Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Last thing im going to fix and then im selling it

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Number 1, it still leaks antifreeze out of the weep hole. Aparantly there is a weep hole seal that covers the tiny hole and mine is not in there. My local dealership (that sucks) told me that they could fix it no problem, could do it in 30 minutes, wouldnt cost me over 50 bucks for parts and labor. Now they are telling me that it could take upwards of three hours (at 65 an hour, yes outrages isnt it) and they might not even be able to find a part to match. Well After that i hear them start a fourwheeler up and take it off screemin into the woods with no warm up time. I always knew they road them rough but i had no idea it was that bad. So anyway after that was all said and done i loaded it back on to the trailer and drove home. There is no way i am going to pay them 200 bucks to fix my machine and then run the hel l out of it.

So I am asking a few questions here, have any of you fixed the seal in your weep hole, if so, how, and whats the part name for it.

And second, I think it might have been like this when i bought it (only 3 or 4 weeks ago) and on the bill of sales it specifically states "sold as is, no warrantee" so I am thinking I cannot get that guy to fix it (or pay for it) correct?

And lastly, if I knowingly sell it (without fixing it) with a defect on it and I put the little "sold as is, no warrantee" could they come back and get me in any way?

Thanks Guys

Derek

Old 01-07-2002, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

HOwdie,

If your talking about coolant spewing from the little hole on the top of the overflow bottle, I had this happen once. I was confused about torque specs when tightening the head on my 400 after a rebuild. I ended up blowing the head gasket from not tightening the head down enough and this cause coolant to spew from the red cap 4' into the air.

My guess is a head gasket........

EC

Old 01-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thnk he is refering to the weep hole on the water pump.

If you bought it "as is, no warranty" then no you cant make the seller pay for it. And if you do sell it to somebody uner the same conditions the the only thing you have to worry about is your consience. If you won't loose any sleep over it then off it.
hope this helps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

It is coming out of the weep hole on the waterpump. I think i bought a lemon, dont have a problem selling it to someone else. Just as long as its not one of my buds. Thanks though. I will fix it if someone could give me the instructions, i just am not about to go drop a few hundred on it.

Thanks

Derek

Old 01-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Don't give up too fast. The water pump is quiet a simple piece. I don't have the parts manual for the 2 stroke but on the 500 it just has the impeller with a self locking nut holding it on with a gasket on the top and the seal under it. It can't be that difficult to fix. Do you have a friend or someplace you can see a chilton or Polaris workshop manual.

good luck, gardner10

Old 01-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

I am still not even sure I know what is wrong with your quad. You've mentioned about everything(head gasket,water pump,over flow bottle,...). You say you want to get rid of it. If that is truely what you want to do then I suggest doing it. That quad will probably make someone a good wheeler someday. Just because it is having a problem doesn't mean that it is junk but, whatever.

So, do you know what your dealer was doing with this quad you seen them take off into the woods while it was cold? Do you know for sure that this quad was cold? When a machine sits in our shop it is usually not hardly cold at all. Secondly, why do you need to warm a quad up anyway? I can understand letting it warm up enough that it will atleast stay idleing and take throttle. I see no reason to let one idle more than that. Do you know that it was a customers quad or maybe a used quad they own? I would also like to add that I have done some fine tuning on customers machines and I had to run the machine like it was going to ridden to make sure it was good enough to give back to the customer. I always tell the customer that I will do this and they are usually very happy to know that I definately made sure it was fixed and tuned for many hours of use. I have a very good relationship with my customers and I can count on one hand how many "unsatisfied" customers I've had.

Besides how would you feel if you took your quad in to your dealer. They in turn have to find, investigate and repair a problem without riding the machine like you do. They are "pretty sure" they know what it is. They do a $200 repair. They can't go ride it like you do so they start it up. It doesn't seem to have any more problems. You come get it and pay the bill. You then take it home and go riding. Ten minutes into your ride, the same problem happens or maybe even a different one related to the problem you had origanally. Now you are ticked off that they didn't fix your machine right the first time. I'm not saying I go on a twenty minute ride on every quad that comes to my shop for repairs but, If I have to go ride it to make sure that it was properly fixed, then I will. So far, I've only had one come back. I take pride in knowing whatever comes into my shop is fixed right the first time. Like I said, my customers always know when I've riden their quad because I tell them so. I also tell them it is fixed and they are happy they don't have to come back for the same or related problem again.

I don't know for sure what your dealer was doing with this quad but I don't think you do either. Don't be so quick to think that they were doing something bad. One thing that doesn't make sence thou, is that they might not be able to find a part that matches. I can get any factory part. It sometimes is on back order but I will get it.

Someone needs to find out what is wrong with your machine. If you can do it then do it. Then if you can fix it then fix it. If you can't, then find someone else to do it. I hope they fix it right the first time, ecspecially since you won't let them ride it. Or you can sell it now, it won't be your problem then. They in turn will fix it and maybe never have another thing wrong with it, or maybe they will. Regardless, figure out what your going to do and do it.

If I was your dealer, I wouldn't bull$hit you about not being able to match a factory part. I would most likely fix it right the first time but, I may end up taking it for a quick ride to make sure. SHAME ON ME!!! Just don't be so quick to think your dealer is doing something wrong, he could be doing all he can to make sure he's doing it right.

Old 01-07-2002, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Just sounds like the water pump seal. I am not sure about the 2 stroke but on the SP500, the seal is $27 and the puller to do the work is $70. It is chaper to buy the tool than to pay someone to do it, and then you will have the puller to help your friends or yourself in the future, or sell the puller and get most of your money back. I keep a puller in my tool box, and I have helped several people. That alone is worth the $70.

Greg

Old 01-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well, after writing that huge post I see you have figured out what is the problem. Like someone else already said, the water pump is no big deal. Fix it. It is not a lemon because you didn't buy it new. you can't hold the machine responsible for any neglect or mis use the first owner may have done.

Chances are, you will have a couple of things to fix after buying a used machine. This is normal and should be expected. Once your done with some repairs it probably will be a good machine. I had a pyle of things to fix when I first got mine but it is now a very reliable machine.

If you need any help, I'd be glad to help.

P.S. Sorry for the long post, I guess I was venting.

Old 01-07-2002, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well kiss my grits. I was thinking it was like on my sons 250r. I went to the parts manuals on the Polaris web site and it looks a whole lot more complicated.

.......Sorry, Gardner10

Old 01-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

The reason i have posted so many of the problems (like head gasket ect) was that i was in florida and had a friend inspect and tell me what all was wrong. He was wrong. The things i have had to fix was one of the headlights went out like the second i got it home. Then my winch stopped working, then it started leaking anti-freeze real bad, and i think that there was another thing but i cant even remember right now.

I heard them start up the trailblazer and then i walked out the store door to go pull my machine in and then their garage door came up and off he went. Even if it was 75 degrees outside i would always give my machines atleast a few minutes to warm up, regardless of anything.

I bought the machine fairly cheap and still feel like i could make some money. I would rather pull out now and pocket 300 and not have to worry about anything. I hear all these horror stories and i think bill has gotten to me. Especially since he told me his machine was not that great except that the engine was flawless. Well last week his engine blew up. It just seems like you either have a good wheeler or a bad one and I dont want to stick around long enough to find out it is a bad one. Thanks alot for your help though. I do have the manual, but it doesnt go into any great detail about the weep hole seal. Should there be something else i should be searching for. I dont understand the diagrams in there manual.

Thanks

Derek

Quick Reply: Last thing im going to fix and then im selling it