Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 H.O. how do you like it

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 500 H.O. is that agood machine or not? Ive heard alot of mixed story's about it. I'd appreaciate your input. thanks!

Old 03-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

IMHO,
YES it is.

Old 03-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Range Rover

Have had my HO since Dec 12 2000 with 1400 miles on it now. I have replaced brake pads, speed sensor, waterpump seals, front wheel-hub seals,cooling fan and tie-rod ends.Also has lots or rattling sounds coming from engine area(have been told the rattling sounds are coming from oil & water pump).I like the smooth ride but can't handle the numerous small mechanical problems.Looking to buy something else next spring.

Old 03-10-2002, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

I am on my second sportsman last one was a 2000, 335 sportsman had numerous minor problems brakes,steering bushing,speedo cable and a rear clutch assembly in 800 miles.
The new one is a 500 ho bought it in December 2002 and have almost 300 miles on it only problem so far was hub was leaking oil from bad o ring which I replaced myself. The new 2002 polaris sportsman have had improvements to fix those problems people have had: brakes,steering bearings,water pump etc. I guess only time will tell if the improvements they made have made them any better. The biggest problem I have had is finding a dealer who will fix them in a reasonably amount of time (a couple days) I have gone through three dealers and finally found one 21 miles away who has good service.The main thing about these machines are they have about 24 grease fittings and if you grease them almost every time you ride it seems to help. Hope this helps you out.Would I buy another only time will tell. I ride mostly Poker runs and at my private club which has lots of rocks and the ride is great.

Old 03-10-2002, 07:29 PM
vg
Trailblazer

Like the others on here, only time will tell. I do like the ride and power. Just recently had a bad experience with having to pay to replace a needle & seat with only 55 hours and under 300 miles on it. I contacted Polaris Industries regarding this as a defect issue where a bad part slipped through the cracks, but they've chosen to not back down on their statement that it must have been dirt in the gasoline. Funny how they could not explain to me why that same gas works fine in all my other small engines......chain saws, garden tractor, weed trimmer.

As it is right now, depending upon how often I have problems again, will determine if I keep the machine. If I were to base my decision upon how Polaris Industries reacts to quality issues, the machine would be gone.

VG

Old 03-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my 500 HO, but having second thoughts on the clutch kit. Other than that, have had no problems. I put it through some nasty stuff, so I am kinds waiting to see what goes first.

Old 03-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

vg,

I don't want to p*ss you off, but that does sound like a problem that could come from old gas or dirt in the gas. I don't know about you, but when I ride, my quad gets dirty. And when I have to refill my tank while riding, the area around the gas tank isn't exactly clean, and occationally dirt does get into my gas tank.

Just a thought, I don't mean to get you mad.

Old 03-11-2002, 09:09 AM
vg
Trailblazer

OffRder15,

You make a good point. Anything is possible. It could also be a defective needle and seat straight from the factory. Maybe it wasn't a defective needle and seat and that it only needed to be re-adjusted. In any case, the dealer replaced it and never said it was due to dirt. I take special care to assure dirt is not around the gas tank before removing the cap, but if your talking about micro-scopic dirt, yes, anything is possible. The problem I have with who I was communicating with from Polaris Industries is that they will not even consider a defect from them as even possible, as if all parts made are 100% defect free and every machine they ship has a needle and seat that is 100% properly adjusted. I know better, after working in the automotive industry as a quality engineer for many years. I saw a lot of defects, even with such high rigid quality controls.

VG

Old 03-11-2002, 09:33 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

We have 4. A 2000, two 2001s and a 2002. They have been great machines and they are the most capable (best mudders) inn the group we ride with. There are suzuki 500s, a Kawasaki 650 (fgaster but not as good off-road), two older Grizzlys, a few Honda Foremans and other non-independant rear suspension Polaris machines. The independant supension really makes the difference by having far superior GROUND CLEARACE. The ride is also mush smoother with independant rear suspension. The 2001s and the 2002 are better machines then the 2000. Polaris upgraded the Sportsman in 2001 with many inprovements.

I highly recomend the machine but I happen to have had good luck while other in the forum speak of bad luck. The best hting to do is ride every machine before you purchase.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Well I was shopping for a new atv a few months ago, my last one was a kodiak ultra, I really wanted true 4x4 , I looked at the new praire and drove one , really nice but where I drive it is pretty rough so I wanted irs, and it came down to the 660 or 500ho, well i liked the sp500ho better, just my opinion, I didn`t listen to people about polaris problems etc... where I live it is all hondas, i am one of the few polaris owners, I am 100% totally satified with my purchase, I bought the extended warranty for a piece of mine, I based my decision on my personall needs and likes and was not influenced by my friends, just take one for a drive and you`ll see what the rave is about, the ride is incredible and the 4x4 is second to NONE. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 500 H.O. how do you like it