Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife's quad is a 98 Recon.We also have a new Lakota.I agree,the 300 Honda is as bullet proof as they come.I thought I did my home work on my 99 Sportsman 500cc.I allmost bought the 600 Grizz until I found out it had FAR less to offer than the Sportsman for the SAME amount of $$.

As for the 650?I dont think so?My 2000 Xplorer 4x4 sports a solid rear axle,im done with that type of axle.It rides NOTHING like my Sportsman and not even close to the new 660 Grizz with IRS.My friend Jeff has the new 660 Grizz,this quad is the WHIP!

VEGASDUDE,
Value and fun mean NOTHING without RELIABILITY!

Thats all I can say!!

Old 12-11-2001, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Muddy thats cool, if thats what you want then I suggest that you wait and see how the new 650 Honda is gonna work. I here that its like riding a cloud wrapped in pure muscle, and you now with Honda your gonna get quality. And its about time they came out with their version of an IRS rear suspension.
What ever you decide just remember to have fun, nice talkin with you and VEGAS DUDE that little speal about polaris and them being innovators or whatever you said, well whoa! What a load of crap, I did'nt see polaris come up with a seal rear breaking system that is almost 100% maintenace free, or a lever locking front diff that you don't have to wait until your stuck so that you can use it. Enovation is relocating the fuel tank so as to optimize the center of gravity so that the ride and stability is second to none. And last but not least, innovation is enginerring a powerplant from the crankcase up that is smooth as silk and more powerful then any other motor in any atv in its class. What's not innovative is retooling a piece of junk sled motor so it would fit into a 730lb. sp500 frame. So drop the Naziist polaris people drive quality crap and wake up. Save you pennies DUDE I feel an axle breaking.
Well that felt good, see you guys later I.m going back across the tracks to Kawiville, nice talkin to you MUDDY, you'll make the right choice be a Yami or Honda but like I said just take the 650 for a burn.

Old 12-11-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

<< I recently had a buddy tell me that he loves his &quot;slowaris&quot; even though he's had to dump hundreds of dollars into it just to keep up. >>

&quot;slowaris&quot; Ahahahahahahaha! That's almost as stupid as &quot;Po-Po-Polaris&quot; and &quot;Poorlaris&quot;, maybe even as stupid as &quot;Poolaris.&quot;

I watched this post get bigger and bigger and very stupid as well. I DO NOT WANT TO START ANYTHING, but I can't help. Hmmm...Where to start??? Kawasaki has been a REEEALY big innovator, being that they released the Prarie 650, THE ONLY GOOD QUAD TO COME OUT OF KAWASAKI IN HOW LONG??? How slow are Polaris quads? Well in comparison to sport quads, slow, but there's no way in hell you can get off saying the Utilies are slow. Lets see...the OVERWEIGHT Sp500 beat the Grizz 600, a quad that has about 100cc's more and weighs about 100lbs less, in numerous shoot outs. Would there be a diff lock on the Kawi650 if it wasn't for Polaris and Suzuki? Hmm real innovative there Kawi, I mean it is an awesome feature, but you can't give Kawi all the props for it. Would Kawi have put such a monster engine in that beast if it wasn't for Polaris playing one of the biggest roles in the big-bore market??? Why does the Sp700 weigh so much? Yes it has alot to do with Polaris' &quot;bigger is better&quot; philosophy, but does it occur to you that it does have the best stock tires EVER on an ATV? They just happen to be a heavier tire too. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the tires and wheels account for all the weight, but it sure does add alot. They could have put some light weight aluminum wheels and some skimpy tires on there, but they didn't. Plus, along with the tires, it comes with rack extenders AND a HITCH!!!A hitch...hmmm, sounds like something that should be on every utility quad. Well...guess not. I guess you gotta hand that innovation to Kawasaki.

There are alot of things that Polaris could have cut back on to save weight, like substituting aluminum in some places instead of steel, but they didn't. I don't want to say any more because I know that I will get my a$$ chewed out FOR DISSIN' THE ALMIGHTY PRARIE 650!!! lol I'm not trying to bash anyone or anything (hmm don't we hear that alot), and I'm not accusing anyone of bashing anything. I just thought I'd post my opinion here too since I see some people already did.

P.S. The point of my post is:
How can we say one company is more innovative over the rest? I am not partial to any particular brand. We can say that Honda is better than Suzuki because without the 3-wheeled design, there would be no 4-wheeled design. Then, we could say that Polaris' existance (and all 4 wheel ATV manufacturer's existance) is because of Suzuki. Then we could say that Polaris and Yamaha are responsible for the big bore utility race. Which all keeps adding up more and more until all quads have built in GPS and an AM/FM stereo, or whatever can fit onto a quad. Then we can look back and say that the only true innovator is Honda. No manufacturer is more innovative than Honda. Period.

Old 12-11-2001, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

LUVINMY650,
I like what im hearing about the new Honda 4x4 Rincon,however,im NOT sold on that torque sensing front end.I know guys that have it in their Rubicons,it does NOT work as advertised by Honda.Im just wondering how its going to work in the new Rincon?If I own a 4x4 ATV,it WILL have the option to deleiver power to ALL 4 wheels.

In regards to being allmost stuck before Polaris front end activates?That could'nt be further from the truth.In fact,if it were'nt for Polaris CONTINUED leaking front hubs,I'd say they have the best 4x4 system on the market.You cant even tell when it kicks in,and when it does,it deleivers wheel spin to BOTH front wheels,not just one.I have NEVER been out mudded on my Xplorer yet.I have had a few modified ATVs go as far as me,but to date,I've never had one go further in the mud.

My friend Jeff Fox Sr has a 650 Kawi twin.He is suppose to let me take it for a spin when he comes up my way.Perhaps you know him from the Kawi Forums?

Nice chatin to yah,keep the sunny side up!

Bill

Old 12-11-2001, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

Holy jumpin eyed christ man, take another ridalin! Your getting to emotional over this. I knew I'd get someones goat before long.
I couldn't agree more with you on giving the props to Honda.
I see your runnin bearclaws, what size are you runnin and how do you like them.

Old 12-12-2001, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

luvinmy650, look at the damn question that the guy asked ! he wants 700 owners to reply! DO YOU HAVE ONE? IF NOT, YOU ARE NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION!

Old 12-12-2001, 09:34 AM
Range Rover

<< And as for Jack 3689, if the 650 isn't the granddaddy then I'd be interested to know what one is. And to mention which atv is more utility orientated, might I suggest you look at the specks on the 700 and 650 towing capacity. I believe that the 700 has a few pounds extra in towing capacity which is no big deal since it has about 100+ extra pounds over the 650. And the ride is sloppy and I can say that from experience. As far as blistering, the only thing that might get blistered beside the terrain is your 700 by a 650! >>

First of all let me say that I believe that the 650 IS NOT the granddaddy of all ATV's. It's not what you buy it's what you build, afterall. Is the 650 the &quot;best&quot; stock &quot;utility&quot; quad out there? Depends on who you ask I guess. IMHO, the 650 is no better on average than the SP700 nor the Grizz660- it's important that you notice that I said ON AVERAGE. Sure, the 650 is going to have some better qualities than the Sp700 or the Grizz BUT the reverse is equally true. Please don't read in to this that &quot;I&quot; think that the SP700 is the granddaddy either, I don't play those dilusional &quot;mine's better than yours&quot; head games. Polaris seems plagued by durability issues although I can't comment on that because this is my first experience with them.

As for your utility argument, lets first all agree that towing capacity is but a small part of what makes a utiltiy quad. However, your argument that the similar towing capacity of the two quads combined with the extra weight of the SP700 somehow makes the 650 a better &quot;utility&quot; quad is outrageous! That extra vehicle wieght actually makes the SP700 a more stable towing vehicle than the 650 when pulling the same weight. There are numerous other tasks that some owners may ask of thier utility quads. Snow plowing being one of them. All that extra weight that everyone seems to think is soooo bad actually makes the SP700 more suited to heavy work then the lighter weight 650 and 660. Look at what farmers use to plow fields and the like- big, heavy tractors. Think of snow plowing with a Jeep Wrangler and then a Ford F-450. Which do you think will push the heavy, deep stuff better? Now, granted, if you are looking for more &quot;sport&quot; than &quot;utility&quot;, you are right, the 650 (or 660) would be a better choice for you- I don't argue that one bit.

Now to the IFS/IRS argument. I have ridden solid rear axle quads before (not the 650 however) and I can say that my SP700 and my Suzuki King Quad BOTH are way more comfy on the butt on the bumpy, whooped trails. Yes, they are more, how do you say it, &quot;sloppy&quot; on the tight turns and such but that is the nature of the IFS/IRS beast. Remember too that the suspension on the SP700 can be tuned to be more or less stiff. On my SP700 at least, the rear shocks/springs are on thier softest settings. If you prefer a harder, less &quot;sloppy&quot; ride, then cranking these up a notch or two or even replacing the stock default &quot;medium&quot; srings with the optional &quot;stiff&quot; springs would help you achive that solid axle feel that you seemingly so desire. I know my King Quad felt &quot;sloppy&quot; to me too until I turned the spring adjusters up a notch.

I am not even going to touch your &quot;blister&quot; comment. It's not worth my time to try to explain to you that such a broad statement as,

<< As far as blistering, the only thing that might get blistered beside the terrain is your 700 by a 650! >>

is not only untrue but ludicrious to the Nth degree. The Kawi650 will &quot;blister&quot; the SP700 in ALL terrain under ALL circumstances? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight................ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

To close, THE BEST QUAD IS WHAT YOU LIKE THE MOST AND MOST SUITS YOUR RIDING STYLE! I hate to say it, LUVINMY650, but I think you really need to chill out and take a nice big slice of humble pie.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2001, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

When I first started reading this forum there was a lot of good information to get and I learned a lot but in the last 2 to 3 months I have heard from more Jacka$$ people than I care to . It seems that the exact same people in every post have to bash to them I say get a life!!!!!.
My quad is better than yours I am so sick of hearing that.
In some cases the 700 is better in other cases the 660 or 650 is better to each his own.
If you are to illiterate or to stupid to read what this topic was about then here it is again
Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?
Not 650 and not 660 do you get it can you read . That means don’t tell me about you 650 or 660 go to another topic don’t post it here Duh

Old 12-14-2001, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

I just love it when you cry babies get going with your bashing and calling one another names.... LET'S GET IT ON!!!!

Take a pill people and get a life. If ya can't say anything helpful, then keep your idiot fingers off the keyboard. Some one asks a simple question looking for a info on a machine and all they get is a slugfest. Jesh. Wonder what this comment will trigger?

Old 12-14-2001, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

I think that buying a Polaris product is a hit or miss gamble. While every manufacture has it's occasional lemon, it seems that the odds of a person getting one (a lemon) are a little higher when buying a Polaris product. Some people can drive the crap out of one machine and never have a thing go wrong with it. While another guy constantly has his machine in the shop because parts keep falling between the dealership door and his house.
While as far as inovation, I would have to give that award to Bombardier. While it's 4x4's are far from sporty, they are bulletproof, and have just about the best 4 wheel drive system available. Magazines have said the the Bomb. front end is to new to tell if it's realiable or not- Well since the Traxter was released in 1999 I have yet to hear of a front end failure. (besides broken cv shafts, the differential still worked-maybe too good?) While I know you are discussing 4x4's it was also Bombardier who introduced the 1st big bore sport quad with over 12&quot; travel front and rear.(DS 650)
I know bombardier has a only a small market share but i just hate to see their inovations and contributions which I think have had a huge influence over the ATV market overlooked.

Quick Reply: Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?