Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

atv magazine results

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in september what was the results for the honda 450s and the expedtion 425 which one had more power and speed and which one made it in the mud better. this was september edtion of 4 wheel atv action who one the shoot out

Old 02-22-2000, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

If I remember correctly, the Honda took the timed drag race. I don't think they listed a top speed for either. As for mud, neither had an advantage. Although I don't believe they really tested mud capabilites. I think they just rode trails with a few creek beds.
The Honda won the shootout. The reasons were: 1. Xpedition stalled while running through water. 2. Fit & Finish.

I would have to agree with both of those observations.
I let a friends son ride my Xpedition and when he hit a water hole at 25 or 30 mph it did stall.
The side panels and hood weren't the best fit from the factory, but with a little heat I was able to correct that.

OK, now I've answered that. Let me tell you what I think.
I think those shootouts are good reading when its too cold or wet to be out riding. I've come to the realization that the only good thing to come from those articles are listing specs, and creature comforts. I don't believe the guys riding these machines reflect the majority of the population riding. Especially when it comes to Utility or the new coined Sport Utility. I find it hard to accept a guy wearing a chest protector to give me an accurate depiction of my Xpedition. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep reading. Only to get through the "Hubba Bubba" and find something usefull.

I pass the talking stick
Brian

Old 02-22-2000, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Ya the secret to get through a deep water/mud hole is to start out slow. 35 mph through a water hole.
Are those people perfessionals or nit wits? Also remember for many of those shoot outs. Who ever is
sponsoring them usually wins. That has been figured out in this forum already.
rangerchet polaris expedition 425 cc 5 speed.

ps: the next time they want a shoot out with my polaris brand, let me or one of you other expedition 425 cc owners do the riding. There may be a different result.

Old 02-22-2000, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder who was riding and where when the test of the 425 came out. I dont have that mag in front of me, but I distinctly remember them saying "we pounded the machine hard ans nothing rattled or fell off. We drove through pretty deep water and couldnt make the engine cough(or the tranny slip!)" Maybe that test rider was a littyle more conservative, or was it that since it was a test, one machine only, that Polaris was the sponsor. Either way, I love my Xped and I wouldnt trade it for anything else at this time.