Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sport against a shee or a DS or a raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im thinkin of purchasing a 98 sport 400. I'm curious as to how will this keep up with my buddies Banshee a DS and a raptor, all stock and so is the sport. will I have a chance on the trails??
my buddie with the DS had a brand new scrambler 400 4x4 in april and sold it. from what i remember that thing was fast as hell.
how fast would u guys say the sport will top out?
when I get it I wanna get a pipe and stuff for it. I seen AZ400L
sport on here that was really trick. it looked like it had a FMF pipe or something on it. does that make a big difference?
I know it makes a huge difference on a shee that is piped.
thanks in advance

Old 02-20-2002, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure about the DS or Raptor, but I can tell you about the Banshee cause I own both.

The Sport will jump the Banshee off the line, but the Banshee will catch up after 100yds or so. If you race on gravel or a loose surface the Sport will have even more of an advantage, but again, the Banshee WILL catch up.

Now, I can tell you that the Sports only advantage in a drag race is off the line. If you take off from a rolling start at about 20mph, the Banshee will win the whole way.

I have a few mods on my Sport and it deffinatly helps in the short distance drags, but the top end of the Banshee is still better.

On a high speed or moderate trail with no obsticles the Polaris is at a disatvange, and because of it's weight it will probably slow you down in the tight stuff, but it's not as far off as you might think. Go on a trail that has a lot of obstacles that you have to go over slow and in my opinion the Polaris has an advantage over the Banshee. However, who races in those kinds of situations?

Top Speed of the Sport is between 60-65 stock depending on a lot of things like how it runs, surface you are on, elevation, all that crap. Personally mine was at about 64 stock on Pavement. The mods I have may have added 3 or 4 mph, but a Banshee (with a top speed of about 72-74 still flies by it at WOT).

Now that I have said that the Banshee wins in about every racing category, I want to point on other thing out. In my opinion, the Sport is a much better trail quad. It is unbelievable what these things can go through (or over). The auto trans really helps out on the slow going trail, and if that was the only riding that I did I'd probably pick it over the Banshee if I could only have 1 quad. Don't get me wrong, the Banshee does good on the trail, and it impresses a lot of people who think that they are worthless, but in my eyes the Polaris is better.

I ride mainly with a guy on a 2001 Banshee, a guy on a Warrior, and a guy on a 300ex. They all agree that the Polaris is the "King of the Trails" in our group. It is also the second fastest (behind my buddies Banshee). Like I said though, the weight of it really hurts it on the high speed trails with tight corners.

I also have ridden with a couple friends that own a new Kodiak and a new Magnum 4x4 and they were really impressed with the Polaris. Believe it or not, but I did not get stuck at all in the ride that we went on, and they each got stuck 2 or 3 times on the same trail (mainly because they hit the obstacles slower and relied on the 4x4 to get them out).

Anyway, it's all in what you want. I have had no problems with my Sport and I have no problem recommending to to anybody else searching for a quad.

Too bad you live in Minn. cause mine is for sale for $2300.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 02-20-2002, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Piranha,

Dang, that was a very good review! I don't have much to add to it except that you can change the gearing on the Polaris Sport to run with the Banshee on top end. Once you get all of the mods done (pipe, clutch kit, carb, airbox mods, porting, Wiseco piston, and head mods) try slipping a 30 tooth rear sprocket from a Sportsman 6x6 on the rear axle in place of the standard 34 tooth rear. This will add the extra speed you need to take the Banshee on top. It will also help with all of the excess wheelspin from the modded motor.

Polaris 336,

STAY AWAY FROM PIPES THAT DON'T COME WITH CLUTCH KITS. No matter how good they make the pipe sound, if it doesn't have a clutch kit, it isn't worth the money.

Old 02-21-2002, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider

Pretty fair review guys, Your wallet is pretty much the limit when it comes to speed, My brother rides a fairly modded Banshee and Pirahna's descriptions of the drags is spot on, In the woods I feel the Sport/Scrambler is the only bike to have, If you ran In wide open areas or sand a Banshee or Ds would be the ticket, But as far as all around peformance you will probably wonder why you waited so long to get a 400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2002, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

Todd 400,

The old saying, "Speed is a question of money. How fast can you afford to go?" really applies here. Although the Sport is no slouch, it just won't keep up with all of the new high performance machines out there. On the plus side, the Sport is both cheaper to buy and much cheaper to modify than all the other machines.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

My 400SS is for sale. You can check it out on our website listed below. It will hold it's own with the big dogs.

Old 02-22-2002, 05:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Attention sports fans....the commercial light is now flashing...sorry. The 400 modded to HPD race mod specs can handle all the above including a DS on NOS. Watch the highly modded 'Shees in a dragc (sorry if that was already addressed) Money=speed.

Ken

Old 02-22-2002, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

If "Speed is a question of money. How fast can you afford to go?" the rednecks where I ride must not have any money. I have yet to have a Polaris out run me, even when I was stock. The only thing they did was get the holeshot when I was stock. Now days everyone around here with a Polaris usually avoids me when I'm riding.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

ProEMTPFF,

Well, I could say the same thing about Bombardier quads up here. Most people are running their machines stock. I guess that they have spent all of their money on the quad itself.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

The DS is'nt cheap, thats for damn sure.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: sport against a shee or a DS or a raptor???