Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 or Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is the better quad for trail riding and mud bogging? How much faster is the Scrambler than the Wolverine? Has there been any reliability problems with the Scrambler? Is the Yamaha Kodiak really as sport machine in disguise... disk brakes, liquid cooled, etc...?

Old 02-22-2000, 08:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The scrambler is definately the more sporty of the two. The wolverine, although with somewhat sport like specs looks far to much like a utility quad with the racks front and rear. The polaris doesnt have racks unless you order it special with them, the scrambler is a wide margin faster when stock, with better suspension. The 4wd on the polaris is also real 4wd and it has the ability to use only 2wd at the flick of a switch. The wolverine is 3wd all the time.

Old 02-22-2000, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

my friend has a scrambler 500........he got stuck in the mud alot!!!the belt started slippin and then it started smoking.......guess what we pulled him out with......a yamaha breeze!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Once during one of our infrequent snow storms
i was run off the rd. never could get that Toyota over that bank of snow the snow plow made. I was pulled out by Two Meritta Bread trucks, to this day i only eat there bread,moral of story better to be pulled out by a breeze than to still be stuck. As for which Quad to buy go with your gut instinct as they are both good machines.

Old 02-26-2000, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

although i'am very pleased with my polaris 400 2 stroke i will have to say the wolverine is a powerful machine. My brother has a 99 wolverine with 26" vampires, k&n air filter, a supertrap pipe and has had the carb jetted. It will go anywhere and outrun banshees and warriors. It is an awesome machine.

Old 02-27-2000, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

Well I've never riden a scramler, but I own a wolverine, and I couldn't imagine being happier with a bike. Mine is a '96 Wolv, K&N Filter, Megamaxx II pipe, Dynojet kit, and 25" Bear claws.
Most of the polarisis I've seen, have been broken down on the side of the trail. I'm not being insulting, but it's true. I've had a number of friends get rid of them because they're such high maintainence. The Wolverine is fast, light, and sporty. It's also got over 7.1" of suspension travel, and when you consider that the bike is only about 470lbs, that ain't bad. I also like that it's so simple. When you get into stuff like electric lockers for 4X4, you just have more stuff to break. There isn't too much on my wolv that I can't fix myself. The good part is, I don't usually have much to fix. It's a really reliable bike.

Old 02-27-2000, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Did you say a banshee was outrun by a wolverine?? umm did he have it started?? or was his tire just flat?? or were you just smoking to much goofy grass?? ok dats what i thought!!

Old 02-28-2000, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

I was considering a Wolverine before I bought my Scrambler. After comparing them closely, its no contest. A Scrambler is way faster, has more suspension travel, "true" 4-wheel drive and the ability to switch between 2wd and 4wd.

Old 02-28-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I own a 97 Scrambler that is not the HO model.. and have never came across a Wolverine that I couldn't humiliate... I was taking it easy on a ride one night.. and this guy on a Wolverine kept talking smack about how his Wolverine would blow my Polaris away... I ignored him as long as I could.. When we got to this long sandy beach close to the river.. everybody stopped to talk/drink/smoke.. He KEPT talkin noise.. The girl on the back of mine told me to race him so he'd shut the H@ll up!! His had a bigbore kit and I could hear and see the FMF pipe...
We raced several times.. every time I gave HIM the go.. I trashed his a$$ every freakin time..
He got so pissed that he took off and left back to his truck....
Buncha Retards..
Anyway... All this being said, I know the Scrambler can outrun the Wolverine.. Granted, the Wolverine IS a good machine.. the Scrambler is faster..
Racks are cheap to buy, the 4WD/AWD is superior.. Mods seem about the same price for either.. although most factory parts are less expensive for Polaris... (trust me on that one.. I buy for Yamaha, Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki...ALL of them.. Polaris is usually cheaper..)
If Yamaha would up the cc's of the Wolverine to a minimum of...400.. (i'd like to see the 600cc Grizzly engine in it) It would hold its own against the Scrambler series.. Has Yamaha started putting a back up start on the Wolverine yet?.. I know it has electric start.. but last one I looked at didn't have the back up pull cord.. Not good if you are all alone on the deer lease and the battery goes dead...
Polaris really has the Sport 4X4 market cornered. One addition I would look into on the Scrambler is either the factory fender extensions, or a complete slicker suit and helmet complete with tear aways.. Those front tires WILL throw some mud...

Old 02-28-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Being completely object (even though I own a Polaris SP 500), there are pros and cons of both bikes. The Scrambler will definitely offer more performance and better ride. It will go more places since it has a far superior 4wd system. However, it will entail more maintenance due to the chain drive and belt transmission. The brakes will most likely wear more quickly as well. The 2 worst things the Wolverine has going for it are the air filter setup and the crappy limited slip 4wd system. Every time you get stuck with 3 wheels spinning instead of 4, you will regret getting it. Based on what I know, I would go with the Polaris, especially if you're into routine maintenance. If not, then go with the poorer performing Wolverine.

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 or Wolverine