problem of creeping. This is a relatively new problem where the bike moves forward at idle. Someone said it could be a worn belt, another said mis aligned clutch.

Any ideas?

Old 12-16-2001, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

There's your sign! You cant shift when the tranny is moving. idle speed to high or check your accelerator cable to see if its bound any where.

Old 12-17-2001, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

I had the same problem with my Magnum 325. When shifting from low to reverse, it jambed and I was stuck in low. Removed the linkage and jiggled until it started working again. To prevent this, I had to be sure to pull straight back to neutral, then move it up and then back for reverse. It never happened again.

Check the linkages and make sure the low range linkage is fully engaged. There is some sort of lock-out that keeps the high and low range from trying to engage at the same time. The forward and reverse is part of another linkage.

Good luck,

Quick Reply: New Problem, Shift Selector Jam