Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 01:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Im from Iowa and Im 15 years old ,16 in a month. I ride a 1987 yamaha moto 4 350cc. It is reliable and its dads. And I OWN AND RIDE A 2000 SPORTSMAN 500. I love it. I also baby it. I am farely knowledgable about polaris. Is there anything I should really be notified about the sp 500. I plan on spending alot of time on this site. How many grease zerks does it have. I have greased alot of grease zerks sence I got it. My neighbor has a 2001 sp ho. We ride ever night. Either the trails or the gravel roads.

quick question, what/where is the cheapest warn winch 2000.

Old 08-17-2002, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

hey whats a grease zerk

~jenny

Old 08-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Jenny, not to sound mean, but I hope you are not doing the maintaince on your quad. A grease zerk, or fitting, is a nipple, i like to call them, that your grease gun is contected to, and 3 shots, maybe more of grease it shot into the fitting.
This is to lubricate the places that need a contast shot of grease to keep everything in working order.

Now, there are a lot on the sp, i'm not sure of the number, someone here can help you with that, but some maybe difficult to find, or get to.
but take the time to hit them all, and you wont have any trouble with your machine.

Old 08-18-2002, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

A good way to find them all is to give your machine a thorough wash, and check at all the pivot points. There are QUITE a few of them.

Old 08-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

WOW, two people on here with Moto 4's. I feel a lot better now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

The old Moto 4 is very reliable. The ignition switch is goin bad. If you hit a bump it will killl out, just reach down twist the key and it will keep on tickin. It doesnt take much to bary it in the mud. Not like the Sportsman. Question does you exsaust/sp? pipe coming out of the head run red hot? Mine does but the Yamaha dealer says it is "normal". It think he is full of crap.

Old 08-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

I do my own maintence on the Sportsman. Is there any tricks you guys know that would help me. Are there any things I should look for?
Also Im going to change my hub oil shortly is there any tricks to this also I dont have a manual for it is there anything I should know about changing this?

Quick note about me I have or can get any tool known to man so I can fix just about anything. I purchased a cv boot clamp crimper from my Snap-on man so I can change boots. My father owns an engine machine shop so like I said I got all the goodies. My dad wasnt realy big on me getting the Sp 500 so he isnt big on helping me fix it but nothing broke yet. Like I said in my first post I baby it I havent let it site out side unless Im sitting on it.
I love this site!! Great Info

Old 08-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

TheWayOut, no my pipe doesn't run red hot, but boy the motor does have a lot of heat coming off it after a long hard ride. Mine may run cooler due to the fact it's a 200cc motor. But if nothing hasn't broke by now, then you sound ok. The only problem I've had out of it is the brakes. Besides that it's been thru hell and back a couple of times, and still fires up on the first push of the button. I did re-ring it back in 97 when she started burning oil, but for an 86, you can't complain. My dad bought it for me new when I was in 1st grade, and I still ride it to this day when my 400 decides it wants to break something.