Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris owners: how do you like Goodyear Rawhides?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Prairie 650... the stock tires sucked. So I put the Rawhides on the P650 and I love them.
They are a good all around semi aggressive tire. They ride incredibly smooth for that thick of lug and there is no tractoring...

all in all a great tire.

Old 09-24-2002, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

DASH:
How would you rate the Rawhide's as opposed to the Kenda Bearclaws. I rode with a couple of buddy's yesterday who both own 500 H.O.'S...The tires seemed real nice. I kept beating the p*ss out of my rims due to the soft stockers on my big Kawi. I am really leaning towards the bearclaws...especially the 12in wide ones. Incidently I rode one of the 500 ho's and found it to be a nice machine overall...however that linked brake system is not nice at all. I almost went over the handle bars once...and my buddy almost went *** over while backing down a hill he couldn't make. The bike looks nice,rides nice and performs nice. It's not for me but it would make alot of people happy. The power and speed of the Kawi P650...especially under acceleration is in another league however, and it's a much sportier machine...which appeals to me. All in all it was a great day, we each took turns getting stuck and had a blast.

ROB

Old 09-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

kawirob...

Honestly, I am not sure about the bearclaws. I thought heavily about the 589s, bearclaws and mudrunners ... but choose the rawhide grips over the other three for a couple of reasons. The main reasons I did'nt want to loose any power or ride comfort. Most of the aggressive tires seem to add a lot of unneeded weight I also did'nt want any vibration or tractoring ( If I wanted vibration I would have bought the grizzly)

The Rawhide Grips ride is smoooooth. There is no loss of power... ( I still hit 63 mph in the blink of an eye) and it handles soooo much better than the stockers. The rear tires are 11"wide so they will not rub on the gas tank (the mudrunners 589s etc are 12 widths and that leaves about a half inch between right rear tire and gas tank) The Rawhides are also a little taller than the stock dunlops. They are much more rigid than the dunlops as well wich means no give on the sidewalls. I ride all types of terrain and they have been a good fit for my style of riding

Not only do they perform great...they look great on the P650.

I would definetly buy them again

Old 09-24-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]I wish you guys with Prairies wouldn't put Rawhides on. That would allow you to keep up with the 700s in every way but ground clearance. I bet you'll start seeing much better stock tires on new machines. You gotta admit, 700 kicked butt last year in part because the Grizzly and the Prairie came with sh#t for tires, absolute crap.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

There is a lot of good info in this post. Lets not let this post turn into a Sportsman Vs Grizzly Vs Prairie post. We've seen enough of those.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, my bad. I was actually trying to give them props (sort of), but you're right. I can't help it, I love the competition between the brands. Its part of the fun!

Old 09-25-2002, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

Hey we enjoy the occasional ribbing...my prairie practicaly spun the lugs off the stock tires.. The rawhides really do grip...

Old 09-25-2002, 02:08 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Dash

I have had bearclaws and Rawhides and I would choose the Rawhide over the bearclaw. The Rawhides are just a little higher quality tire than the Bearclaw (the 8X12X25" Bearclaws run a little short where the 12.5X10X25 run true to size). My brother has a set on his Sportsman and the front seem shorter than the rear tires.

Old 09-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

I would suggest not going with the Rawhides,Don't get me wrong they are a great working tire but they are very heavy and if you can,have a look at any Sportsman and see how many wheel weights it takes to get them to stop shaking your teeth out.I have seen alot of these tires replaced because they are so out of balance.I fyou like the Good Years I like the Mud Runners.

Old 09-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I have no wheel weights on mine and they do not shake. Furthermore, I have never seen a wheel weight on an atv tire. I don't know of anybody who balances atv tires. what the heck are you talking about?

Quick Reply: Polaris owners: how do you like Goodyear Rawhides?