Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WOLF PEN GAP!!!!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The results are back on the enviromental assessment. They are going to meet earlly next week to discuss the fate of the trail system. Alan Newman is the decision maker. He is the supervisor out of Hot Springs, AR. I need help letting him know how important it is to the ATV community that the trails are reopened. Please e-mail him with you request. Just ask him to do what he can to get it reopened soon.

His e-mail is anewman@fs.fed.us

Thanks,

Greg

Old 03-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I emailed him, Greg. We really need to do everything we can to try and keep our areas open.

Waylan

Old 03-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks walexa... here is more info if someone wants to call instead of e-mail. If you live within a few hours of Mena, AR, and heve never been to Wolf Pen, you are missing out. It is/ws awesome.

Alan G. Newman
Forest Supervisor
Ouachita National Forest
Arkansas/Oklahoma
Phone 501-321-5202
Fax 501-321-5334

Old 03-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

I am glad the finally have got all results back. Talked to a lady in Mena and all they were waiting on was a water quality report.She said everything was looking good and it should open. This info came from a forrest Ranger. Nothing like riding to Blue Lake early in the morning. Need to go to Gilmer if you havn't tried it yet. E-mail on his doorstep now.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks snoopy... you ought to ride with us sometimes. We ride some awesome trails south of Wolf Pen, and they are moderately difficult. We also ride over at Lake Greeson and Broken Bow. A big bunch of us are going to broken Bow March 8-10 to ride. You are welcome to join us.

Old 03-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys,
I am not sure who all sent an e-mail in favor of opening the trails, but we need all the support we can get. Even if you do not live near these trails, I need your help. The enviromentalist stick together. We need to do the same. If you sent an e-mail, let me know.
Thanks,
Greg

Old 03-05-2002, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

I would really like to go to OK but I am not off that weekend. Me and the wife rode there once but we rode on the west side and it sounds like the best is in the East side of the road. Keep me posted cause I need to use some vacation up sometime.Ww ride south of wolf pen also. Are you talking about the trails where you go by Buckeye Retreat then past the house that looks as if Deliverance was filmed there. Really good trails all around. How does it compare to OK.

Ronnie

Old 03-05-2002, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, we go past Buckeye and then past the pig farm. (Those folks will shoot at you after dark according to the people at Buckeye) We came through there last time at about 10PM... I remember pigs squealing and banjos playing... lol

The east side of the road is better at Broken Bow. There are some extreme hills on the highline off Carson Creek Road. It is comparable to Arkansas. E-mail me so I can have you contact info and I will inform you of our next ride. We go every 3 weeks or so.

Have you tried lake greeson? It is good also.

Greg (gregsims01@excite.com)

Old 03-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, I have never been around Mena, we used to go to Clarksville and go North from there. There are alot of guys that I ride with that have been to Mena though, are you saying that they might shut some trails down? I have read where you go to Broken Bow....have you come up north any to Kinta, Wilburton or Red Oak?

Old 03-05-2002, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Wolf Pen was closed a year ago. The story we were given was it was just closed due to the ice storm damage. After we rode every trail around wolf pen, we called back and told them we knew the trails were bascially clear. Then, they told us that it was closed for water quality reasons and it would reopen Jan 2002, It is still closed. They are making the decision to leave it closed or open it back up.

I have never ridden at the places you mentioned. What are the trails like, and how far are they from Broken Bow?

Quick Reply: WOLF PEN GAP!!!!!! HELP!!!