Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Who's writing the test articals in the magazines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2000, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do they get the "test riders" for the magazines? Santa Anita? Hollywood Park? Are they jockeys during the week? When these use the commode do their feet even touch the floor?
With all of the bad mouthing of the handlebars and width of the transmission, these guys must have a stack of phone books on the seat of thier mini-trucks......
Now I'm 5'10" 230Lbs. and a commercial diver by trade, so I'm not a fat slob by any means...
The Polaris Scrambler 400 4X2 I tried in the showroom felt comfortable to me......
What's the deal????

Old 03-22-2000, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

i know what you mean,the test riders for the atv magazines either dont know their *** from a hole in the ground or there heads are too far up their asses for them to write an honest review of 4-wheelers. in those magazines they allways screw up the atv specs and give a good quad bad reviews.
-atver400

Old 03-22-2000, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, I know what you mean. I just wrote Dirt Wheels and asked them how they drag race a Polaris against a manual tranny machine, as they always seem to have this belt lag thing. I pull hole shots on everything I run against by powerbraking. I told them it seemed they are uneasy and unfamiliar with Polaris Atv's. They seem to be sport/MX race type riders and I doubt any of them ever use a Polaris as their full time ride. Just a guess, but I bet they are California kids living in the suburbs, that have to trailer a machine to the mountains or dunes to go for a ride. They don't live and work with their atv's everyday and don't realize what a pain in the butt a manual sport type machine would be to those who do. They don't understand the joy of having machines that can do everything you need them to do.

Old 03-22-2000, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

I agree with you guys seems to me, in their minds if it doesnt race the circuit, it sucks. I would say most of those guys havent had to pay for a quad or parts for a long, long time. They dont care about quality or durability because those things dont matter to them and they have probably never actually USED a quad. We know what we like and we will still buy what we want but i would like to see some real people in jeans and a t-shirt riding instead of has been racers.

Old 03-23-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I think they run Polaris down because they are not the old conventional setup and they never ride one long enough to be able to give a reveiw of one.

I have been guilty of the same. I talked down on a Mojave for over 10 years. Why? Because I wrecked the 1st ride on the 1st one I rode. It was way different from the quad I had at the time. Now some 10+ years later, I rode one long enough to get used to it. I like what is has to offer now and I feel bad about downing it to myself for so long when I could have been enjoying what it has to offer for the past 10 years.

Anyways, you all should see the B/S in the April issue of 4-Wheel ATV Action. In my world, if a sport quad is faster in a drag race and wins 2 out of 3 laps on a twisty track with 3 different riders, then it wins a sport quad shootout. Even if it weighs 111 LBS more. To me, the weight difference just makes the 300EX look worse. Not to mention the poor design on the choke and reverse or the fact that the chassis is from the old 250X.

Though I can't say I wouldn't like lower handle bars and seat height, plus double A-Arms on the Scrambler 400 for more agressive riding.

Just my 2 cents...keep the change!

Old 03-23-2000, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

They run down the Polaris PVT, and then give the Kawasaki Prarie ATV of the year for copying the design.

Old 03-23-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

I agree I ride with a 2000 Praire 300 with my Xplorer 250 and , mine is quicker and will leave his stuck in the mud. More suspension travel, mine is actually lighter. Handles better. He even admits he should have bought the Xplorer. About the only things i like better on his are the lights and the shaft, even though my chain has given me no trouble, besides tightening it.

Old 03-23-2000, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

They are used to riding 250R's and Banshees. When I get off my Scrambler, I am happy. When I get off a Banshee and onto my Scrambler, I start to see the things they are talking about. And same goes the other way around, if I get off one machine that is "bad" and onto one that's "good" the traits of the "good" quad stick out even more.

A lot of things are false. A lot of things are stretched. But a lot of things are true, and you just wouldn't notice them if you don't have the ride time on other machines to make a fair comparison.

For isntance, does the Scrambler handle great? I would say yea. If I was used to riding a 250R, I would probaly think different.

I am not really trying to defend the magazine, but just trying to put it in perspective a little bit.

Old 03-23-2000, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

but you people dont understand that a 300ex is a very nice four wheeler. It has a good suspension
and a lot of speed.

97' 300ex

Old 03-24-2000, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

CaptNemo,

I'll take a guess and say that the test riders are professional crack addicts, picked off the street at random. (LOL)

Quick Reply: Who's writing the test articals in the magazines?