Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New 700 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 700 questions.

my sp700 had the same rattle,,it was plastic hose with hard plastic elbow at the end rattling against the underside of the tank,,also fr,rear,racks rattled,,take them off run a strip of weather stripping along the support tubes put rack back on titen down...

i have since traded the 700 in after it only 4 months, it had problems and the dealer game me the run around,so i went to another dealer and traded it for my sp500ho freedom,,,

good luck with your 700..

my next ride will be the 600........i will wait a yr. or so to see how the 600 makes out..

my sp500 gives me the "way out"

the 700 made me worry,,how far should i go from home......

Old 10-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

I tried the vibration on the tube under the seat and that was not it. Tonight while doing 30-35 mph there is a very bad vibration that I feel in the handle bars. Its like having an old 4x4 truck and running it down a paved road in 4x4. Go slower and its gone, punch it and it is not as noticable but hard to notice from the motor vibration. And like before when I let off of the gas and coast from any speed there is a loud grear grinding/rattling noise. Is this all still normal? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2002, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

grinding is not usually normal in any instance. Its metal to metal most likely right. ive had mud and rocks make wicked noises on rotors but its usually metal. Id find another 700 owner to ride it and see what he thinks.
food for thought if my 700 is really a 683 shouldnt we call it a 685 or a 690? I guess if we are already rounding up Might as well go big.

Old 10-22-2002, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I thought Polaris had a replacement?
I read there was a new water pump cover for the 700.
Is it not working either?

Old 10-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

I think the water pump is working, I see no leaks and the bottle is always at the min mark when cold, I just wanted to know if there was an automatic replacement or how to tell if mine is the new one or already changed out. Crap I can't tell for sure where the thing is!

I fixed the hood rattle by putting weather stripping on the hood up front. I still have the 30 mph bad vibration thing and I called my dealer to see if they could help, but they couldn't diagnose over the phone and said bring it in Oct 1 or so. I am 4 hrs away and the dealer in my home town won't look at it because I didn't buy it from him. I saved $2500 by driving to Utah and thought that warranty work wouldn't be needed for months if at all. I know of a local guy that just bought a 700 but he is out hunting for another week and I will get with him and compare. Seems like it should be an easy task to just call a dealer and find out if my noise/vibration is normal or not, oh well.

Old 10-23-2002, 06:40 AM
Trailblazer

If you want to fix that Clunck,,pick up a heelclicker clutch kit.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

IWEB, HEATMISER,
the new water pump kit is working! i have an '02 and '03 700 that both had the upgrade done. they do not leak anymore.
it's easy to tell the difference. the old style has a 'rib' like bracket holding on the water pump. this style bracket does not put even pressure on the pump...thus it leaks.
the new style is a wide, flat, fat bracket holding on the water pump.
in my area, '03 700s produced BEFORE 9/02 have the old style and they will leak. my dealer has an '03 on the showroom floor with 0 miles and it's a leaker. (rub your hand on the botom of the pump, if it leaks, you'll know!)

i suggest that if you guys have the old-style, get the kit done ASAP. my Mossy-Oak '03 is the only one that didn't leak because it came with the new style bracket.(build date 9/02)

i'm very happy now. mine are fixed and i have 3 TERRIFIC Sportsman 700 ATVs!

no problems![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-MT

Old 10-23-2002, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

I would'nt go with the build date because I saw 2 SP700's on my dealers showroom floor with build date 09/27 and 09/28 they both did not have the upgrade! Mabey they are B/O from their supplier?

Old 10-23-2002, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

I called another dealer about the terrible vibration at 30 mph and he said he has worked on 10 new Sportsman for the same problem and gets 1-2 calls every week about the same which is in the front end. The owner of the dealership has 2 new 700's and one does and the other does not. They tore the one down and inspected every item and couldn't find anything wrong so they replaced everything and it still does it. They called Polaris and got the check this and that and then thats the way its supppose to be. They even called a bunch of dealers in Minn. and none of them could find a fix but had the same complaints. The older Sportsman does not have this problem and some of the new does and some do not have this. Mine does so I'm pissed, 20 miles on the bike and it is so rough and loud that it is not fun to ride.

What can anyone do since Polaris will not/cannot fix it?

Old 10-24-2002, 07:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

have you tried that string test? in the owner's manual it demonstrates how to check the toe-in/out on the front end. my guess would be that a front tire may be out of alignment. combine that with the aggressive tread, and that could cause a good vibration at certain speeds.
on one of my SP500's a few years ago the toe got skrewed-up. when i used to drive it in to back of my truck, i would squish the front tires between the wheel wells thus forcing them towards each other. and yes, it caused a problem when i rode it at higher speeds. the dealer corrected it for me and told me what i was doing wrong.
BTW, are your tires balanced? can you see wheel weights on them? mine are and i have tested them at 30-35 and feel nothing out of the norm.

good luck and that's my 2 cents![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

and damn! put some miles on that ATV and enjoy it before the snow flys! LOL

see-ya,
-MT

Quick Reply: New 700 questions.