Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tornado II Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the long post...

While looking through the hair dryer post, I was kinda intrigued by this dirtroad mag article:

Dirtroad Magazine -- Tornado Air, Gimmick or Good Idea?

It's an article about the Tornado Air II -- a device that you slip into your air tube and *supposedly* miraculously increases HP and fuel consumption by better atomizing fuel in both fuel injected and carborated engines. After reading that, I went to the company's site (www.tornadoair.com), where they actually have an ABC News endorsement showing that it works -- dyno tested -- on one of ABC News' SUVs (They have a short video clip of the actual aired segment in MPEG or Real Audio format). They show the difference in consuming one cup of gas @60 mph on a dyno. The SUV went 2.6 miles before burning the cup of gas without the Tornado, and 3.0 miles with it. They repeated the test, and got the same results. The company's own vid, which is longer, shows the HP increase on a dyno. (About 12 HP for a V6 FI).

Anyway, I read on the company site that all I'd have to do is measure the air intake tube's diameter to order one of their parts. So I did, and they have on that will exactly fit the intake tube on my Scramber 500. I measured the air tube on my car, and just by chance, it's also the same size.

Has anybody ever tried one of these before? I saw the infomercial a while back and wrote it off as complete bull. However, after Dirtroad and ABC news say it works, I'm second guessing my original assessment. Would it be feasible to try this unit on a quad, in spite of weaker vacuum in the intake tube?

What does everyone think?

Old 10-04-2002, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know how it would work on a quad, but a friend of mine has one on his mini-van and swears by it.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think it would work great. The more turbulents in the intake, the better the fuel atomizes and mixes up. This creates a more consistent burn in your cylinder and reduces the amount of unburnt fuel being wasted which is why you get increases in hp and fuel economy. What kind of car do you drive/year/model. I might order one for my Scrambler if it is the same size as your car.Easier that way then screwing around with measurements.

Old 10-05-2002, 01:48 AM
Range Rover

Sounds tempting. Just pick up my new SP700 and so far gas mileage=poop. 10% increase??? being able to go 5-7 miles more between feedings is worth the $68. Beyond that, the added power would be a bonus.

Old 10-05-2002, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

Pure garbage...

When was the last time you saw ANYTHING good sold on infomercials???

Old 10-05-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

When have I seen anything good on infomercials? Hmmm Well, we use a lot of Oxyclean, it works fantastic, just like they say! Amsoil synthetic oil is awesome, too. The idea behind the tornado makes a lot of sense, I think it would work. I haven't tried it, but I am considering it. Dieselpro, have you tried it? I know what you mean about infomercials, because often they seem to be pushing foolish stuff, but if it wasn't for advertising none of us would own anything.
A 12 hp and 13% mpg increase sounds good on a 175 hp (or so) V6, but 12 hp is negligible on my big block. I wonder if it would be good for as much percentage-wise... Speaking of gas mileage, how much is 13% of next to nothing? ha ha

Old 10-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

SwampDonkeyKiller -- I'm going to measure the intake tubes again today to make absolute certain that they are the same size. (I took them in a hurry yesterday, in low light). I'll PM you when I find out the exact size. Shouldn't be later than this afternoon.

Old 10-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

For anybody who wants to know, the Tornado Part # to order for the Scrambler 500 is "Ki-60". (This is because the interior diameter of the air tube on the Scrambler 500 measures 60mm). I'm assuming that it would be the same size for any ATV running a 500 HO engine. I'm going to order one, because that size happens to fit both the car and the quad. I'll let ya know how it works!