Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polarisdude & mx tracks = disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would have some fun and take the bikes to a local mx track. Huge mistake. Having a good time putting in laps on my Z (very carefully mind you) I thought I was hotstuff. Let my kid ride it and I played chase on the Blazer. Things were going good into the first corner, he was smoking me. I thought "no problem, just pick it up a bit on the Blazer and my far superior skill should let me run him down." Well at the second corner which was a sharp left turn into a small jump, I gassed the Blazer, went over the jump and hit a hole with my right front, the quad shot to the right, I went over the handlebars with the Blazer hot my heels. It mauled me! I could not get away from it. Luckily only bruised and limping for me, the Blazer has a very bent steering stem from landing on the handlebar completely upside down, ripped off the master cylinder and throttle, broke all of the nose plastic off and some other damage. What a day, I have proved to myself that I am to old, (or to complacent) for a MX track(HAHA). Anybody else got some good wipeout stories? Time for somemore Advil.
PD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2002, 12:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Ouch, I know a nifty, but wicked "practice track in southern Minnesota...Meadow Valley. Just down from Millville (the nationals track). I've got buds who race 250A, and it sometimes gives them the puckers (pucker=that not so comfortable feeling in your rear, when you think you can make it....you hope you can make it...wew, you made it)

There is a Trailblazer "God" in mid-Minnesota named Tracy Robinson. He's got his TB down to I think 275 lbs, or something rediculous like that. He flies through the air with the best of 'em.

Ken

Old 08-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

I went out on my first time on a MX track this year. My very first lap out, I started out following a 250R. I was enjoying the fact that he couldn't really pull away from me. We were getting to half way point around the track. Made a hard left turn followed by what apeared to be a table top. Not being real sure, I easied up a little before take off(big mistake). It turned out to be 20 foot double that started from a 6 foot tall jump with a big incline. Well, since I didn't stay hard on the gas like the R did, I came up real short. Landed on the flat(between the jumps). All in all, I went about ten feet straight up, then ten feet straight down. Let me just say that stock suspension was not meant to take a ten foot free fall. Didn't wreck but, the force of the landing made my head come down on my handle bars. I thought it just knocked me silly. Shock it off and kept going. A couple of laps later, noticed blood all over me and my quad. Went back to the pits to find a HUGE gash in my chin. Took four stitches to close it back up. The doc was even impressed with how deep it was.
The lesson in all this, atleast take a warm up lap before you think you are superman. Still can't bring myself to get that double.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

I'm 3 weeks into building a track on mine and my neighbors collective properties. We have been cutting down some huge trees. The course is very twisty and there are a lot of steeeeep hills. Maybe we will keep the bigger jumps out until we get better. My 560lb firetruck has bottomed out on 3 footers. Is there a solution to wicked nose dives either?

Old 08-27-2002, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

I don't believe there is a solution for the nose dives other than aluminum wheels and other weight reducers. Doubles are killers if you come up short. I took three wipe outs last weekend on a riding trip up to the UP;
1. On the shore line of lake superior I was getting some video for a movie. I was riding wheelies along the shore when I got sucked in to the water and whipped sideways and off of my quad and into the freezing cold water. We did get it on tape though.

2. Going through a mud hole with big truck tracks on each side. I was trying to ride along the side and stay out of the 3 foot deep water when I got spun sideways by the rut and bucked off the back of the quad right into the mud.

3. Was going through the woods when a branch hit the top of my wrist(I have a twist grip) and pinned the throttle flipping me off the back AGAIN.

Had a rough week but it was still fun

Old 08-28-2002, 08:00 AM
Range Rover

I ordered a set of Works suspension the day after my impact. I still land about as hard but I don't bottom out anymore so that makes it easier to handle those hard landings.
Their is a big race this up coming weekend at that same track. I think I'm going to go.

Old 08-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Me and a group of friends went to Red River New Mexico to do some trail riding and some sight seeing and we were going through a stream pretty fast and getting soaked in the process. When I went through the stream I was pretty pumped and tried to turn around too fast and quick and ended up going off the trail and halfway down the mountain before my quad hit a stump threw me over the handlebars and went through about four trees worth of branches before I finally stopped. I got up and started my way back up the mountain with blood all over me. I got to the top with everybody freaking out because I had a stick in my head. In between my scalp and skull. I jumped on another quad and rushed back to town where they shipped me off to a bigger town with better facilites and got 32 stiches to sew my scalp back on. I now mainly stick with sand but you know what, I never ride now without a helmet. If I would just have had a helmet on I would have gotten out with just a scratch on my arm. Hard lesson learned.