Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailboss 325 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a y2k blaster.It is a decent machine there are some things I love about it(quick,light,agile) and some things I hate about it(brakes,no frills).I do not want to compare the blaster to the trailboss because they are very different machines and it would be comparing apples to oranges.what I'm after is some input from trailboss owners about their machines.I know that they are a comfortable easy to ride machine my questions concern this; 1.Long term reliability.I would like to hear from guys and gals that have put some mileage on these machines what are its weak points,what have you had to fix or replace. 2.Sportiness,I realize this is a sport/utility quad but all I do is trail ride the only utility use would be pulling the occasional log from the trail and pulling the occasional stuck quad out.Also what kind of jumper is this machine.I'm not talking about 95 foot doubles but the typical trail jump 3 or 4 foot high jumping a distane of 20 to 25 feet. 3.Performance.We do ride fast my brother owns a highly modified scrambler 400 my buddies have rapters,300ex,sportsman500HO and on the tight trails I can keep up with them in most situations.I know that sraight line performane a trailboss will not set any land speed records but does it make a good account of itself.Does anyone have an accurate top speed of a stock trailboss. 4.Overall fit/finish/feel.are they well made I've beaten the blaster into oblivion and it comes back for more I've flipped it rolled it crashed it jumped it in sixth gear with the throttle pegged land front wheels first and kept on going.The one thing I don't like is your exhausted at the end of the day riding the blaster(I know my riding habits have something to do with that)

Old 12-24-2001, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

I thought of a few more questions how water proof is the belt on this machine? we ride through alot of creeks and some big mud puddles and I would hate to cut a ride short due to a slipping belt.Also how up to date is the design have Polaris updated things on the machine as the years have passed.The blaster is a thirteen year old design and all though its been a capable machine it really needs an update.

Old 12-24-2001, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

I don't own one, but ride with a few buddies that do. Hear is my two cents.

If you have a Blaster, you will be highly dissappointed in the performance of the Boss. It is way down on power/speed. Like my buddy says, "It couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt".

My one buddy had a 2000 model. He is on his third motor. The first one lasted 45 minutes. The second lasted a whopping 2 hours. They seemed to have gotten something right the third time. The 2000's had a problem with blowing the cooling hose off.

It does give a decently comfortable ride.

You would probably be better off looking for a used, more sporty bike. That's my opinion.

Old 12-24-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2001 TrailBoss, I bought it so that my girlfriend would have something to learn on and something that we could do some slow night trail riding on. For the reasons I bought it, it has been great. I haven't had a single problem with it yet. I can tell you know that you won't be jumping 20-25 feet unless you have a rocket strapped to your back! They are very slow and they weigh over 500lbs. I would guess the top speed is under 45mph so it will seem excessively slow compared to your Blaster, especially accelerating. It is a great trail machine, the ride is very cushy, and it has enough power for some pretty big hills, it just isn't fast that's all. If you accept it for what it is(a slow go trail quad) you will be happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the transmission will "free wheel" on steep down hills, Polaris does make an EBS kit for it though. If you are exhausted at the end of the day riding your Blaster you will be really exhausted at the end of the day trying to keep up with 400 scramblers and raptors, 300ex's etc.. with the Boss. I have not rolled or flipped mine, but I think it would stand up to a legitamate amount of abuse, just don't get caught under it if it rolls, because you may not with stand the mass of it. Hope I helped.

Old 12-25-2001, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

i've had my "00" tboss since they first came out. fast,its not when compared to my 99 lakota. jumper ,no, wheele machine, no. wide, yes. good for my 15 and 19 year old daughters and wife to ride, yes. trouble with it , no. this machine would probley run a lot better with a jet kit,k&n air filter, and preformance exhaust. i sold a "99" 220 bayou to get the trailboss (about the same price). tboss is a lot better for the wife and girls espesially on off chambers (sp) and shifting. after you tire yourself out on the blaster you take the tb for a nice leasiure ride and still have fun on the hills . the belts been wet once, the girls got stuck in the mud and deep water, never been wet when just riding in water 12" to 15" deep if you dont get stuck.

hope this helps merry christmas

99 lakota
ids2
k&n
jet kit
racks gone
custom lights
douglas 190's
maxis

trailboss
stock

Old 12-26-2001, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will throw in my 2 cents on the issue, but overall, the above posts have been right on. I have a 2001 TrailBoss, and after owning serveral other quads, can say without a doubt, it is definelty the slowest one I have had. However, it depends on your use I suppose. Really good in the tight stuff, not a jumper by any means, nor a wheelie machine either. Good basic ride though. Very comfortable. I have beat on my pretty good, and have had no problems at all. Sounds like with your riding style you might be better off with a Scrambler 400 or 500. Hope this helps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2001, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

I have two(hence the name). They have been extremely reliable. We mostly ride trails, a coupla times a year at Silver Lake, and at a buddies farm. They are a TRAIL quad pure and simple. Not racers, dune machines or deep mudders. That being said I've jumped mine repeatedly in the range you listed, no major damage to the quad, some wear and tear on me! Can run the big hill at Silver Lake after recent rains or if it's not tore up. It ain't pretty, but it goes up... They're good for hill climbs due to torque. Once again, not pretty. Just hold on and you'll get there!
From your description of riding habits it sounds like you'd be better of with a Scrambler or if your not brand loyal, one of the sport bikes (you determine how big/fast). The Trailboss is a good, dependable, easy riding quad. It's not gonna light a fire under your butt, but it'll get you there comfortably and at a reasonable pace.
Oh...the guy who posted about the buddy with the blown engines... the early models had poorly designed oil hoses(couldn't take high pressure). That was a big topic here a year or so ago...
Top speed on mine is right around 45 mph(clocked with GPS, flat gravel road)

Old 12-30-2001, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELL I HAVE A 2000 TRAIL BOSS WITH THE MODS LISTED BELOW..IT HAS BEEN VERY DEPENDABLE NO PROBLEMS YET.IT IS A GREAT TRAIL RIDER GOOD MUDDER GOOD AT HILLS BAD ON SPEED BAD AT JUMPING..WITH THE MODS I HAVE I CAN WHEELIE WITH LITTLE EFFORT.AND SPEED ISNT TO BAD ..RIGHT AROUND 55-57MPH..WELL HOPE I HELPED