Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Buying Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a SP500HO 2001, and it was a mervelous ATV with power, very very good suspension (you can ride up to 5 to 10 mph more than other ATV, at the same place, just because of the good suspension), good brakes, a life warrentely on the belt for 2001 and 200 models.
Now, I've trade my 500Ho for a 700TWin. WOW, 700 is the top of actuals ATV, an incredible machine. If you have the money, buy a SP700, you'll became an happy owner.

Old 12-28-2001, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well the 700 sure is one hellofa machine so far but I'm not so sure it shoulda been my first ATV purchase...don't get me wrong I love mine to death! I was used to riding my friend's eXplorer 250 so the 700 was a big jump. I've only thrown myself off twice so far and aim to keep it that way! It really all depends on you I guess. I'd say the 400 or even the 325 would be great first machines especially if you're not looking for utility. If you wnat to do some work or huntng/hauling then the 500HO seems to offer plenty of muscle, though I can't say for sure since I don't know anybody that rides one. My friend's 250 was more than enough for him for the last year and a half and he's a very good rider! After riding my 700 though he's a tad envious...

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the 700 isn't a jumper? My my...I'll have to slap mine and tell it to stop then cause she flies! Just much more dangerous than the 250 cause you really need the perfect takeoff and landing spots...the 700 is way front heavy so beware the first few flights! Also have to watch the steep takeoffs because she'll have the tendency to want to pull up in the front if you're on the throttle...had a nasty one wheel landing...and let me tell ya with that 700 it was scary stuff! There is a nice berm top that I like to jump in an area here that is perfect for my 700. My friend can't even jump as far off this one as I can...approach is pretty short and rough so I can get the speed well up over 40mph comin off it and he can't hardly break 30! He barely clears the dished out track side and I clear it by a good 5 feet. Took me quite sometime to even try it...prob never should have because it easily could have crunched me and the 700 up but good...it's one of only 2 jumps I even take. Most of the rest of my air is accidental! Down you monster, down! hehehe

All in all though I'd say the 700 isn't the best trail bike on the market, however, it sure is a powerful one and fun to ride if you enjoy accelleration that'll pull your hair back...and that's with a helmet on!

Go with your gut...just be prepared and know what you're in for is all I'm saying...

Old 12-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I would say go with the Scrambler. I love mine . I would recommend them to anyone.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2001, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

deebee,

Their is another dealer just as close if not closer. Ever been to Lineman Cycles, now known as LCR? They have Polaris and Yamaha but, what else is their?LOL

Old 12-29-2001, 06:59 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I have had excellent performance out of my 500 HO. I highly recomend this machine. The ride of the independant suspesion is really awesome.

Old 12-30-2001, 09:15 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

If you decide on a Sportsman, try to find a left over 2001. There are some real deal (year end close out) on the 2001s. There is very little difference in the 2001 vs the 2002. My dad has a 2002 and my brother and I have 2001s.

Old 12-30-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

IceWolf, The first thing you said is that you want an all around play ATV. If you want a sporty machine and it is your first machine, I wouldn't get a Sportsman. I have a group of buddies, 3 Xlorer 400's, a SP HO and a 2000 SP 500. The two 500's can't even keep up on the trail. The only thing they compare in is mudding. They can't take jumps as well as a Xplorer, not as nimble, not as fast. If you don't want to play too much on the trail or in the ditches, then a smooth riding SP will do fine. But if you really want to play, a lighter snappier Xplorer will make you happier. Although if you want to ride double (which is illegal, but people do) I recommend a SP all the way. They give a good ride and you could control it better with two people.

The only machine I don't recommend is a SP400 or a 325. Too much $$$$ for what you get. You may as well spend the extra cash, then you won't regret it.

Old 12-30-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Roofer
I have to disagree somewhat on a SP500HO not keeping up. While I have not riden with an Xplorer 400 I do ride with two 400EX's. If I can keep up with them on the Redtop/Nemadji trails I can keep up with an Xplorer. Sure their are times they have to wait for me, But I have to wait for them at times too.

If your up for a ride sometime??? You could show me the advantages of the Xplorer vs. HO about five minutes out of princton. A friend of mine has a 1.1 mile mx track just up the road. Shame his swamp is froze over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Shaggy

Old 12-30-2001, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

<< Roofer
I have to disagree somewhat on a SP500HO not keeping up. While I have not riden with an Xplorer 400 I do ride with two 400EX's. If I can keep up with them on the Redtop/Nemadji trails I can keep up with an Xplorer. Sure their are times they have to wait for me, But I have to wait for them at times too.

If your up for a ride sometime??? You could show me the advantages of the Xplorer vs. HO about five minutes out of princton. A friend of mine has a 1.1 mile mx track just up the road. Shame his swamp is froze over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Shaggy
>>

Cool Shaggy.
I suppose some riders are better than others, thus proving my point wrong. I have riden with some 500's and HO's that keep up plenty good. I am just saying for a first time rider a lighter machine would be more fun. I have always riden a 2 stroke Polaris in the few quads I have owned, and that is what I am used to and being they are lighter helps me out too. For my size and weight a 750 lb. plus machine doesn't work the greatest. I was considering a Sportsman when I bought my Xplorer, but when I can save over $1000 and have a faster peppier ride, how could a guy go wrong. I've seen plenty of people(some on this board), that traded in their SP's and got Xplorers because they are cheaper and funner to ride. Like I said, for an all around &quot;play&quot; atv, I recommend an Xplorer. I am up to a ride anytime if anyone is close. Where are you from? Are you close to Princeton? I just moved here, and it's hard finding places to ride. I'm not a guy for MX racing, but we can't get too choosy now can we. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

oops
I didn't have the hometown listed. Its there now.

Quick Reply: Buying Polaris