Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front sprocket loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed my front sprocket is loose on my 01 Scrambler 500. How do you tighten it? My chain is rubbing on the gearcase. I also need to get a service manual. I can't seem to find one. Thanks

Old 05-29-2002, 12:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I could be wrong, I'll check one out at the dealer tomorrow, but the front sprocket can't be tightened, you change it. Sunstar sprockets from Hot Seat, and other sources are far superior to stock units. Your dealer should be able to hook you up with a manual.

Ken

Old 05-29-2002, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

The frt sprocket should move back & forth,yours is most likley worn out from lack of lube.Most people forget or don't know to lube the out put shaft so the gear does move freeley.Good luck Daryl

Old 05-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

So what do you do lube it or buy a new sprocket? I am going to the dealer tonight to feel a new one. How do you lube the out put shaft and where is it? The owner manual they put with the new machines aren’t worth a damn. Thanks

Old 05-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

The sprocket is only as tight as the split ring will hold it. I just changed two front sprockets on buddies quads, and was surprised at how loose the new ones sit on the shaft. I put some synthetic grease on the shaft, slid the sprocket on, and installed the clip. It was very easy.

Old 05-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Range Rover

I just went to the dealer and checked a few 500 and 400 Scramblers new machines and there’s seem tight. What to do?

Old 05-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

I'm having this same problem on my 01 Trailboss, loose front sprocket.
I had a clicking noise and thought it was the chain so I replaced it with a D.I.D X-ring. Now I found out that my front sprocket is loose. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Old 05-30-2002, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

My Polaris dealer told me that it is normal that the front sprocket is loose after you driven it a few miles. He did look at the machine. He said the sprocket can not be tightened. But it is still rubbing on my gear case. There are nicks and gouges on the side of the gearbox. I ride doubles not sure if that has something to do with it. The chain seems fine. He says they all rub on the gearcase. I don’t believe that. It is still under warranty. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-30-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I did not get back to you guys sooner,as I said before the frt sprocket is bad or it is on backwards.There is a lip on it that should face the trans.After riding awhile they do move alot if lubed,but should not hit the trans case.Take a close look and if you can see a lip on it trun it around.Good luck Daryl oh the output shaft is where the sprocket rides.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

I am going to look at some used ones to see if their gearboxes have nicks from the chain on them also to see if their sprockets are loose. My ATV is still under warranty but the dealer that looked at it was not the dealer I bought it from. I thought you said the frt sprocket should move back & forth? My sporcket teeth still looks fine.

Quick Reply: Front sprocket loose