Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4 Wheel Honda Lovers Action does it again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2000, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the newest edition of 4Wheel Honda Lover's Action does it again! I refer to the April fool (you have to be one, if you believe their tests) edition. If you missed it, last month I predicted that the Honda 300EX would trounce it's competion this month, the Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4. Never one to let me down, 4WHLA came through with flying colors. I predicted that the Scrambler 2x4 would be quicker, and have faster lap times than the 300EX. According to them, I was correct in both cases. It also said that the Honda got better traction than the Scrambler, no kidding it barely has enough power to spin the tires in mud. I would really like to get a response from them, claiming that they are being totally unbaised on this article, so I can laugh in their faces.

In the one other test that did feature a Polaris, the Polaris did win, but only because their beloved Honda hadn't come out with their precious Rubicon yet. I can guarentee that when it comes out, you can forget about all the other brands and models made. The Rubicon will beat everything in sight (remember, you heard it here first!). It will be the "end-all-be all" of the Sport utility marketplace. None may compare themselves to it's majesty, the mighty Honda Rubicon. The Rubicon will walk on water, heal the sick, feed the masses with loaves and fishes, slice, dice, chop and even make Julian fries. Yes it really, really works!

What a load of crap! I really don't know why I keep a subscription to this COMPLETELY BIASED FISH WRAP!

Old 03-02-2000, 02:32 AM
Range Rover

Mike, think about it. Who really cares?(Not trying to sound like I'm flaming you!!) We all know that the Scramblers can whip the 300EX, so just let people buy them and we will have more races to easily win! We also know that 4WHLA loves their Honda's and what we say, or the tests say, only Honda's will ever win. The only time the "Other" quad will win is if they need a token loss for Honda. I went on a ride with a bunch of other guys about a year and a half ago. One of my friends had a 300EX and he wouldn't drag race my 500 Scrambler, because he knew that it was faster. The only thing that a 300EX has on a Scrambler is... uh, I can't think of anything! Maybe they are better at jumping and reliability (I haven't had any probs with either of my Polaris') but that is about it. Don't let it get ya down, we know which one is better! They say so in the their magazines, they just go the other way when it comes time to pick the winner. I don't like to bash other people's quads, because they are all good, but if you are doing a comparo of 2 SPORT quads and one whips the other in performance and you declare the SLOWER one the winner, you must be hitting the goofy grass!

Old 03-02-2000, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

Roger,

I know that I do go overboard, but sometime I have to blow off some steam. I still can't wait to squash some 400EXs this summer.

I do agree that the mags must be on something to pick the winner like that. One too many blunts to the head is my guess. Or maybe breathing all of that smog has made them a little light headed. The problem with the fish wrap mags is that if you print something often enough, people will start believing it.

I do think I have it figured out though. It's just like the union we have at work, AFSCME. They tell you who to vote for, and you vote for his opponent, that way you've made the right choice. Only here, you buy the quad that lost. I see now!

Old 03-02-2000, 05:02 AM
Pro Rider

Mike, I just knew you'd have a post regarding this shootout. Did you ever ride a Honda 300EX? Riding WITH one is not even close to the same as riding ON one. By looking at what you ride, I easily see why you are upset at the results of the shootout: you can't bare to see a machine you own get beaten, and you are biased toward Polaris. If Polaris would do what people want them to do to their sport machine, it would easily win the shootout. I don't understand why Polaris will listen to it's customers and change things on their utility quads, but won't do anything to their "sport" quads. They do a few improvements here and there, but nothing substantial. For one thing, the Scrambler 2x4 weighs 485 pounds wet. The 300EX weighs in at 374 lbs. That is over a 100 pound difference! With that kind of weight, the Scrambler could be classified as a utility quad! Lose the automatic, floorboards, single lever brakes, and strut front suspension, and they will have something. Until then, I can certainly see why the Honda with it's superior suspension, decent power, lower price, better quality, and "true" sport quad characteristics, was chosen the winner.

Old 03-02-2000, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Why does everybody always have to point out the auto tranny and say it doesn't belong on a sport quad? Is my Mustang GT 4.6L not a sports car because I have an auto in it?

Granted from the factory the Polaris CVT is crap, but when tuned properly there are very few people who can get a holeshot on me. The CVT can and does handle large amounts of HP, duhh there in 110HP sleds. These guys drag on snow, ice and grass with ET's that will make you wet your pants, using an auto. The same can be done with an ATV.

We've gone through this before, a "properly tuned" CVT can have as little as 15% loss of power from the crank to the wheels. Meaning my 65HP Sport could be putting close to 56HP to the wheels, with the right clutch combination.

Theres where the problem lies. CVT clutch tuning is a science, and in pain in the ****! Most people don't want to mess with it.

Old 03-02-2000, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Mike take a closer look at the Rubicon it does not even try to pretend it's a sport utiliy bike it's full utiliy with short suspension and drum brakes .Honda should of just called it a 500 Fourman.

Old 03-02-2000, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Rubicon will NEVER be able to hold its own with a Sportsman 500 or Magnum 500... There just isn't enough "SPORT" in a Honda utility engine...
I have previously owned and again currently own a Honda 300 EX with DG pipe, K&N, and Dynojet..
My personaly opinion is that the Honda is lighter..(DUH!!) It has its place... I can rip up the driveway and **** off the neighbors with the loud pipe.. I can ride wheelies thru 3rd gear.(not because of POWER.. its clutching right and teasing the throttle to keep the front end balanced..) It LOOKS like its fast because if the all Black Maier Plastic with Red Seat and Red Handguards..
Its easy to correct when you screw up in mid-air too... and if you take on a hill and the front end comes up.. no problem.. just "K" it around and head back down the hill..
All this comes with a price.. the thing doesn't have ground clearance to cross an ant hill.. the frame is TOO small... I feel like I'm on a kids quad when I get on it..it has NO rough terrain abilities.. It does NOT respond well to trying to push down trees... Or diving head first into mudholes over 4 inches deep... It won't cross deep water...
Now.. saddle up on one of my big Polari'.... I can run over, push , go thru, or just flat demolish anything in my way... including my brothers Yamaha...
And as for wheelies.. YES.. I can ride wheelies on my Magnum 500 with 27" tires.. and H3LL YES I can ride them on my Scrambler 500... And with that kind of weight.. its nothing but pure POWER lifting those front ends.(The Scrambler has been known to ride wheelies in REVERSE too... Can't get that Honda to do that!!!) I've actually driven the front end of my Magnum up onto of his front rack..Just to see if I could do it..
As for Magazines slammin' Polaris.. I've personally gotten used to it... I don't subscribe to them.. I am hoping that one day they will get a bean counter to do some number crunching and realize that Polaris has/is taking first place.. yet their magazine sales numbers aren't going up... Maybe then, they will realize why...
Writing and griping at them only fuels their mean spiritedness.. You have to hit them where it hurts... $$$$$$$$$$$$.... thats what its all about...

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2000, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yes rooster, I have ridden a 250x (not the 300EX, but similar) and frankly wasn't impressed enough to fall to my knees and pray to it as 4WHLA has.

I too am more than a little disapointed that Polaris hasn't done enough to their sport lineup, but facts are facts. The Scrambler did beat the 300EX in both the drag race and two out of the three on the cross country course. I'm sorry maybe I missed something in the article, wasn't it about who finished first?

Old 03-02-2000, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine,

You are a hard man to be doing that to your brother's quad (LOL). But I do know that you're right about the Rubicon too. Technically, it shouldn't compete with the others, but I'm sure that 4WHLA will dismiss it's short comings to pronounce that it is the greastest sport/ute yet.

Tim1,

That may be what Honda is selling it as, but with 6.7" of suspension it really falls into the sport/ ute catagory than just the utility.

Old 03-02-2000, 11:07 AM
rnl
Trailblazer

I have to shed some light on this subject also. I own both a Polaris and a Honda, both of which I think are great.But I to can't understand how the little ex could actually win this shootou, heck I was baffled on how it beat the warrior. I'm not saying the ex sucks or anything like that, it has its place and serves it's purpose well. But it's like they create categories just to give the ex points. Lets face it, I have rode a ex, and was not impressed at all. Come on guys wakeup, even though the srambler 2x4 weighs more it still blows the ex away. Just my thoughts. Oh by the way Mike, thats one cool sport you got man, it would probably blow my R away!

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Honda Lovers Action does it again!