Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Desperately need to know Maintenance with a '01 Scrambler 500 2x4......HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i've own a scrambler (not mine, dads) for over 10 months now. we've had a blast on both of them so far. however, my dad has not taken much time to check in on maintenance. i know basically everything to do on the 250, but the scrambler is definitely a problem.heres what i need to know:

1. Stock Air Filter cleaning and oiling (dont have aclue on how to clean and oil it...need detailed instructions)

2. Chain Maintenance (when to look at it, what to oil it with, amount of play in it, 250 is shaft so i dont need to adjust anything)

3.liquid cooling system (last time out, the scrambler had the fan running to cool it off from overheating....what does it need)

4.Ticking noise in engine (only does it at certain rpm....machine is not over 100 hours old....am told it is normal)

5. servince, tune ups (did one 7 hours of riding ago, i try to go once/20 hours of riding for oil change, etc.)

if anyone can help me out, i'd appreciate it very much.
Thank You,
Ryan

Old 10-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

<< 1. Stock Air Filter cleaning and oiling (dont have aclue on how to clean and oil it...need detailed instructions) >>

Thats not stock but go to pepboys or some other auto parts store and get a K&amp;N cleaning kit.You spray the cleaner on and in 10mins you rinse it off.Let it compleatly dry then oil it.

<< 2. Chain Maintenance (when to look at it, what to oil it with, amount of play in it, 250 is shaft so i dont need to adjust anything) >>

Look at it whenever you look at the bike.I use PJ1(autoparts store)

<< 3.liquid cooling system (last time out, the scrambler had the fan running to cool it off from overheating....what does it need) >>

Thats normal,just make sure you check the coolant leval in the res.

<< 4.Ticking noise in engine (only does it at certain rpm....machine is not over 100 hours old....am told it is normal >>

????Dont know

<< Text5. servince, tune ups (did one 7 hours of riding ago, i try to go once/20 hours of riding for oil change, etc.) >>

depending on how much you ride,twice a year is good.I think oil change is 50hrs,gearcase is 100hrs.Airfilter is after every dirty ride or 5-6 clean rides.
Where in Jersey are you at?

Old 10-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock air filters are changed not cleaned and oiled.

Old 10-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

<<

<< 1. Stock Air Filter cleaning and oiling (dont have aclue on how to clean and oil it...need detailed instructions) >>

Thats not stock but go to pepboys or some other auto parts store and get a K&amp;N cleaning kit.You spray the cleaner on and in 10mins you rinse it off.Let it compleatly dry then oil it.

<< 2. Chain Maintenance (when to look at it, what to oil it with, amount of play in it, 250 is shaft so i dont need to adjust anything) >>

Look at it whenever you look at the bike.I use PJ1(autoparts store)

<< 3.liquid cooling system (last time out, the scrambler had the fan running to cool it off from overheating....what does it need) >>

Thats normal,just make sure you check the coolant leval in the res.

<< 4.Ticking noise in engine (only does it at certain rpm....machine is not over 100 hours old....am told it is normal >>

????Dont know

<< Text5. servince, tune ups (did one 7 hours of riding ago, i try to go once/20 hours of riding for oil change, etc.) >>

depending on how much you ride,twice a year is good.I think oil change is 50hrs,gearcase is 100hrs.Airfilter is after every dirty ride or 5-6 clean rides.
Where in Jersey are you at?
>>

i live in Jackson....what do you mean by your advice on the filter? it's not K&amp;N, and it aint foam, it's this Cylinder shaped thing with a black skin over it. since we bought it used (we ride on a regular basis with the guy who sold it to us) and next time i talk to him i'll ask him how to do it. also where in the hell can i get a grease gun? where can i find them and how much does it cost? our scrambler's zerks are bone dry..by the way, do you ride at njorvp?

Old 10-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

<< Stock air filters are changed not cleaned and oiled. >>

what? if that's the case then how often do you change them? i dont think that's correct...i gotta get a foam unit for the scrambler anyway, this is really aggravating me that it aint as easy to service as the 250ex.

Old 10-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry dude ,
I saw your sig

<< Text'01 Scrambler 500 2x4- K&amp;N Oil Filter >>

and thought you had a K&amp;N[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]duh
The stock filter is a throw away(paper),the prefilter (black skin)is washable.
Get yourself a foam filter or K&amp;N
Grease guns at sears,homedepot,walmart,auto stores.
Get a good grease like mobil one,not that black nasty stuff.

<< ..by the way, do you ride at njorvp? >>

No,but I'v ridden the trails around the park

Old 10-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

then stock air filter is a paper element with a black prefilter that covers it. Buy a K&amp;N filter and a outwears prefilter. That way when it gets dirty, you can clean it and re-oil it instead of replacing the filter

Old 10-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

<< Sorry dude ,
I saw your sig

<< Text'01 Scrambler 500 2x4- K&amp;N Oil Filter >>

and thought you had a K&amp;N[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]duh
The stock filter is a throw away(paper),the prefilter (black skin)is washable.
Get yourself a foam filter or K&amp;N
Grease guns at sears,homedepot,walmart,auto stores.
Get a good grease like mobil one,not that black nasty stuff.

<< ..by the way, do you ride at njorvp? >>

No,but I'v ridden the trails around the park
>>

cool man....so i buy another filter at my polaris dealer?
i gotta switch over to foam...these filters suck.
i'm thinking about surprising my dad for xmas with either a uni or twin air foam filter and a K&amp;N Jet Kit...i think he'd be surprised.

How much do grease guns go for? can i buy the mobil grease from the gas stations or would i have to go to an auto store?i have a tight budget (dont work yet, 15th b-day is next week so i'll have a job after that) so that's why i need to know. later

where do you live?

Old 10-06-2002, 11:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I am sure that foam would work good, and i think that you can clean it. I personally like my K&amp;N. I bought mine from http://www.rockymountainmc.com They have some of the best deals on atv parts. I bought my grease gun for about $20 at NAPA. Make sure you get one with a flexable hose. I have Polaris grease right now. I have also run high temp wheel bearing and chassis grease for farm tractors. That stuff worked really good as well. I would really suggest getting a prefilter for your air filter. you will have to clean it a lot less often. Also, make sure you get a recharger or cleaning kit

Old 10-07-2002, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

<< Textcool man....so i buy another filter at my polaris dealer? >>

I dont know if polaris dealers carry them,try highlifter,or denniskirk
Foam filters are better for dusty riding,I use K&amp;N because their better for waterproofing and I'm always sinking my bike.
Walmart,pepboys,K Marthave have guns and mobil one,but any waterproof synt.grease will do.
If you lived any closer I'd give you one of my 6 guns,The only one I use now, is the lincon battery gun.

Quick Reply: Desperately need to know Maintenance with a '01 Scrambler 500 2x4......HELP!!!