Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cooling fan not working on SP500

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the possible causes of the cooling fan not to come on. I know there is not a stick or twigg blocking it. Went riding today and after about 15 mins coolant started blowing out of the overflow tank cap. Got home and refilled the tank and checked level in radiator and ran again. After about 5 mins of about 1/4 throttle, she blew again. The fan usually kicks in but i did not notice it run while i was riding.Is this another trip to the dealer who i have seen to many times lately. Any advice would be welcomed.

Old 02-09-2002, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

As for your fan not coming on, it doesn’t run constantly it kicks on at a certain temperature then kicks back off. Be sure that the coolant level is full and purge any air from the system. Check the fan switch; make sure harness is connected. You can disconnect the harness, attach a jumper wire to the switch, turn on ignition and see if fan works. If the fan works and the coolant level is full, chances are it’s the fan control switch. Also check to be sure the fan isn't just slipping on the shaft. Hopes this help ya!

Old 02-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Range Rover

Does this sound familiar?
You do a lot of trail, some mud, creek crossings and the deep soupy mud ever once in a while. I also had the saame exact problem. It starts with the fan getting louder and louder until it gets quite almost like its not even running. Try this: with the temp switch bypassed or the machine hot reach over the right front wheel and hit the back of the fan motor it will probably come and run until tthe engine cools off once the engine gets hot again you will have to hit it again. This scernario worked to get me back to the truck once. Anyway I replaced mine then took the old one apart for future refrence, suprise suprise it had water and gunk (pieces of the brushes that had been eaten away)in it. Good Luck!!!!1

Kuntry
00 SP 500
ETC.........

Old 02-10-2002, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

Check the ignition key! It must be in the middle....or the fan won't work.
Joe

Old 02-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

There is a thermalcouple installed on the radiator that may be bad, put a jumprer there to bypass it. if the fan dont come on when you turn on yhe ignition then take the fan out and take it apart and rebuilb it . This happened to me and it was corroded all i did was clean it up and put it back together it worked and is still working. if the thermalcouple is bad then replace it. hope this helps

Old 02-11-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

If you have the newest style of fan, and yours is bad, don't pay Polaris for a new one. The newer ones are made by Spal, and I have the exact replacement for around $80. Let me know if you want the number.

Waylan

Old 02-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you have the fan motor #? Website?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

If you need a new fan sensor let me know I'll give you a good deal. We were having some problems with my brothers SP500HO and replaced it, didn't solve the overheating problem, finally traced the problem to the impeller turning on the water pump shaft. Aczr2k

Old 02-12-2002, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

I recently had the same problem with my Scrambler. Does your temp. light come on? After jumping the fan motor, using the wires that come off the radiator fan switch, located on the top back side of the radiator. If the fan turns on, take out that switch, re-connect the wires, turn on your key, and using a torch, heat up the end that goes in your radiator. If the fan turns on, then it has nothing to do with your fan system. This is the problem that I had. What happened to me is that I lost the head gasket, and the exhaust was pushing too much preasure into the cooling jacket around the cylinder, which in turn triped the 10lb radiator cap causing coolant to spurt out the overflow cap. My motor never over-heated. Good luck, and if you have any more questions, please let me know.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

To all:

The fan part# is 30100515 (this is the fan # that Polaris changed to sometime in 2000, and is still currently using).
Keith (contact at offroadwarehouse)
800-341-7757 8-5 m-f PST (his phone and hours)
www.offroadwarehouse.com (this is the website, but doesn't list the above fan part#) It took quite a bit of searching to locate the fan part #, and he has to order it from Spal). I think the fan is around $80. Two different Polaris dealerships quoted from $150 to $230 (without tax) on the exact same fan. It comes with fan blade and all.

Hope this helps.

Waylan

Quick Reply: cooling fan not working on SP500