Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Tool????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 11:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need any special tool to put a HPD clutch kit in a Scrambler?

Old 09-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

If you are getting the kit with springs, helix, etc., you have to remove the primary and secondary clutches. You need a special clutch puller to remove the primary clutch to avoid damaging the clutch. I read a post here somewhere that said you could use a trailer ball and a piece of 1/2" rod to remove the primary clutch. I checked my clutch tool against a trailer ball and they are indeed threaded the same. If you have a trailer ball with a 3/4" shank (the 3/4" shank is the smaller diameter of what is available) and some 1/2" rod, you can make your own. If you don't, go ahead and buy the tool from HPD when you get your clutch kit. It won't cost you much more than a trailer ball and rod and you can focus on the clutch kit. Good Luck.

SurferSam

Old 09-09-2002, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

For the basic clutch set from HPD you should not have to remove the whole primany assembley, No special tools are needed.
The Primary gets new weights and engagement spring.You will be able to install these with the unit still on the quad

Seconday will need to come off(no puller), The Helix and spring will get replaced.
You will need a set of Snap Ring plyers. There is a special tool that would help in the aid of reassembly of the secondary but, it can, and ussually is done without by most. Having a friend handly would be helpful.
Also make sure you wind at least 1/4 to 1/2 turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

Old 09-09-2002, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer

Bubascrambler is correct. You can install the kit with the primary on the engine driveshaft. It's late and I had it in my mind to remove it. Nothing like making something simple more difficult.
SurferSam

Old 09-09-2002, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Bubbascrambler...I have had my secondary clutch apart to replace clutch buttons, I don't remember turning the spring 1/4 - 1/2 turn. What would this do?

Old 09-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Jtrundle, if you dont wind the secondary spring (1/3 is the exact), then it will not have pretension on the secondary drive and cause quite a bogging problem when trying to accelerate. The primary clutch is easy to work on still on the machine, although you should try installing the race springs (blue&violet) without any tools. That is a 2 man job! Bubba

Old 09-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

you don't have to do any "winding" on the primary spring do you? You just slide it on and then put the cover on it, right?

Old 09-10-2002, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Correct, No winding the primary, Just push in and start the bolts
With a strong primary (Like bubba297 said May need a little help).

Old 09-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Like I said on an earlier post, I don't remeber winding the secondary spring, but I don't have any bogging down problems. Do you think I need to take it apart and wind it?

Old 09-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes, you need to disassembly it to wind it. I normally tell people to use a permanent marker. Make a mark in the helix(drum)and the inner sheave BEFORE you unwind, then make another mark (different color...one red, one black)when you are finished unwinding it. For first-timers, this makes an easier referrence. If you don't have the secondary clutch compressing fixture, you can place a roll of masking tape on the floor, and set the rounded cone of the clutch in it. This kinda helps stabilize things.

Ken

Quick Reply: Clutch Tool????